Lobster Gone From The Escape

lidodeck03

Got off the Escape last week, and not only is there no lobster on the MDR menu, it has been removed from the menu in Le Bistro and Cagney's as well. The lobster that can be ordered for an "up charge" is not a Maine Lobster, but a "Florida Lobster" and not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

You say that there is no lobster on the MDR menu, but you also say that lobster can be ordered for an upcharge. Can you clarify what you mean by this? It seems to me that the situation has not changed since the last time the situation changed a couple of months ago (see this thread for example: Bye Bye Lobsters).

What I was trying to convey is that it is no longer on the MDR menu as an entree choice (usually one night per 7 day cruise) at no extra charge, but mostly that it is also no longer available in the Specialty restaurants either. I was on the Escape last year and had lobster in both Le Bistro and Cagney's.

What I was trying to convey is that it is no longer on the MDR menu as an entree choice (usually one night per 7 day cruise) at no extra charge, but mostly that it is also no longer available in the Specialty restaurants either. I was on the Escape last year and had lobster in both Le Bistro and Cagney's.

But then you say what type of lobster it is that can be ordered as an upcharge. If it isn't available anywhere then how can it be available at an upcharge?

If you are just saying that it isn't available anywhere then, by my understanding, this has been the case for a while, as noted in the thread linked above.

Edit: maybe you are saying it is still available as an upcharge item in the MDR? Is that right?

Edited by KeithJenner

It has been several months since the free lobster was removed from MDR menu.

Lobster was also removed from all specialty restaurant menus several months ago.

Evidently you missed reading all the posts about it. There were a few threads about the missing lobster at the time.

See the link in post #2 above for one of those threads.

Edited by NMLady

Yes it is available, but you will have to pay extra for it. However, I would check with NCL before you make plans to cruise again because it could change.

Thanks. I'm not bothered about Lobster myself, so they could remove it from everywhere for all I care. I was just confused about what you were saying and was clarifying out of interest.

Edited by KeithJenner

I don't understand why there are so many posts about lobster. Is this really a make or break for someone's enjoyment of a cruise? If so, why? Why does having lobster as a menu choice seem to be such a cause for concern? I am literally baffled by this. I just don't understand.

I don't understand why there are so many posts about lobster. Is this really a make or break for someone's enjoyment of a cruise? If so, why? Why does having lobster as a menu choice seem to be such a cause for concern? I am literally baffled by this. I just don't understand.

It would be like if Bitter and Blanc was no longer available as a complimentary dessert. However, you could order Bitter and Blanc for an up charge of $7.95.

But only a few months since it was removed from the Specialty Restaurants menus.

Yes, but your post also stated that "it is no longer on the MDR menu as an entree choice (usually one night per 7 day cruise) at no extra charge". And that's that LrgPizza was saying, it hasn't been free in the MDR for years.

I agree. It seems to me that many guests seem to view lobster as being part of their quintessential cruising experience. When we were on Getaway three years ago and there was still lobster in the buffet..... OMG. I swear there were people there who were acting like they had never ever had lobster before in their life. I'm talking about plates and plates of empty shells. I didn't think it was even that great. It seemed like they grilled it, and it was tough and chewy and lacked flavor.

If you love lobster, you'd be much better off going to your local supermarket, buying one and steaming it yourself. It would be way better than any lobster you would ever get on NCL.

Yes, but your post also stated that "it is no longer on the MDR menu as an entree choice (usually one night per 7 day cruise) at no extra charge". And that's that LrgPizza was saying, it hasn't been free in the MDR for years.

Correct. I had been on the Allure of the Seas in May and it was on the MDR menu complimentary (and still is) and got it confused with the Escape that I had been on last November.

Baffled? Lobster is widely considered something you eat typically on a special occasion. It's advertised as a special occasion at the grocery stores and land based restaurants for special occasions such as new years, Valentines day... Costco even has their seafood extravaganzas and it's all the buzz when they get the lobsters in. Not sure how you could be baffled that one might gripe when an item typically well known as a treat and served in specialty venues on ships is replaced with shrimp yet the shrimp still costs the same as the lobster was.

I was really taken aback with the recent replacements. I thought it plain absurd to charge, I think $24.95, for the replacement shrimp dish. The only taste comparison I could come up with was a $2.95 lean cuisine. Don't get me wrong it's not terrible but imo not even worth the extra service fee charge. Same with the scallops. I can honestly say ive never been served scallops that size before. Didn't even know they existed. I like shrimp, it's fast easy and cheap. But at a specialty venue, id take lobster, cold or warm water, any day over the replacement shrimp dishes. On my last cruise the specialty dining choices and quality in no way remotely warranted the prices they were charging. I cant think of any land based restaurant that would stay in business with their replacement shrimp dishes as their signature items. Certainly nothing to cancel a cruise over but no need to get too excited about specialty dinners any longer.

Baffled? Lobster is widely considered something you eat typically on a special occasion. It's advertised as a special occasion at the grocery stores and land based restaurants for special occasions such as new years, Valentines day... Costco even has their seafood extravaganzas and it's all the buzz when they get the lobsters in. Not sure how you could be baffled that one might gripe when an item typically well known as a treat and served in specialty venues on ships is replaced with shrimp yet the shrimp still costs the same as the lobster was.

QUOTE]

I don't care about what it was replaced with. My point still stands. One's enjoyment of a cruise shouldn't be based upon the availability of lobster. Its weird. Pick a different seafood dish, get a steak, have a piece of chicken, get a vegetarian dish. There is no food that any cruise line has or doesn't have that would increase or lessen my enjoyment.

It would be like if Bitter and Blanc was no longer available as a complimentary dessert. However, you could order Bitter and Blanc for an up charge of $7.95.

But I don't always sail Carnival simply because they serve my favorite desert. I sail other lines who don't have it. If Carnival started charging for it then I would have the Lava cake and if they started charging for that then I would have ice cream etc....