Mmmmm BEER!!!!

Huppe

I think you are correct. A 1/2 barrel of Bell's Two Hearted Ale goes for $180. Bud or Busch Light $60, sometimes on special for $50. They would have to adjust the AIBP price if the beer served was 3 or 4 times the cost.

I for one, would be willing to pay $$$ for a "decent" IPA. Fortunately they do serve Dalwhinee and Remy XO so all is not lost.

I would cruise an extra week a year on a ship that had Two Hearted on tap :D

I would cruise an extra week a year on a ship that had Two Hearted on tap :D

It's what's in my kegerator as we speak. Isn't it 5:00 o'clock somewhere ?

Yes at least one "decent" IPA like Two Hearts would be awesome. Even if they had to exclude it from the AIBP or charge $7+/pint for it.

It's what's in my kegerator as we speak. Isn't it 5:00 o'clock somewhere ?

Yes at least one "decent" IPA like Two Hearts would be awesome. Even if they had to exclude it from the AIBP or charge $7+/pint for it.

I may have to grab a case on the way home. I'm smoking a pork shoulder tonight and will need something to sip on. The Winter White is decent if you haven't tried that.

I've got to agree with Thrak. The mass produced King of Beers and Banquet Beer just doesn't cut it when it comes to beer. There are so many other tastes out there. However, I do see where profit margin plays into this.

I spent several years in Chico in my early 20's and could rarely afford Sierra Nevada on a regular basis. But when I did have it, oh what a treat it was. I hear ya Thrak, I hear ya. :D

On the ships, I'm perfectly happy with Guinness. Would love to someday see some Bear Republic beers on the beer list, such as Racer 5.

I've got to agree with Thrak. The mass produced King of Beers and Banquet Beer just doesn't cut it when it comes to beer. There are so many other tastes out there. However, I do see where profit margin plays into this.

I spent several years in Chico in my early 20's and could rarely afford Sierra Nevada on a regular basis. But when I did have it, oh what a treat it was. I hear ya Thrak, I hear ya. :D

On the ships, I'm perfectly happy with Guinness. Would love to someday see some Bear Republic beers on the beer list, such as Racer 5.

Ken Grossman - the guy who dropped out of college to make beer (Sierra Nevada Brewing) - is in the paper again today. He and his wife just donated $2 Million to UC Davis to fund a full-time brewing position for their brewing science department. Not bad for a college dropout and definitely not some bearded hipster in an abandoned warehouse... :rolleyes:

The brewery has also been the recipient of awards for it's green technology. Everything - even the spent grain - is reused. The water used to wash the trucks is used for landscaping. Nothing is wasted. They recently achieved their goal of producing more electricity on-site than they actually use. They even have a CO2 recovery system. In 2010 the EPA named them as their "Green Business of the Year".

Bearded hipsters in an abandoned warehouse? In my home town (Chico, CA) is the Sierra Nevada Brewery. State of the art copper stuff. Big building. Fantastic music venue. Awarded by the state as totally "green". (Even the water used to wash the trucks and all of the "waste" from brewing is used elsewhere.) They generate all of the electricity they use. They just built a big new facility in Mills River, NC. Since it is local we get many beers that don't make it into the major market. Some of them are fantastic.

Many countries have purity laws for beer. Water, Barley, Hops, and Yeast are the only things allowed in your product if you want to call it beer. Budweiser, etc. have up to 50 additives. It is more properly described as "swill" rather than as "beer". Just because some of us prefer real beer to industrial "whatever" doesn't mean we are some sort of weirdos.

Wherever we travel my wife and I sample the locally produced beer. Some of it is excellent. A few times it has been "less than good" if I describe it in charitable terms. Good beer is wonderful. Mass produced stuff... Not only not wonderful but really not even good at all.

Sierra Nevada has been covered in Forbes - not exactly a sleazy production. My wife and I have enjoyed excellent beers in many places. The tiny town of Talkeetna Alaska has some really excellent beers. They are not produced by "bearded hipsters in abandoned warehouses". Sheesh...

Oh, YES! Talkeetna is where I first discovered the Stout Float, at a local brewery. Wonderful!

I also enjoy trying the local beers when traveling. Kiltlifter is another favorite, discovered in Arizona. Can't get it in the East.

We did an Alaska cruise in September. My husband was looking forward to the beer excursion afterwards out of Anchorage and he had a great time in the tour at four breweries. I just went for the ride along. It made up for the appalling lack of craft brews on the ship. We will probably never return to Alaska but he was one happy beer blogger for a couple of days. (I only drink white wine. Sorry)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have to grab a case on the way home. I'm smoking a pork shoulder tonight and will need something to sip on. The Winter White is decent if you haven't tried that.

I must have been good this year, Santa brought me a case of Two Hearted and a 12 pack of Bell's Winter White :D Smiling like a butcher's dog!