Coastal Helicopter Reviews Please

FishersFrogs

Used coastal Helicopter when we went to Juneau and all I can say it was the most fantastic experience. We were weighed for placement in the Helicopter and went up Herbert glacier to see the dogs. If your able you can lead the dogs or just sit in the sled. Went sledding around the park in the snow.,then got to see and enjoy the new puppies. We then went higher up the glacier to walk around and enjoyi the scenery at the glacier. What an exceptional day.It is expensive but worth it. The scenery is just breathtaking. Definitely recommend Coastal and this excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Missymo

Used coastal Helicopter when we went to Juneau and all I can say it was the most fantastic experience. We were weighed for placement in the Helicopter and went up Herbert glacier to see the dogs. If your able you can lead the dogs or just sit in the sled. Went sledding around the park in the snow.,then got to see and enjoy the new puppies. We then went higher up the glacier to walk around and enjoyi the scenery at the glacier. What an exceptional day.It is expensive but worth it. The scenery is just breathtaking. Definitely recommend Coastal and this excursion.

I booked us with them for their dog sled and extra landing tour....is that the same you had? I saw great reviews of them and am looking forward to this excursion of all of them I think...3rd trip to Alaska and making this one a bit more adventurous :o

I booked us with them for their dog sled and extra landing tour....is that the same you had? I saw great reviews of them and am looking forward to this excursion of all of them I think...3rd trip to Alaska and making this one a bit more adventurous :o

Yes. The same. Great Company to deal with. Also took a four seater floatplane in Misty Fjords to find Bears. Alas it was during a heat wave in Alaska , beautiful scenery but no bears[emoji19]. Would do this trip again

Coastal Helicopters is an outstanding tour operation. Have been up there several times, and so have my dogs. Sebastian Schnuelle runs the dog sledding operation and it is first class. He is running Iditarod again this year, and has won the Yukon Quest. All of his guides are excellent. All of them have raced. All of them are dog people. You will be in good hands. He does have a FB that you can see the dogs he will be bringing up to the glacier this summer and get to know them ahead of time..:)

Coastal Helicopters is an outstanding tour operation. Have been up there several times, and so have my dogs. Sebastian Schnuelle runs the dog sledding operation and it is first class. He is running Iditarod again this year, and has won the Yukon Quest. All of his guides are excellent. All of them have raced. All of them are dog people. You will be in good hands. He does have a FB that you can see the dogs he will be bringing up to the glacier this summer and get to know them ahead of time..:)

Since you are so involved in the doggies :) I was wondering if you could direct me to a book (or anything really) that would be interesting and understanding for a younger child. That would be more wondrous, if you will. Those 2 inch small printed books are not the answer. In other words, I'm looking for something that a 6, 8, 9 and 12 YO could read before the cruise and get some knowledge and excitement about the Iditarod.

We are doing the glacier with the doggies and then we are doing the one where they are on dirt. That is my backup in case the weather is not great. One way or another I want them to see those beautiful dogs and experience their wonder.

I'm not a big Facebook person so I'm not sure I'll be able to get there but the problem is, I only have 2 or the 4 during the year and the other two I won't see again until the cruise. So I'd like to be able to offer the parents something or somewhere where the kids can look to learn about first.

Many years ago I did the helicopter trip and have always said it was the most amazing shore excursion I've ever done. Hopefully I can now say this one is.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I'll just add: I've spent quite a bit of time talking to Coastal Helicopters and they have been great to work with including personalizing our trip. Great guys.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We took a ride up to Herbert Glacier this past May but didn't do any dog sledding. I thought Coastal Helicopters did a fine job. I was impressed with the pilot - a very, very smooth flight. He didn't bank and jerk at all which is helpful when people might be nervous about the whole flight anyway - we pretty much lifted straight up, got to moving forward (without tilting forward) then increased altitude as we moved along. Landing was equally smooth. The pilot was knowledgeable about everything and gave a good commentary of what we were seeing. They locked our belongings in a big trunk and it stayed locked (I suppose... :) ) until we returned. We were also weighed and lined up in the order we were supposed to board the helicopter. My only complaint...we were placed four across in the back seat with two smaller ladies in the front. Us in the back were packed in so tight we could barely move - I'm on the husky side. I have another trip up there in the planning stages for four and it will include my brother-in-law who is about 6'7" and 350 pounds. I'm going to talk to them about more of a private trip that is only us four so we won't be so crowded - I'm willing to pay extra. Otherwise, I was very pleased - I wouldn't be considering them again if I wasn't. Good luck!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Thanks for the reviews. Seriously considering booking the Taku Glacier flight & air-boat package for my wife and I. I need to get a little more info from them first concerning some physical limitations she has as far as climbing in to copter and boat. Also how much walking is required - such as from helicopter to boat.

