KDam medvac;d twice on 12/4--12/14

oatbagg1

We've had this go-around before, Ruth, and you cannot assume that because I was hit from behind by a scooter that it was my fault as a pedestrian for not "being cautious" enough or that I walked in front of it. Wrong, totally. But no point in trying to defend myself for being run down by someone who was completely oblivious and inconsiderate of everyone else in their immediate area. I think there is a case to be made for banning those large scooters from a ship, I have seen many mobility-challenged using a much smaller version - and being much more considerate, too. Unfortunately, anyone can hire any size of motor scooter from Special Needs at Sea or some such, without proving that they can use it, while ironically, they will not rent you an electric wheelchair unless you are used to using one.

Now, no way am I going to apologise for being run down by a scooter, you can assess blame all you like but you were not there, you have no idea what happened, and should never make an assumptions.

There's also another fundamental difference that makes the onus of obligation to be cautious fall much more heavily on the operator of a scooter: If a person walking is oblivious to their surroundings, and bumps into another person, it is more likely that no harm will come of it, either because the soft-on-soft contact doesn't cause anyone to stumble or because one or the both people are able to grab onto the other to steady themselves - four legged tables are more stable than two legged tables! That is an ability that operators of a scooter generally don't have. The scooter is hard by comparison to a body (well, at least my body) and generally the contact with a scooter is with its front-end which is projected out in front of the person operating the scooter so far that there is no chance of either person helping protect the other from falling.

I keep thinking about my church's youth director. When she is in a crowded area or approaching blind corners, she always goes far slower than her scooter can go, even when she's in a rush. It's a matter of respect for others and acknowledgement that the consequences of going too fast are far worse for others than for herself. Since I walked with her through the corridors of a conference center, I saw how frustrating it could be as a crowd of walkers capitalize on the superior flexibility and maneuverability of their fit bodies to cut in front of her whenever a body's worth of space opens up in front of her. In response, she does not close up the space, because that would eliminate prudent space in front of her scooter needed to give her enough time to stop before hitting someone. She slows down further, even to the extent of pulling to the side of the hall and stopping to let a big rush go by. It is her way of ensuring that prudence prevails over expediency in the use of her scooter.

Edited by bUU

Unfortunately, some scooter users have lost more than the ability to walk. I saw a driver who could not look over her shoulder to back up, she just stuck it in reverse and hoped for the best. A local legally blind friend took his scooter around the block and drove through a barricade into the mud where the sidewalk had been torn out. Some drivers park by ear. Clunk! Close enough. With the possibility that eyesight, hearing, reflexes, and mental faculties are impaired along with mobility, I give the motorized vehicles a wide berth.

On our last cruise, there was a woman who weighed about 450# and used a small scooter. She NEVER caused a problem, got in anyone's way, or ran over anyone. She was always considerate and careful. I personally have had a lot more problems with able bodied pedestrians than scooter drivers.

Of course, there are a lot more of them!

With the possibility that eyesight, hearing, reflexes, and mental faculties are impaired along with mobility, I give the motorized vehicles a wide berth.

Smart move.

Scooters don't have rearview mirrors, which would be very helpful. Even someone with great eyesight, who does check behind before backing up, has a serious blind spot. It's not uncommon for someone to move into that blind spot after you checked there, and are now looking elsewhere---even as you are moving.

Sometimes calling "beep-beep-beep" as you back up doesn't even keep people from walking right behind you. :rolleyes: