Free stuff to do list, please....

ZeroTX

Hi all,

We're going on a cruise next week with 4 ports of call, one of them being Cozumel. We have big excursions planned for 3 of the ports, but for Cozumel, we plan to take it easy. I'm looking for "free stuff to see," particularly culturally oriented (not sit and drink margaritas, but seeing something interesting, I can drink margaritas at home or back on the ship). We've already got breakfast on shore planned, but after that, we're wide open. I'd like to avoid lots of long cab rides as I get anxious about our distance/time from the ship.

Note: I've been to Cozumel many times, so I've seen a lot of the touristy stuff already, but I'm hoping for some less-popular options that maybe a lot of people don't know about?

Walk along the Malecon on the waterfront. Be sure to walk on the water side to avoid the vendors. Go to a locals beach, about a 6 or 7 block walk north from the ferry pier. Be sure to have water shoes as it is rocky. Grab a coke and sit on the water front and people watch, grab a snack from one of the little vendors. Take a walk thru the neighborhoods, stop in a small store and get an ice-cream. Rent bikes (not motos) and see more. RELAX and enjoy our home.

Wherever Royal Caribbean docks... dunno.

In that case you will probably be at International Pier, about 3-4 miles from town depending on where you go. If you are into walking, it is walkable with sidewalk all the way, but very hot with little shade.

Nothing much around international other than shops.

If you go into town here is a link, including a walking tour.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/ThingstoDoWalkingTour.htm

I have a great idea for you. First come visit me at the Humane Society Kiosk and visit with me. Then either cab it or walk the 3/4 mile to our kennels and volunteer your time playing and walking our animals. Not sure where my kiosk will be at the port as it is just going back this week after being redone. I am usually next to Senor Frogs to the left when you get off the ship.

I have a great idea for you. First come visit me at the Humane Society Kiosk and visit with me. Then either cab it or walk the 3/4 mile to our kennels and volunteer your time playing and walking our animals. Not sure where my kiosk will be at the port as it is just going back this week after being redone. I am usually next to Senor Frogs to the left when you get off the ship.

Haha, well, I'm not sure if that will appeal to my travel companions, and we are also pretty much "cat people..." Have some cute kitties? :D

I'll be there in March and would love to come and visit your kiosk. Can you post or message me where it is once you know?

Yes, we are going to be next to Senor Frogs which is to your left when you get off. Sometime between January and March we will move to the other side near Margaritaville and when you get off just go straight. For the cat lovers, we are opening a Cat Cafe at the pier and you can come and play with our kitties.

PatyCake - tell me more about the Humane Society in Cozumel.

My partner and I took a beautiful and sweet, but quite large, dog for an afternoon in Kauai. Enjoyed a long walk along a beach with a dog happy to be out and about.

I do not want to get in trouble with CC, so here is just a bit of info. On the site of faces lol search for Humane Society of Cozumel. Same for Google for the website. We are a very large organization with mostly Mexican employees and 50/50 Mex/Gringo volunteers. Free spay and neutering or by donation. Very far reaching adoption program thru North America. Self and donation funded.

Hi, we'll be there on Sunday January 1st. Are you open on Sundays? How close are you to the Puerta Maya pier?

If you arrive to the International pier, then you would have to take a taxi to downtown. You can start walking the malecon from Punta Langosta (as mentioned previously, walk on the ocean side to avoid vendors), when you arrive to the ferry to Playa, go to the park and walk around, you would find little stores and a church, if you return to the malecon, you would find a fountain then further to the north is the museum, it's small but nice, the entrance fee is around $3 or $4 (I know you said free, I guess is not that expensive??), further north is a local beach, rocky beach, so wear watershoes... then you would see the military airport, then you just can return and eat and some of the places and any taxi would take you back to the international pier. Have fun!

I been to Cozumel once last year and I m going back there again next week.

Last time the ship doc at the International Pier. I walk few miles to downtown. Stay on the side of the beach. Its a good stroll. Bring umbrella n water. We took taxi back.

I think this time my ship Carnival Vista will dock in downtown so no need that long walk.

We went to Supermarket to get some tipbits to take home. I think this time I might rent a bicycle. Dont know if it is safe to ride bicycle.

It is a safe place to walk anywhere.

Edited by chong67

For the cat lovers, we are opening a Cat Cafe at the pier and you can come and play with our kitties.

When is this opening and where on the pier? (International Pier where Celebrity docks?) We'll be there in early April and will be missing our kitties. Would love this. :)

PattyCake: Thanks for that tip, we're going to be in Cozumel on a cruise and were looking for things to do that are a little off the beaten path, this is right up our alley, I'm sure by that day we'll be missing our boys and desperate for some furry friends to pet.