Infinity/Antarctica

Scandalarian

I'm starting to plan my trip to Antarctica, and have settled on the Celebrity Infinity, mostly because my busy time is the only window for Antarctica cruising, and I need to have decent internet access while I'm away.

Have any of you been on the Celebrity Antarctica cruise, and if so, how was the internet? The internet was spectacular going to Bermuda, and the Celebrity folks claim it is satellite so it *should* work...

Anyone with any recent experience?

We did the round the Cape on the Infinity back in 13. When we hit the last few miles before rounding we lost satellite service. I only remember because I took a picture of the TV stating that. I have a feeling once you get into the roaring 40's there may be more issues... Again, we did not make it to the Arctic,,,

Does anyone have more recent experience? This is really important to determine if I can go before I retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on this cruise in 2015 and do not remember the Internet having any problems. But, my memory could be faulty!

Carolyn

We were on the Infinity in January this year. Internet was slow, and somewhat intermitant, that being said; all of Celebrity ships have supposidly been upgraded

Don't know if this helps, but it was a WONDERFUL CRUISE!

"Doctor G" (hello Carolyn) and I were on the same Infinity Antarctic cruise in February, 2015. While I wouldn't have described the internet connection as perfect, it wasn't as slow as I had anticipated. The connection was actually quite good when we were close to two of the Antarctic bases (if my memory is correct they were the Argentinian and Chilean bases) which could be spotted from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

May I add a question here for Infinity veterans of the Antarctica cruise? Any suggestions on cabin choice? Is it too cold to enjoy a balcony? Any particular cabin type or vessel side you liked for best viewing of the scenery? We are looking at the 2/18 departures and just wonder if cabin selection for this itinerary presents unique considerations. Thanks in advance.

May I add a question here for Infinity veterans of the Antarctica cruise? Any suggestions on cabin choice? Is it too cold to enjoy a balcony? Any particular cabin type or vessel side you liked for best viewing of the scenery? We are looking at the 2/18 departures and just wonder if cabin selection for this itinerary presents unique considerations. Thanks in advance.

It's most likely that when you are really viewing scenery, you will want to be on deck because you want a good view in all directions. As in alaska, the ship turns 360 degrees around so if you are on a balcony, you will get a good view. At one point, we were even on the helipad. Great views from everywhere though.

However, it's always nice to have a balcony...and that large window, even if it is cold outside and you want to stay in the privacy of your cabin or you want to enjoy the beauty while dressing for dinner/etc.

I don't recall thinking that either side would have been better...and we enjoyed a balcony which we did use at various times during the cruise.

It's a great cruise....

I had an aft C1 cabin and loved it. We had a great view on all sides when out on the balcony. It is really cold out there, but I could jump back in the cabin to warm up. Be aware that the scenery is very weather dependent. We had a lot of fog around Cape Horn and in Antarctica; it also snowed one day--enough that the adventurous staff made a snow man near the pool :) We did have some glorious clear days and had spectacular views. It's a wonderful cruise; I would do it again.

Carolyn

We were on the February 15, 2105 Infinity Antarctic cruise. We were in one of the deck 11 Aqua Class aft staterooms (1138) which was great as the over-sized balcony was partially covered. But we spent much of our time outside or in the forward deck 11 Constellation Lounge. Both the naturalist Milos and Mickey Live were set up in the Constellation Lounge during much of the scenic cruising.

We were on Infinity for this cruise in 2015. It was the 2nd of 3 b2b cruises.

The internet at that time was challenging at best. I have a blog and getting pictures loaded was really, really slow.

I have no idea if Celebrity has upgraded their internet since February/March 2015. Hopefully they have.

OP: I use internet a lot. But I am retired and so no job depends on it. Having said that, I recall nothing particularly difficult about the infinity Antarctica sailing.

As to cabin choice, we were starboard side and that was nice when we looped Cape Horn clockwise and when we approached Ushuaia. But most time spent on deck. Warm clothes are helpful aboard, we did have minor snow approaching Antarctica, but ashore it was nice weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There can definitely be some rocking and rolling.. If at all susceptible to sea sick, go for midship and a bit lower.. Layer the clothes, good mitts and alarm hat. Prepare for rain and wind too.went to a little island off of Ushuaia to see the Penguins. Falkland Islands was great, loved the law drover tour, and a pint at the Globe Pub. If you have the time, do try to get to Iguazu falls before or after... I would do it again ! The speakers on board really made the cruise.

There can definitely be some rocking and rolling.. If at all susceptible to sea sick, go for midship and a bit lower.. Layer the clothes, good mitts and alarm hat. Prepare for rain and wind too.went to a little island off of Ushuaia to see the Penguins. Falkland Islands was great, loved the law drover tour, and a pint at the Globe Pub. If you have the time, do try to get to Iguazu falls before or after... I would do it again ! The speakers on board really made the cruise.

Autocorrect strikes again.. That would be a warm hat, and the Land Rover tour, private company, forget the name of the fellow who does it.

We were in a rear facing aft, a C-1, it was perfect. It was of course very cold at "the end of the world", but with this cabin we could see both the view from from port and starboard plus the wake of the ship and everything we had passed.

Edited by SPacificbound

On the Falkland Islands a land rover trip to Volunteer Point is a must to see the hundreds of penguins. We scheduled the tour with Patrick Watts; his tours book very quickly, so it is never too early to schedule.

Hi Gerry!

Carolyn

Autocorrect strikes again.. That would be a warm hat, and the Land Rover tour, private company, forget the name of the fellow who does it.

We knew what you meant, but my thought was when I first read your post that an "alarm hat" would have been handy on the Costa Concordia bridge.

Carolyn: Just read your upcoming cruise plans. Charles and I are also on the October 8th sailing so will see you onboard. Gerry

On the Falkland Islands a land rover trip to Volunteer Point is a must to see the hundreds of penguins. We scheduled the tour with Patrick Watts; his tours book very quickly, so it is never too early to schedule.

Hi Gerry!

Carolyn

Besides Watts there are least two other tour operators out of Port Stanley. We booked with Estancia Tours (about 3 weeks before embarkation), had a super day. Father owns the ranch everyone crosses on the way to Volunteer Point, daughter runs the business and recruits drivers & vehicles as needed, mother makes box lunches for the participants... There were 50 vehicles at Volunteer Point the day we were there; I think 15-20 of them were organized through Estancia, 15-20 through Watts, 15-20 through the company Celebrity uses.

However you get there, this is likely the best (albeit most arduous) excursion you will ever have.

p1665992320-3.jpg

Earlier in the trip, do try to book Pira Tours "walk with the penguins." If you have decent weather on these two, then I would skip the third penguin opportunity, the X excursion from Puerto Madryn, Argentina to the Punta Tombo penguin rookery. A long boring bus ride, then a much less intimate chance to observe the penguins. If the weather keeps you away from either of the first two, then this would be worthwhile, but otherwise not so much.

Stan

Besides Watts there are least two other tour operators out of Port Stanley. We booked with Estancia Tours (about 3 weeks before embarkation), had a super day. Father owns the ranch everyone crosses on the way to Volunteer Point, daughter runs the business and recruits drivers & vehicles as needed, mother makes box lunches for the participants... There were 50 vehicles at Volunteer Point the day we were there; I think 15-20 of them were organized through Estancia, 15-20 through Watts, 15-20 through the company Celebrity uses.

However you get there, this is likely the best (albeit most arduous) excursion you will ever have.

p1665992320-3.jpg

Earlier in the trip, do try to book Pira Tours "walk with the penguins." If you have decent weather on these two, then I would skip the third penguin opportunity, the X excursion from Puerto Madryn, Argentina to the Punta Tombo penguin rookery. A long boring bus ride, then a much less intimate chance to observe the penguins. If the weather keeps you away from either of the first two, then this would be worthwhile, but otherwise not so much.

Stan

Ditto, Pira Tours in Ushuaia. Only 20 or so patrons allowed on the island at one time. A lot of penguins that aren't shy. People who went to Punta Tombo were disappointed. Long bus ride and few penguins.