AMA Legendary or Discovery Danube

molemaui

We're looking at booking either the Legendary or Discovery and wanted advice regarding doing "Cruise only" instead of purchasing the entire package.

1. Is transportation from Prague to Nuremberg easy to arrange? (or reverse if we begin in Budapest)

2. Is there any real value is letting AMA sell you the hotels? (tours, assistance, etc?)

I can either use points and stay at the same hotels for free or pay roughly half what AMA charges realizing that transfers to ship are not included. If I'm missing something that could be important, I certainly want to take that into consideration.

Appreciate all input-thanks!

We were on a similar AMA cruise, Melodies of the Danube, this past summer. We used the AMA extension. Others purchased just the transfer without the extension. I would look into that. Yes, there are some half day tours and the assistance of an AMA rep, but any quality hotel has a consierge to assist in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing the legendary Danube in April. We are doing the pre cruise with AMA. The thing I considered prior to booking last Feb was if AMA changed departure ports for some reason, it might ne difficult to change transportation to a new port at the last minute from Prague.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I did the Romantic Danube last year through AMA. All we did was purchase the cruise and then we also added on the transportation from Prague to Vilshofen - about $99 each which also did include a stop and tour of Regensburg. If you are comfortable doing your own thins, figuring out what to see and how to do it, then I wouldn't buy the pre/post package. We used hotel points to pay for our hotel in Prague (The Intercontinental). We did a free walking tour of Prague, we took the bus over to the castle. I had arranged to hire a driver/tour guide with friends of mine who were doing the pre cruise, to go to Kutna Hora which was fantastic. I also made reservation for a folk dancing dinner show which is an option if you buy the pre cruise package. The price I was quoted was less and they send a van to pick you up and drop you off at your hotel - no extra charge. Finally I arranged a cooking lesson in a private home with us eating what we made. For me, when you broke down what you were getting from the package it was hotel, and a city tour. Everything else had a fee to it. Email me if you want more information or go on my blog and go to river cruising or Czechoslovakia for some ideas