Magic Balcony

Cookie2boys

For those of you that have taken the western (Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya) which side of the ship offers the best balcony view when in ports. When I booked, I choose a port side not even thinking about the view. If starboard side is better i'm not sure if I can change without a fee.

For those of you that have taken the western (Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya) which side of the ship offers the best balcony view when in ports. When I booked, I choose a port side not even thinking about the view. If starboard side is better i'm not sure if I can change without a fee.

Ships don't always dock facing the same direction, so you never know what side will have the best view. If you are doing excursions, it won't really matter anyway, because you will be off exploring the port while in port. And if you choose to stay on the ship, you can always sit out on deck somewhere with the view you are looking for anyway.

When are you cruising, just out of curiosity? I'm doing the same itinerary on the Magic next year, 10/28/17 specifically.

As a PP stated the ships can either pull in or back in and there is no rhyme or reason for which they do. Also there are usually several other ships in port with you and they may be at a pier that's in between your ship and the port.

However as a general rule for Coz and Mahogany Bay if you want to watch the ship coming into port, the port side is better because even if the ship backs into the pier that maneuver isn't done until the last minute.

Belize doesn't have a pier, you anchor way out to where you can't hardly see the island and take a 20 minute tender ride into the port.

I haven't been to Costa Maya for a long time so I can't really say.

"ships can either pull in or back in and there is no rhyme or reason for which they do"

yes there is. The Captain and the Harbormaster decide by wind and sea state which direction will be safest for the ship and the dock. I am a USCG Captain. Also Carnival does not always make the final decision to abandon a port. They take this decision very seriously.

Last year we were on starboard side, 11th deck, and watched Mahogany Bay come to life (we are early birds) while enjoying coffee on our balcony. It was actually fascinating, as we watched them testing the gondolas, putting out chairs, and even raking the beach. Then there was the sun rising over Mahogany Bay...beautiful.

I fully realize the direction could change, however this was our experience.