My Overview - Carnival Miracle to Hawaii November 26, 2016

S&S Cruisers 1983

First off, let me say we had a blast! Never a bad cruise.

This is an overview:

1. Embarkation was a breeze with FTTF. Our first time with FTTF by the way.

2. Our cabin was not ready when we boarded per FTTF. It wasn't even ready at 1:30. Not really a big deal, I was just looking forward to it being ready. My Brother and SIL's cabin was ready when they boarded though. Then when we did go back to our cabin when it was "ready", around 2pm, there was still trash under the desk. Including an empty advil box and a few USED Kleenix (YUCK). This was surprising to me. Not a big deal, just picked up the trash and washed my hands really well!

3. Both the body wash and the shampoo were labeled as body wash gel. We had no idea which was which. No biggy, brought my own anyways. DH will use anything, as long as it's soap. Also, no hand soap in the bathroom. Again, no big deal, just asked for some. Just thought it was interest.

4. No shelf for my above mentioned bath stuff. Whomever suggested I get some mesh clothespin bags and use them was a genius! Thank you!

5. Our luggage arrived around 4 ish. We had three bags, one did not come until later that night. It went to the naughty room. Apparently they are taking away brand new extension cords still in the package, as well as my power strip WITHOUT a surge protector. When we picked them up on disembarkation day, he told me they are no longer allowed, even new and with no surge protector. I found that interesting because they did not take my brother and sister in laws away. I have always taken these items before. Next time I should hide it I guess (LOL).

6. I put my small fan in my carryon bag. If I had not, it would have been taken also, as I saw quite a few fans down in the naughty room when I picked up my cords. I asked the cabin steward for an extension cord and he brought one of those big orange ones we use on our lawn mower at home! I was just glad to have it.

7. We ate in the dining room a lot of nights. The food and service was very good. The buffet needs to change things up a bit. After a 15 day cruise, I was hoping for some food changes. It was still good food though! The only complaint I have about food is that the desserts are not as good as they could be.

8. Entertainment was good. A lot of trivia games, which we love. We, (my DH, Brother, SIL, and I), won 3 ships on a stick. All of the entertainment staff were very upbeat and fun. There was always something going on around the ship. My DH loved the naturalist talks that they had on board.

9. We rented a convertible in Maui and did the Road to Hana. What a beautiful drive. But the road is scary! I think it took us over 6 hours to go about 70 miles round trip. It was raining off and on, so we put the car top down and back up several times. And sometimes when the rain was light, we just stuck it out and got wet.

10. We did Germaine's Luau in Honolulu. It was fun and the food was good, but they really need more comfortable seats. They were picnic tables with no padding and very uncomfortable for the long luau. Our butts hurt like crazy! Some people decided to take off their light coats and sit on them. In hind sight (LOL), I should have too.

11. The other ports we didn't really plan anything since we have been to Hawaii twice before. We just shopped around and in Hilo we did the Hoppa on and Hoppa off bus tour. We got off at a very pretty waterfall and then a park. It was worth the $20.

We really did have a great time! If I can think of anything else, I will add it later, since I should be working instead of writing this. I have deadlines, but can't concentrate now that we are back!

Edited by Steve and Sharon

How bad was the process of getting your rental car in Maui? Also, just curious, what did the age demographic of passengers turn out to be. Glad you had a great time, looking forward to our trip next month.

I'm not the OP but can answer your questions. I did this cruise about 4 years ago (R/T from San Diego) and have lived in Hawaii for 9 years over the years. We go back there every couple of years or so (mainly to Maui).

I would rent a car from Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. Cheapest I've ever seen in Hawaii. They'll have a van at the port and then run you over to the airport for the car. They only use the majors for rentals (mainly Dollar). They serve all the islands. The only place where they didn't have a van was on Oahu but the airport is a short taxi ride away.

On our cruise, if I had to take a guess, the average age had to be in the 60's so a pretty mellow crowd. There were some people in the 30's and 40's.

This was, by far, my favorite cruise. I love sea days and can't think of a better way than staring off at it!

You'll have a great time!

" Whomever suggested I get some mesh clothespin bags and use them was a genius! Thank you! "

It was my pleasure! I use a plain white bag on my cruises like this but I posted some in color before. It's fun when a small suggestion works out for others on this site. Happy cruises always

MeshBag.jpg

How bad was the process of getting your rental car in Maui? Also, just curious, what did the age demographic of passengers turn out to be. Glad you had a great time, looking forward to our trip next month.

We rented from Enterprise. It was easy, but we reserved it a month or so ahead of time. We rented from the airport. There was a van shuttle to go back and forth. Process was quick, but at first we tried using the kiosk, and couldn't get it to work, So I would just get in line. There is a close Enterprise by the port, but they close a lot earlier than we wanted, so we went with the airport.

The age demographic was all over the place. We had from probably 20 to 70 year olds.

Have a great cruise!

Oh and a last note. Make sure to read the maps book they give you at the rental office. We were going to drive the road to Hana and then come back around the other way. At the last minute, we saw in the book that if you go that way, your contract can be voided. I guess that road washes out a lot and is dangerous. They didn't tell us, we were just looking at the maps to see where we should go. With the amount of rain they had, it was probably washed out.

" Whomever suggested I get some mesh clothespin bags and use them was a genius! Thank you! "

It was my pleasure! I use a plain white bag on my cruises like this but I posted some in color before. It's fun when a small suggestion works out for others on this site. Happy cruises always

MeshBag.jpg

That's it! Thanks again! It dried very fast on the last night, so no drippy bag either.

5. Our luggage arrived around 4 ish. We had three bags, one did not come until later that night. It went to the naughty room. Apparently they are taking away brand new extension cords still in the package, as well as my power strip WITHOUT a surge protector. When we picked them up on disembarkation day, he told me they are no longer allowed, even new and with no surge protector. I found that interesting because they did not take my brother and sister in laws away. I have always taken these items before. Next time I should hide it I guess (LOL).

No power strips at all?! I have a non-surge protecting one set aside specifically for my cruise next month. This is going to be a big inconvenience if we don't have enough outlets. It's my first cruise though, so perhaps what I've heard about only having one outlet in an interior room isn't true?

Hi,

I am quite shocked to hear that your cabin was not ready with FTTF!! We have sailed on the Miracle many times and have always had it ready for us when we boarded! I would have reported that as it may not be due to the steward being overworked but may have just been disorganization or bad work habits on their part but no way to really know that??

Did the cabin crew/steward(and asst) introduce themselves to you right away or were they hard to find???

No power strips at all?! I have a non-surge protecting one set aside specifically for my cruise next month. This is going to be a big inconvenience if we don't have enough outlets. It's my first cruise though, so perhaps what I've heard about only having one outlet in an interior room isn't true?

No power strips at all is what he said when I picked mine up. I told him that the website stated a power strip with no surge protector was allowed on the website. He said that it should not be there. I have taken one on every cruise without a problem. I was quite surprised. Also, I have never been on a cruise with more than one outlet in the cabin. Maybe the suites have more than one, but we can't afford that. Next time I will put it in my carry on bag and see if they take it.

Hi,

I am quite shocked to hear that your cabin was not ready with FTTF!! We have sailed on the Miracle many times and have always had it ready for us when we boarded! I would have reported that as it may not be due to the steward being overworked but may have just been disorganization or bad work habits on their part but no way to really know that??

Did the cabin crew/steward(and asst) introduce themselves to you right away or were they hard to find???

He did come to introduce himself a few hours after we boarded. Probably right before the muster drill. He was very nice and attentive all through the cruise. The assistant was around frequently but never introduced himself. They were not hard to find at all.