Restaurant Bookings, SDP and Platinum meals - A guide

KeithJenner

Thanks for all this great info, Keith! We have the SDP from Free at Sea and we also have in our Vacation Summary 2 $25 Choice Dining credits, which I assume came from our TA. Two friends are cruising with us, in a separate cabin, and they don't have the SDP. I was hoping to use the 2 Choice Dining credits to treat our friends to dinner, preferably at Cagney's. Is this doable? From reading through this thread, I have my doubts.

• 2 weeks later...
Without wanting to get too precious about this thread, I really would rather it was kept to giving practical advice about making reservations, and could we keep discussions about the pros and cons of a la carte to some of the numerous other threads on that subject.

Chill out man

Related question, 90 days out I was unable to book Cagney's. It was just wasn't on the list online. Some say there are limited online bookings, and I'll have to book on the ship. Will I be able to eat there??

SeaportMike,

Keep checking. The reservations don't always show up exactly at 90 days on the dot. I kept reloading and - poof- they showed up! I highly doubt it's sold out this early in your planning. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One more question: On the three dinner SPD, if I eat at Ocean Blue and pay the $15 up charge, does that count as one of my three?

Yes, it is $15 plus one of your credits.

Totally worth the extra $15 on top of the SDP credit, IMO. Our Ocean Blue meal on Breakaway last year was by far the best meal we had on the ship. (y)

Related question, 90 days out I was unable to book Cagney's. It was just wasn't on the list online. Some say there are limited online bookings, and I'll have to book on the ship. Will I be able to eat there??

Yes to limited online bookings, yes to keep checking, and yes book it when you get on board, asap.

SeaportMike,

Keep checking. The reservations don't always show up exactly at 90 days on the dot. I kept reloading and - poof- they showed up! I highly doubt it's sold out this early in your planning. Happy cruising!

I would usually agree with this, but looking at the OPs posting history, they are on the Escape in 5-6 weeks, and I'd be surprised if Cagneys hasn't yet been opened for reservations.

If it isn't available now, then it may be fully booked. I see they have posted on the roll call about it, but haven't read the replies. If others have been able to book it then that could certainly suggest it's full.

Edited by KeithJenner

Keith , your advice was spot on. We reserved our three UDP meals 90 days out and then booked out meals at LeBistro and LaCucina (Platinum benefits) once onboard. We enjoyed all the restaurants except LeBistro.

Also, note that if your children are included in the 3rd and 4th sail free promotion that they will be allowed to eat in some of the specialty restaurants off the children's menus. Teppanyaki didn't offer one, so our non-eater had to pay for a meal she didn't eat or like.

• 3 months later...

Hi Keith: I have a question about eating at Cagney's Steak House. I know this restaurant has a la carte dining. I have a free specialty dining. How does this work? I heard that you can't overspend or you'll receive a charge. I also heard that you can only have 1 appetizer and 1 dessert. Thank you for any suggestions on how to order at this place.

Hi Keith: I have a question about eating at Cagney's Steak House. I know this restaurant has a la carte dining. I have a free specialty dining. How does this work? I heard that you can't overspend or you'll receive a charge. I also heard that you can only have 1 appetizer and 1 dessert. Thank you for any suggestions on how to order at this place.

Order one appetiser, one entree and one dessert. If you order more (and I don't know how anyone could possibly eat more than that in Cagneys) and you'll pay for the extras. Quite simple.

I have a question! My DH & I will be on the Dawn this October with my Sister & BIL. Each couple has SDP. On our cruise last year, my DH & I had reached Platinum so we used both certificates to go to Le Bistro with the other couple with us that were not Platinum. How should we do it this year with my Sister & BIL who are not Platinum yet since they have changed how you can use the certificates.

The only limit stated in the T&Cs is that you can just have one entree. There is no limit stated anywhere on apps, sides and desserts.

A while ago there were a few reports on here about wait staff trying to limit other courses. It seemed that they usually backed down if this was queried. I haven't seen any reports of this for some time now.

Personally, one of each course, with a couple of sides is fine for me anyway, so I've never tested it myself.

