UBP now for first 2 passengers...do I need to buy my son a soda package?

Kileymf

Hi All,

We cruised last winter when the FreeStyle Choice (or whatever the promo was) included a complimentary beverage package for everyone in your cabin. They often took only one person's card for an entire table at dinners etc. My concern is that my son rarely drinks soda, usually milk or water. But do I need to worry about getting him a soda package? Has anyone had experience with this onboard yet? I'm fine with buying it but if it's not necessary I would rather save the money since he really may have 2-3 sodas throughout the cruise. I understand I can pay for these per diem but I am wondering if they just put it on our cards or if they will charge someone else's if we're all dining together...don't want a big mix up at the end of the cruise if they do it as they did last time. Any thoughts are appreciated! Happy Sailing!!

-K

Hi All,

We cruised last winter when the FreeStyle Choice (or whatever the promo was) included a complimentary beverage package for everyone in your cabin. They often took only one person's card for an entire table at dinners etc. My concern is that my son rarely drinks soda, usually milk or water. But do I need to worry about getting him a soda package? Has anyone had experience with this onboard yet? I'm fine with buying it but if it's not necessary I would rather save the money since he really may have 2-3 sodas throughout the cruise. I understand I can pay for these per diem but I am wondering if they just put it on our cards or if they will charge someone else's if we're all dining together...don't want a big mix up at the end of the cruise if they do it as they did last time. Any thoughts are appreciated! Happy Sailing!!

-K

Nope, the soda package is completely optional. The Adult Beverage package is the one that demands that each adult in the cabin over 21 have it, the soda package never has and is completely optional to each guest.

Yep it's buy the soda package or pay as you go. We are in the same boat (not littrally!) But our son will drink his was through the package. If yours will only have 3 or 4 then paying as he drinks must be best option. But as has been stated it will be your choice :)

Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not required to buy him one! I was also concerned about the fact that we're traveling with a group...if we have dinner together as we usually did, I'm wondering if they're still only taking one person's card with the UBP or taking them separately. I don't want his soda (or others if they take my card) charged to that account...that would definitely cause a mess since we have 20 people cruising...

Heya! I agree with everybody else, he doesn't have to have a package.

Sometimes at dinner they will take just one card but they do occasionally want to look at them all.

Technically you're allowed 2 drinks at a time now (I think) so I'm not sure if you'd get charged at all. You should in theory but sometimes I think the staff are just busy, see the UBP and just pay out.

In my experience if you're having more than about 2 sodas a day then it is worth getting the package. I normally get it, the sodas are normally 50% ice so two a day is easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not required to buy him one! I was also concerned about the fact that we're traveling with a group...if we have dinner together as we usually did, I'm wondering if they're still only taking one person's card with the UBP or taking them separately. I don't want his soda (or others if they take my card) charged to that account...that would definitely cause a mess since we have 20 people cruising...

When your family sits down for dinner you can order your drink as well as your sons soda since as previously mentioned you are allowed to order 2 drinks at a time. Furthermore the servers know (somehow, it's like magic) who is a part of which family and will charge whatever is appropriate to each account

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP has not really provided enough information to give a good answer. If he purchased his cruise when everyone in the cabin got a beverage package or, if it is just him and his son cruising then the son has a beverage package that is age appropriate. If the family is all cruising and only two in the cabin got a beverage package the two adults (assuming that there are two) will have the UBP, the third or fourth passengers can buy a soda package if desired, but it is not required.