Docking at Cruz Bay St John

pbeach

In December, the K'dam is docking at WICO (Havensite) in St Thomas. I would expect the same in January.

I do not see it docking in St John, I don't think Cruz Bay is set up for that big of a ship.

You can easily take the ferry from St Thomas to Cruz Bay, St John if that is what you want to see.

We have spent many years at Caneel Bay which is on StJ. Cruz Bay is very small. If they are going to stop there, they would have to tender .. physically there is no other way. Further, there is little to do on that island unless you are camping or staying at one of the one main resort.

harry

Coincidentally, ms Prinsendam embarks today on a 16-day holiday cruise with Cruz Bay as a port-of-call. Keep in mind that ms Prinsendam is among the smallest cruise ships deployed by the major cruise lines, at 38,848 GT. (ms Koningsdam, by comparison, is 99,836 GT.) Even the comparatively small ms Prinsendam tenders at Cruz Bay. (And it is the only ship visiting St. John that day.)

Coincidentally, ms Prinsendam embarks today on a 16-day holiday cruise with Cruz Bay as a port-of-call. Keep in mind that ms Prinsendam is among the smallest cruise ships deployed by the major cruise lines, at 38,848 GT. (ms Koningsdam, by comparison, is 99,836 GT.) Even the comparatively small ms Prinsendam tenders at Cruz Bay. (And it is the only ship visiting St. John that day.)

Yes - I knew Pdam sailed from FLL today - would love to be on her - looks like a wonderful itinerary and so I glanced at the last minute prices yesterday. We only had a 14 day holiday itinerary on her when we went. But, we just recently did the 10 day on the new Kdam which was also great and I'll just have to reminisce about both of those cruises.

I didn't go through the whole booking engine, but it looks like an ocean-view cabin for two would run less than $125 per person per day. Really? That's remarkable.

They're doing it again next year. <musing>

Updated: Wait, I've been in that cabin on other ships: It's the cabin with the anchor next door. No thanks. :)

Edited by bUU

I didn't go through the whole booking engine, but it looks like an ocean-view cabin for two would run less than $125 per person per day. Really? That's remarkable.

They're doing it again next year. <musing>

Updated: Wait, I've been in that cabin on other ships: It's the cabin with the anchor next door. No thanks. :)

I just went through the booking - as a Mariner and including port/taxes it comes to $90 a day and you wouldn't have the anchor next door.........If only we could get a dog sitter.......

Ships do not dock at St John. Generally they dock in St Thomas and you ferry over to St. John. (That is how we did it). It appears that the ship will anchor offshore and run tender boats into Cruz Bay. St. John is GORGEOUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ferry to Cruz Bay is time consuming which I would hope that more cruise lines would dock at St Thomas for at least 9 hours if possible...

Will be Koningsdam Jan 2017. Where do HAL ships dock in St John?

Thanks!

Are you a Blues cruiser? :D Join the roll call if you are!

We have anchored, then tendered into Cruz Bay.

The last time we were there they had a couple of bands play at the bandstand right in the main square.

We have spent many years at Caneel Bay which is on StJ. Cruz Bay is very small. If they are going to stop there, they would have to tender .. physically there is no other way. Further, there is little to do on that island unless you are camping or staying at one of the one main resort.

harry

I hope St. John stays that way!!! Spent a week camping at Cinnamon Bay in VINP. One of my favorite vacations of all time. Let the thousands who descend on St. John for a few hours from a ship go to Trunk Bay and leave the rest for us ;)

Are you a Blues cruiser? :D Join the roll call if you are!

We have anchored, then tendered into Cruz Bay.

The last time we were there they had a couple of bands play at the bandstand right in the main square.

Yep, Blues Cruiser :cool:

Thanks for responding.

Couldn't find a roll call.

I hope St. John stays that way!!! Spent a week camping at Cinnamon Bay in VINP. One of my favorite vacations of all time. Let the thousands who descend on St. John for a few hours from a ship go to Trunk Bay and leave the rest for us ;)

No Trunk Bay for us, we always take the hike to Salomon beach, one of the nicest small beaches in the Caribbean. No crowds, no amenities, 30 to 40 minute rocky hike from Cruz Bay. Only get to stay there for 2 to 3 hours depending on how fast we can get there...

In December, the K'dam is docking at WICO (Havensite) in St Thomas. I would expect the same in January.

I do not see it docking in St John, I don't think Cruz Bay is set up for that big of a ship.

You can easily take the ferry from St Thomas to Cruz Bay, St John if that is what you want to see.

Is the Koningsdam going to St. John USVI?

I don't think any but the smaller cruise ships could dock at St. John. We were in St. John on the Eurodam in 2009 and we tendered.

Edited by Boytjie

I don't think any but the smaller cruise ships could dock at St. John. We were in St. John on the Eurodam in 2009 and we tendered.
ms Prinsendam tenders at Cruz Bay. When we were last there, it was, generously-speaking, a ferry dock, not a port.

I have never seen a discussion on this issue. If a cruise ship tenders at St.John USVI, is there a "port charge"? I assume there is a charge for daily use when docking at St. Thomas, USVI? If there is no charge at St. John's, why not go there?
Capacity of the island to host and occupy a high volume of passengers.

The National Park Service owns more than half of Saint John, and that area is mostly left as wilderness. The island's offerings, especially once you get more than a half mile from the ferry port, are (perhaps deliberately) left without inadequate facilities for day guests. For example, when we visited St. John last, if you weren't staying at the Caneel Bay Resort you had to hike to Honeymoon Beach (not walk; hike). There wasn't any facilities on the beach when we were there years ago (and the hotel was not interested in letting you use their facilities without getting a hefty fee from you).

By comparison, St. Thomas has been built up to take and and occupy each day literally tens of thousands of what are to the island just day guests.

Edited by bUU

We just spent a couple weeks island hopping in the USVI / BVI as land vacation in August and have visited many times since marrying on St John in 2003 while on a cruise. In August we got to observe Azamara anchored between Cruz Bay and Red Hook. No dock for ships (thankfully) as St John is more of the "getaway" from St Thomas. Even our wedding day in 2003 - we were on a 7 night cruise onboard a larger ship anchored in Bay near Havensight and we could purchase tickets directly from ship to Cruz Bay through the shore excursions desk. The ferries picked us up like tenders onboard (we had a meeting point onboard like shore excursions) and we went straight from ship to Cruz Bay, not having to go to Charlotte Amalie / cab / Red Hook / ferry. Those wishing to spend the day on St Thomas did regular tended ashore.

Ooops - think it was our March trip observing Azamara anchored (or similar but recalling Azamara). We had gone down for a week to stay on St Thomas and do our SCUBA certifications, staying at the new Margaritaville resort facing St John since it was an easy walk to the dive shop. Made sure to go back to our wedding beach on St John on our wedding day and church service where the pastor was who had married us (he has since passed). Returned in April for a cruise but didn't make it to St John since we did diving that day - but definitely love St John :) Definitely only a ferry dock (and small boats from the catamarans) and not a major cruise ship dock in Cruz Bay.

Edited by MandyGirl

Yes, I agree .. Cinnamon Bay is one of the world's best camping grounds ... and St John has stayed pretty much pristine because the Rockerfellers donated the 80% of the land to be national park.

harry