Taxi pricing clarification please.

AandBmom

It's been a while since we've been to Cozumel. Can someone clarify is this price one way per person or per vehicle?

Destination 1-4 Passengers 5 Passengers 6-8 Passengers

PalMar Beach 10.00 usd 15.00 usd 20.00usd

Monkey Bar 10.00 usd 15.00 usd 20.00usd

Hotel Fiesta Americana 10.00 usd 15.00 usd 20.00usd

Playa Uvas 11.00 usd 16.00 usd 22.00usd

Chankanaab 11.00 usd 16.00 usd 22.00usd

Playa Corona 12.00 usd 17.00 usd 24.00usd

Hotel Sabor 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Ocean Beach Bar 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Carlos n Charlies Beach 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

San Francisco Beach 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Paradise Beach 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Playa Mia 17.00 usd 25.00 usd 34.00usd

Mr. Sancho's 17.00 usd 25.00 usd 34.00usd

It's been a while since we've been to Cozumel. Can someone clarify is this price one way per person or per vehicle?

Destination 1-4 Passengers 5 Passengers 6-8 Passengers

PalMar Beach 10.00 usd 15.00 usd 20.00usd

Monkey Bar 10.00 usd 15.00 usd 20.00usd

Hotel Fiesta Americana 10.00 usd 15.00 usd 20.00usd

Playa Uvas 11.00 usd 16.00 usd 22.00usd

Chankanaab 11.00 usd 16.00 usd 22.00usd

Playa Corona 12.00 usd 17.00 usd 24.00usd

Hotel Sabor 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Ocean Beach Bar 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Carlos n Charlies Beach 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

San Francisco Beach 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Paradise Beach 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Playa Mia 17.00 usd 25.00 usd 34.00usd

Mr. Sancho's 17.00 usd 25.00 usd 34.00usd

One-way, per vehicle up to the number of people specified per group

ie first column up to 4 people in vehicle.

In other words, an insane rip-off. These $15 cab rides would be 40 pesos in a medium-sized city like Cuernavaca (less than $2), and are probably about that much (paid in pesos) when the ships aren't there. The ships come in and the prices go up 10x. Nice.

In other words, an insane rip-off. These $15 cab rides would be 40 pesos in a medium-sized city like Cuernavaca (less than $2), and are probably about that much (paid in pesos) when the ships aren't there. The ships come in and the prices go up 10x. Nice.

Taxi rates are negotiated by the taxi union and each taxi should have a tarif in the taxi which they have to show you on demand. Maybe patycake or kletina could comment on fares for locals. Not saying some drivers don't try it on but there is an official rate. Prices within the city were about 40 pesos.

It appears from the discussion that I follow on Scubaboard that fares may have actually officially increased this month after a year of apparent unofficial price increase on the boards at the piers.

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/current-cozumel-taxi-rates-in-pesos-zone-map.524217/

It will be interesting to see if the prices at the piers increase again although I realize that there is sometimes a surcharge for certain places like hotel lobbies and possibly pier pick up.

Edited by c-leg5

"Maybe patycake or kletina could comment on fares for locals." LOL Sorry but we pay the same posted fares that tourists pay, and when there are many ships in port the locals get ignored. I know some of y'll think the fares to the beaches are a rip off, but you need to stop and think!!!

1. Cost of gas

2 What the driver has to pay the owner each day of taxi use.

3. City fees as driver or owner.

4. They stay in line for hours to get a fare and are lucky if they get 2 fares a day in the Cruise ship line. Those fares may just be a short one to town.

Overall think about what you pay in the USA!!! I pay 25-35 from the airport to my daughter's house 4 miles away, want to talk about a rip off!!!

After 2 fares to the beach the driver may be lucky enough to clear $15. Now can you feed, clothe, and house a small family of 4 on that??? Well it is difficult to do so here, so think about that.

1. Cost of gas

Government regulated (subsidized) gas prices in Mexico. Next.