There is no financial limit or anything like that. All dishes are fully included.

I have a question! My DH & I will be on the Dawn this October with my Sister & BIL. Each couple has SDP. On our cruise last year, my DH & I had reached Platinum so we used both certificates to go to Le Bistro with the other couple with us that were not Platinum. How should we do it this year with my Sister & BIL who are not Platinum yet since they have changed how you can use the certificates.

Your situation is one where the recent changes to the platinum meals is a problem. You can't now easily do what you used to and share the meals with another couple.

All is not lost though. It is possible to do it. You need to eat together at both venues that are covered by the platinum vouchers though, so doesn't work on a one off joint meal.

Book 4 restaurants, including one from each of the two options for the platinum meals. Let's say that you pick Moderno and Le Bistro.

At the other two restaurants, you obviously use the SDP. Obviously you don't all have to eat together at these ones if you don't want.

At Moderno, you use one of the platinum vouchers. State that you want it to cover yours and your sisters meals. Your husband and brother in law use their SDP.

At Le Bistro do the same thing, but this time use the platinum voucher to cover the men's meals and the women use their SDP.

It's a bit of messing around, but should work.

It is possible that you may be able to do it as a one off joint meal. If you have used your platinum voucher at Moderno then you will have a SDP credit left when you go to Le Bistro. When there, ask to use your SDP and hand over the platinum voucher to cover the other couple. There is however a risk that the staff would notice that neither of them are platinum and refuse. I don't know how likely that is, but my guess is that they will probably be ok with it. It could mess things up though.

N WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED? Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and our French, Mexican and Italian restaurants across the fleet. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

• The Supper Club - $15 USD
  • Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Bayamo - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)
  • Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

upcharge info from NCL site.

Is these prices correct?

I'm seriously considering not doing the Italian and doing the Cirque Dream instead... I still have months before I need (and can) book...

Doing Cagneys and Le Bistro. (Have 3 dinning package)

The only limit stated in the T&Cs is that you can just have one entree. There is no limit stated anywhere on apps, sides and desserts.

A while ago there were a few reports on here about wait staff trying to limit other courses. It seemed that they usually backed down if this was queried. I haven't seen any reports of this for some time now.

Personally, one of each course, with a couple of sides is fine for me anyway, so I've never tested it myself.

There is no financial limit or anything like that. All dishes are fully included.

We just returned from Norwegian Epic and when we ate at Cagney's there was no limit the number of appetizers or desserts. A few of us had two appetizers. The shrimp and pork belly were too difficult to choose between! The server was more than happy to bring both.

An off point here, but sorta related. I will become plat. Midway thru our 12/14 nine day pearl trip. I understand the Lat. rules, but also have gotten lucky a few times and was given status as soon as it happened. Will see the lat. rep. For this. What I'm getting to, is will DH be covered with the dinner perks now that it's a cabin coverage issue? Thanks

An off point here, but sorta related. I will become plat. Midway thru our 12/14 nine day pearl trip. I understand the Lat. rules, but also have gotten lucky a few times and was given status as soon as it happened. Will see the lat. rep. For this. What I'm getting to, is will DH be covered with the dinner perks now that it's a cabin coverage issue? Thanks

It's a dinner for two coupon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Keith as ever you have a mine of really helpful information......and all put so succinctly. I know you don't want this thread to expand but I think my question relates to dining not the quality of any one restaurant.

on the Epic the Haven Club Restaurant is available for all meals.

On the Jade where is Dinner taken as there is no dedicated restaurant as there is on the Epic. I know breakfast and lunch are taken in Cagney's for Haven guests......but Dinner???

Thanks again for all your insights.

Deeko

Wow, Keith you can answer faster than I can type!!

Thanks for that. I thought as much. We enjoy the range of facilities on the Epic. We also love the Jade. I think the Suite with Butler and Concierge and Speciality Dining is the way to go. On a 10 day we have 4 in the package and a few more will do the trick.

At least on Jade it's possible to find a quiet spot for a drink!! Not possible I think on Epic!!

Again many thanks.

Deeko