Security Checkpoint Question

Blaaamo

The check point is inside the building and you have to take your coat off.

Unless they have changed it since April, I have never had to take my coat off in the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at the security checkpoint or anywhere else.

Shoes stay on. Belts stay on (unless it has high metallic content & know to set off the alarm). Easier than typical US airport security theater drills.

We usually pre-plan & toss all the loose items into backpack (mine) or her totebag/giant carry-on purse with keys, coins, smartphone, etc. into an Eagle Creek Pack-It-Sac (zippered pouch) to minimize the odds of anything falling out while going thru the content go thru the x-ray.

Terminal building is heated & comfortable, lines move quickly & yes, if I remember, as we sailed in the colder months - outwear like coats & parka, etc. do come off & quickly thru the scanner, joining the carry-on luggage. OP isn't going to freeze there (except for us, post-Sandy in 2012 for us when the entire place was on emergency/generator power & not heated).

Contract/outsourced security personnel in NYC are much more friendlier than TSA at the airport - it's old style X-ray & walk-thru metal detector, not the see-thru latest "cat-scan". If alarm is set off, empty & re-check your pocket contents, take the watch & gold denture out into the tray, go back & repeat it again ... maybe a quick portable wand to clear and/or possibly gloved pad-down, professionally done - IMO.

Edited by mking8288

We've been sailing out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal for 10 years now and have never been asked to take our coats off. Security checkpoint is right inside of the building as you enter.

As mking posted above, terminal building is heated and comfortable.

Have a great cruise!!

12/11 cruise we were all asked to take off our coats. the staff in NY is very friendly and on the way home the customs guy made nice small talk with the kids. also i find the discussions with the porter on the way to the car can be interesting