Koningsdam Recommendations on Ship & Eastern Caribbean POC Needed

SoFla_KJ

I will be cruising on Koningsdam 7 night Holiday cruise departing Dec 23rd. I'm new to HAL and only went on one short cruise before. I'm looking for recommendations regarding dining, activities and shore excursions. We are going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, and HMC.

I'm 29 and traveling with my father who is 65 (very active). My mother, his wife, passed away a few weeks ago and we just booked this last minute to get away for Christmas. We live about 45 mins away from Port Everglades and I'm packing my own snorkel gear for HMC.

Any recommendations are appreciated since I haven't done much research on HAL or the ports of call. The only things we have booked are dinner reservations at Pinnacle and Tamarind, massages at the spa, and a clamshell at HMC.

I'm not planning to do shore excursions in San Juan, just explore the old town.

We did the transatlantic on the Koningsdam and really enjoyed the dinner in the Culinary Arts Center. If I remember correctly it was $39.00 each for a 5 course meal and included wine with dinner and a welcome cocktail. You watch the chef prepare the meal and then enjoy it. They have 2 menus and they alternate nights. We went twice so as to experience both of them, and we enjoyed them both.

Make sure you take in the evening shows in the World Stage.

We thought the Lido on the Koningsdam was the best of any HAL ship.

If you like beach days, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are perfect.

In San Juan there is a free hop on hop bus that goes around Old San Juan. There are stops within easy walking distance of the port. The forts in San Juan are interesting and cheap. $5.00 entrance fee, and your ticket can get you into both.

We loved the Koningsdam. Hope you enjoy your cruise, and it helps both you and your dad deal with your mom's passing.

Welcome to the Cruise Critic boards. We are sorry to hear of your recent loss. Hoping that your cruise is a good experience.

I've not had much luck with snorkeling at HMC, although there's a bit of fish activity on the left (as you face the water) by the rocks and it's ok but nothing fabulous. GT and St Thomas especially Coki Beach are so much better! If you're not on a ship tour you can get a cab to coki Beach, but ask about getting back, I thtink they'll come pick you up at a pre-determined time. m--

You will have better luck snorkeling at GT than HMC.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother and I hope you and your father have a lovely time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We walked down the beach and got the most amazing snorkel trip for $45 each.