Thanks for the reviews. I need to get a little more info from them first concerning some physical limitations she has as far as climbing in to copter and boat. Also how much walking is required - such as from helicopter to boat.

I have a bit of trouble with balance but was determined to to the helicopter and dog sledding, glacier. Getting in and out of the copter was no problem but I have to personally say the toughest thing for me was the walking from the helicopter to the dog sleds in the snow/ice. I am a Miami Girl and have not been in snow for 35 years.We were all given special ice boots which did help with balance but I had to walk pretty slow to even feel secure on the ice Once I got into the sled I plopped down and didn't move oil the ride was finished. lol. . Still loved the tour and would do again.

Since you are so involved in the doggies :) I was wondering if you could direct me to a book (or anything really) that would be interesting and understanding for a younger child. That would be more wondrous, if you will. Those 2 inch small printed books are not the answer. In other words, I'm looking for something that a 6, 8, 9 and 12 YO could read before the cruise and get some knowledge and excitement about the Iditarod.

We are doing the glacier with the doggies and then we are doing the one where they are on dirt. That is my backup in case the weather is not great. One way or another I want them to see those beautiful dogs and experience their wonder.

I'm not a big Facebook person so I'm not sure I'll be able to get there but the problem is, I only have 2 or the 4 during the year and the other two I won't see again until the cruise. So I'd like to be able to offer the parents something or somewhere where the kids can look to learn about first.

Many years ago I did the helicopter trip and have always said it was the most amazing shore excursion I've ever done. Hopefully I can now say this one is.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I'll just add: I've spent quite a bit of time talking to Coastal Helicopters and they have been great to work with including personalizing our trip. Great guys.

Here is a list of books that might appeal to you. They can be found at Barnes and Noble and/or Amazon....

kindle version....for adults or older children... The first Iditarod by Helen Hegener

Iditarod Adventure by Le Freedman...illustrated by Jon Van Zyle a very well know Alaskan Artist....for older kids

Iditarod Dream, Dusty ahd his sled dogs compete in the Jr. Iditarod....(did you know we have a race in the wilderness that is about 150 miles for kids from 14-17....???? lots of scholarship money...

Storm Run....Younger kids...by Libby Riddles...the story or how she was the first woman to win Iditarod....Very well written...and illustrated.

Sled dogs Run by Jonathan London and again illustrated by Jon VanZyle...There will be several books for young readers on the ship, and in Juneau, Libby comes on board and she sells her books and gives a wonderful talk and film on sled dogs.

I will have 3 of my dogs running with Misha Wilkes this year. Iditarod has a great web site that you can look at which tells all about the race and the people who will be in it this year.

Edited by laughing husky
addition

Coastal is a long standing well run vendor, but so are the other 3, ERA and TEMSO. Pick the one who fits your time and budget best. I have gone with all of them several times.

A 4th vendor- Northstar- excellent for glacier trekking tours.

Coastal is a long standing well run vendor, but so are the other 3, ERA and TEMSO. Pick the one who fits your time and budget best. I have gone with all of them several times.

A 4th vendor- Northstar- excellent for glacier trekking tours.

I was going to answer: Yes, but in this case based on recommendations (some from you) I have already booked with Coastal.

Then I realized it was not all about me OR my question :D Thanks for being out there to help so many people with Alaska questions.

• 3 months later...