Lobster Gone From The Escape

lidodeck03

But I don't always sail Carnival simply because they serve my favorite desert. I sail other lines who don't have it. If Carnival started charging for it then I would have the Lava cake and if they started charging for that then I would have ice cream etc....

Unfortunately that is what we all have to do it seems.

@ Dubbs: Don't get me wrong. We loved our cruise and have another booked. I don't see how saying I was disappointed in the lack of lobster and the replacement of the mediocre shrimp dish is so, "weird" to you. We sailed in the one of Garden Villas on the Jade med for two weeks September/October and it was the best vacation I've ever had. The food in specialty dining was ok. It was not great and not worth the prices charged. We noted a definite decline in food quality. Service was excellent and we said we'd take bad food and good service any day over the reverse. That being said, food was certainly a downgrade compared to previous sailings and yes it was a little disappointing. We made up for it with some great food in Italy and it was nice to go on a cruise and lose weight. Most people expect a REALLY good meal in an up charge venue on a ship and a good meal in the main dining room. When they eat something like a 50 count shrimp pasta dish that costs an additional $24.95 upcharge - well I can certainly see how they'd be thinking, what a waste of my money. Who would want to go back and try other dishes and pay even more? Your suggestion to go back and order chicken and then vegetarian ? It's not worth it to me to keep throwing extra $ to see which specialty entrée is worth the charge. The MDR atmosphere is just fine for ok food included in cruise fare.

When you replace lobster with shrimp in a signature, extra fee, specialty fine dining venue, it's not about offering a better food choice.

Edited by littlelulu01

@ Dubbs: Don't get me wrong. We loved our cruise and have another booked. I don't see how saying I was disappointed in the lack of lobster and the replacement of the mediocre shrimp dish is so, "weird" to you. We sailed in the one of Garden Villas on the Jade med for two weeks September/October and it was the best vacation I've ever had. The food in specialty dining was ok. It was not great and not worth the prices charged. We noted a definite decline in food quality. Service was excellent and we said we'd take bad food and good service any day over the reverse. That being said, food was certainly a downgrade compared to previous sailings and yes it was a little disappointing. We made up for it with some great food in Italy and it was nice to go on a cruise and lose weight. Most people expect a REALLY good meal in an up charge venue on a ship and a good meal in the main dining room. When they eat something like a 50 count shrimp pasta dish that costs an additional $24.95 upcharge - well I can certainly see how they'd be thinking, what a waste of my money. Who would want to go back and try other dishes and pay even more? Your suggestion to go back and order chicken and then vegetarian ? It's not worth it to me to keep throwing extra $ to see which specialty entrée is worth the charge. The MDR atmosphere is just fine for ok food included in cruise fare.

When you replace lobster with shrimp in a signature, extra fee, specialty fine dining venue, it's not about offering a better food choice.

I never said anything about a shrimp dish. I said its weird that people have somehow tied the availability of lobster to an enjoyable cruise.

Is lobster off of the menu at Teppanyaki as well?
Yes.
I said its weird that people have somehow tied the availability of lobster to an enjoyable cruise.
For many people, lobster adds to the enjoyment, and the absence of lobster diminishes the enjoyment. Along with about a million other things that contribute in many different ways to the whole cruise experience.

You are having difficulty understanding this thread because you think someone said that they had to have lobster in order to enjoy their cruise, that this one essential food item would "make or break" their cruise. But those are your words; no one else in this thread actually said anything like that.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Yes.

For many people, lobster adds to the enjoyment, and the absence of lobster diminishes the enjoyment. Along with about a million other things that contribute in many different ways to the whole cruise experience.

You are having difficulty understanding this thread because you think someone said that they had to have lobster in order to enjoy their cruise, that this one essential food item would "make or break" their cruise. But those are your words; no one else in this thread actually said anything like that.

Yep, it's one of the few times I have lobster and I'm not all about it but knowing and seeing pictures of some of the lobster formerly available in specialty venues, it's a bit disappointing not to be able to get it when paying same cruise fares and dining package rates as a year ago when some did get to enjoy it.

But, I don't focus on changes I know about, just hope there won't be more changes to things I've liked before next cruise already booked. At some point I think cutbacks will catch up with the cruising industry, some deciding not to become repeat cruisers, others not trying to talk friends into joining next cruise, etc. Until then, they can make all the changes they want and pax decide if it matters by booking or not.

My gut thinks as long as UBP promo holds up well, people will accept some food changes. Almost anything is delish when been drinking all day. ;)

Got off the Escape last week, and not only is there no lobster on the MDR menu, it has been removed from the menu in Le Bistro and Cagney's as well. The lobster that can be ordered for an "up charge" is not a Maine Lobster, but a "Florida Lobster" and not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Free lobster left the menu 3-4 years ago. First off the MDR menu, then off the seafood buffet.

With the launch of the Escape a year ago, lobsters made an appearance on the "new" menus of all specialty restaurants and an upcharge option in the MDR. Not all ships have moved to the "new" menus yet.

In late August 2016, there was an update to the "new" menus removing lobsters from speciality dining rooms. MDR offered up charge lobsters on certain nights. On the Dawn in September, lobster was offered as an up charge item in the MDR every other night.

Dawn MDR Lobster

SFP_2.jpg

Lobsters at Cagneys on the Jewel in early August 2016

SFP_6.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

Got off the Escape last week, and not only is there no lobster on the MDR menu, it has been removed from the menu in Le Bistro and Cagney's as well. The lobster that can be ordered for an "up charge" is not a Maine Lobster, but a "Florida Lobster" and not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Thank you for your post. We were on the Getaway June/July this last summer. Had lobster nearly every night. Not the best ever lobster, but from KY so enjoyed it. Will miss lobster from specialities next week! Don't understand the reply hostility... You didn't deserve it.

I don't understand why there are so many posts about lobster. Is this really a make or break for someone's enjoyment of a cruise? If so, why? Why does having lobster as a menu choice seem to be such a cause for concern? I am literally baffled by this. I just don't understand.

Onviously, lobster and robes.

At least you can pack your own robe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, it's one of the few times I have lobster and I'm not all about it but knowing and seeing pictures of some of the lobster formerly available in specialty venues, it's a bit disappointing not to be able to get it when paying same cruise fares and dining package rates as a year ago when some did get to enjoy it.

But, I don't focus on changes I know about, just hope there won't be more changes to things I've liked before next cruise already booked. At some point I think cutbacks will catch up with the cruising industry, some deciding not to become repeat cruisers, others not trying to talk friends into joining next cruise, etc. Until then, they can make all the changes they want and pax decide if it matters by booking or not.

My gut thinks as long as UBP promo holds up well, people will accept some food changes. Almost anything is delish when been drinking all day. ;)

Nah. New people try cruises every day.

All things evolve.

Those who really value food quality will make the best choices. I have heard the Dover sole in the Epic Club is good. Do not drink beer and avoid buffets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

Thank you for your post. We were on the Getaway June/July this last summer. Had lobster nearly every night. Not the best ever lobster, but from KY so enjoyed it. Will miss lobster from specialities next week! Don't understand the reply hostility... You didn't deserve it.

I was just trying to give a "most recent" account, and some people decided to take the frustrations in their life out on people on these threads. I try not to dignify their comments with a response! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but we don't get to decide how people feel, good or bad, that is a personal choice.