2 What the driver has to pay the owner each day of taxi use.

Cost of doing business, but does not vary based on who you are picking up in the cab....

4. They stay in line for hours to get a fare and are lucky if they get 2 fares a day in the Cruise ship line. Those fares may just be a short one to town.

2 a day? I don't believe that. With 23,000 or so people coming on shore, coming and going at different times, I think they could easily work all day long.

Overall think about what you pay in the USA!!! I pay 25-35 from the airport to my daughter's house 4 miles away, want to talk about a rip off!!!

This is not the USA. While I agree that USA taxi fares are utterly absurd, Mexico is Mexico. $20USD is $400 pesos... do a little pricing around for groceries and such and you'll find that $20USD goes a lot further there than it does here. Silly comparison, IMO.

After 2 fares to the beach the driver may be lucky enough to clear $15. Now can you feed, clothe, and house a small family of 4 on that??? Well it is difficult to do so here, so think about that.

Although you have no basis for the $15USD figure, that's still equivalent to $300 pesos/day. You're still missing the point that they charge tourists about 10x the price of local fares when the ships aren't there. So do you think the rest of the time they drive around losing money? Of course not. They make some level of profit at 1/5th to 1/10th of the cruise passenger fares, so at 5x to 10x that, that's definitely a rip-off. I'm not saying I blame them, but let's not pretend that the lowly taxi driver is just making his humble living. He's bilking tourists, because fat white Americans are "rich".

(I'm a school teacher, so far from it, and I worked two jobs and saved for a year for this cruise and don't appreciate getting screwed over)

Government regulated (subsidized) gas prices in Mexico. Next.

Our gas prices are higher than in the states. The drivers are NOT subsidized, they pay what we pay.

Cost of doing business, but does not vary based on who you are picking up in the cab....

The prices are the SAME for me as they are for YOU.

2 a day? I don't believe that. With 23,000 or so people coming on shore, coming and going at different times, I think they could easily work all day long.

There are over 800 or more taxis on this island. Try counting the cabs in line, and that line goes over half a mile up the road across the street. Also in town many taxis stay in line at the sitios to wait for a fare. Half the passangers never get off the ship and many more choose to walk or meet their tours and do not pay for a taxi.

This is not the USA. While I agree that USA taxi fares are utterly absurd, Mexico is Mexico. $20USD is $400 pesos... do a little pricing around for groceries and such and you'll find that $20USD goes a lot further there than it does here. Silly comparison, IMO.

I LIVE HERE! It is a higher cost of living on the island. That 400 peso will not even buy a small pot roast. Everything on this island has to be shipped in and someone has to pay for the trucks who cross on the ferry and it ain't cheap. It is added to the cost of the item. Boo Hoo, you work 2 jobs. I am 67 years old and even here I have to work to subsidize my pension. My daughter is a teacher and chooses to waitress so she can support her 2 children better. It has nothing to do with this subject.

Although you have no basis for the $15USD figure, that's still equivalent to $300 pesos/day. You're still missing the point that they charge tourists about 10x the price of local fares when the ships aren't there. So do you think the rest of the time they drive around losing money? Of course not. They make some level of profit at 1/5th to 1/10th of the cruise passenger fares, so at 5x to 10x that, that's definitely a rip-off. I'm not saying I blame them, but let's not pretend that the lowly taxi driver is just making his humble living. He's bilking tourists, because fat white Americans are "rich". Why don't you stay here in a local home and try living with 2 kids and a wife on that 300 pesos a day?

Your F...ing right they are HUMBLE taxi drivers and 99% do not try to rip you off. They are honest hard working people. If you are concerned then check the charts that are listed with the prices that are on the internet or ask the driver to see his Tariff Sheet. If you have a problem with trusting Mexicans, who I trust more than Gringos by the way...then stay on the ship..where there are no rip offs...lol..

(I'm a school teacher, so far from it, and I worked two jobs and saved for a year for this cruise and don't appreciate getting screwed over)

It is in your head!