Gifting a cruise?

kuddles14

My sister has always wanted to go to Alaska, I mean we have talked about this since 1996 and three years ago I gave her a box that opened straight up with a picture of the ship, date, schedule, saying "Alaska here we come", I put pictures of whales, glaciers, etc on the box and I put inside the box, ear muffs, gloves, brochures of alaska, I bought her an ornament that said Alaska here we come, etc. What was so great about this is in 1996 she gave me a birthday card that said "Alaska here we come" is it 1996, 1997 or 1998 and in the box I gave here the card back saying no it's 2013, she then got really sick and almost died, but now she's healthy and we are planning on going May 2017. It's been her dream forever and now, I'm trying my best to make it a good trip

Edited by hollon

In the fall of 1987, I had booked my very first cruise for April, 1988. Cruising was something that I had always wanted to try and I knew that I would have to scrimp and save to make this dream come true and I was prepared to do just that.

At the time, I was working for a sole practitioner lawyer who gifted me the cost of the cruise as my 1987 Christmas bonus. I know how very fortunate I was to receive such an expensive gift and I was very appreciative. That cruise was the first of many cruises albeit not as many as I would like to have sailed on. :)

Gave my sons and their others a gift of a Disney cruise a few years ago. Disney gives a fairly nice repeat cruiser gift and the year we gave them the cruise we had done a b2b so had received two very lovely backpacks with the DCL symbol on the front. We put items into the packs such as a DCL brochure with the cruise we were going on highlighted. We had picked up extra Navigators, what Royal calls 'Cruise Compass', and put one of each days into the bag. We picked up DCL pens, postcards that are left in the rooms, DCL napkins, room service menus, pretty much anything that we could find on the cruise that was free, and put those into the back packs as well. Our room steward gave us extra shampoos, conditioners and body lotions to add to our gifts. DCL has some very nice amenities. We added lanyards that we got for free when we checked in as repeat cruisers, two for each of the b2b sailings. We also included a note explaining what the plans were for flights, hotels, and transportation. Its amazing what you can pick up free onboard DCL. Not sure what Royal has to offer but I'm sure there must be items that can be found.

Each family was handed a backpack on Christmas morning and they had a blast going through the items. Kept everyone busy for a few hours discussing what they wanted to do on the cruise. To say they were happy is an understatement.

My sister has always wanted to go to Alaska, I mean we have talked about this since 1996 and three years ago I gave her a box that opened straight up with a picture of the ship, date, schedule, saying "Alaska here we come", I put pictures of whales, glaciers, etc on the box and I put inside the box, ear muffs, gloves, brochures of alaska, I bought her an ornament that said Alaska here we come, etc. What was so great about this is in 1996 she gave me a birthday card that said "Alaska here we come" is it 1996, 1997 or 1998 and in the box I gave here the card back saying no it's 2013, she then got really sick and almost died, but now she's healthy and we are planning on going May 2017. It's been her dream forever and now, I'm trying my best to make it a good trip

I am so happy to hear she is doing better and I am sure that Alaska trip will be great. Enjoy your trip but most of all enjoy your sister

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked next month's cruise in October, 2015. Mom was planning on retiring and finally gave me her last month. I didn't tell her anything, but I booked a family suite on LOS. On Christmas day, I had her open gifts that alluded to the cruise; cheap flip flops, an ugly floppy hat, and generic sunscreen. Her reaction was funny because she had that look of, "*** is this?" on her face.

Finally, for her last present, she opened a Faberge inspired egg. Inside the egg I placed a personalized itinerary for the cruise with the RC logo. Needless to say, she became very excited :)

42 days and counting :D

F1_zps4cpb39fn.jpg

F2_zpshyg61z4o.jpg