Suggested Check-In Times

Cruising for the first time next week. All of our more experienced friends had encouraged us to get to the port early & get a headstart on our vacay. So, we made arrangements accordingly to arrive early afternoon. Now, I see these "suggested check-in times" in our ticket booklet. Boo! How strict are they about these times? Will we really have to wait until 3:00???

Thanks in advance from a greenhorn.

Cruising for the first time next week. All of our more experienced friends had encouraged us to get to the port early & get a headstart on our vacay. So, we made arrangements accordingly to arrive early afternoon. Now, I see these "suggested check-in times" in our ticket booklet. Boo! How strict are they about these times? Will we really have to wait until 3:00???

Thanks in advance from a greenhorn.

Ignore it - Royal has been trying to do similar things for the last few years (you might even get an email from them with suggested check-in times). Ultimately they can't control things like flights and what not - so their suggested check-in times are out the window right there.

Lol

So, why does Royal waste so much bandwidth to send out these emails??

Personally, some of it is not practical, like 330-4.

Status is somewhat in the air. I will agree it applies to check in, as that is what is stated in the Member Benefits. However, check in is NOT boarding.

Edited by troykahack

Lol

So, why does Royal waste so much bandwidth to send out these emails??

Email's cheap. Really cheap. And who knows, some might follow it. (Personally, I'm more inclined to leave the hotel at checkout time and get a nice lunch someplace before. By 2 PM, there's usually no lines at all at the terminal and I can drop stuff straight into the cabin, and *that* is the relaxing way to start a holiday. Standing in lines and sweating doesn't relax me.)

Email's cheap. Really cheap. And who knows, some might follow it. (Personally, I'm more inclined to leave the hotel at checkout time and get a nice lunch someplace before. By 2 PM, there's usually no lines at all at the terminal and I can drop stuff straight into the cabin, and *that* is the relaxing way to start a holiday. Standing in lines and sweating doesn't relax me.)

I would agree with this. I always get an extended check out at my hotel and think about heading to the port around 1pm or later. As hellsop said, getting to the port at 10 am ... standing in line, then sitting in a folding chair to rush to the windjammer to eat buffet food is not the way I chose to start my vacation. I prefer to show up at a time in which my room is ready so I can unpack .( I always carry on my bags).

For me, I always figure that my cruise does not start until after muster drill, I just use the time before it to get settled in. Just my personal opinion and preferences, of course everyone has their own thing.