Jewel Review 10/21/2005 (long)

Tomct

I can't believe I have to wait over a year to go on our Cruise. I am sailing with my new husband and four step children. Tom- Did you happen to see any of the kid areas???

ONLY 379 more days until we go. How sad am I?:o

I can't believe I have to wait over a year to go on our Cruise. I am sailing with my new husband and four step children. Tom- Did you happen to see any of the kid areas???

We noticed several areas for the kid's, but couldn't describe exactly where they were. If you are familiar with the Dawn or Star layouts, they have installed an enclosed hot tub for the kids on Deck 12, port side, along side the bar area, where you would have passed through to the Garden Cafe. Since there were very few kids on this cruise, and the weather was cold, we did notice a few adults enjoying the "shelter" from wind and cold. We actually noticed it on our first full day, as the ship prepared to depart Boston. So we quickly went back to our cabin, got our suits on, and enjoyed our departure in the hot tub. We never did return, and though we saw plenty of folks in the hot tubs by the pool, we rarely saw others in the Kid's area.

We also saw a little wading pool and play area, not sure where. We saw the main Kid's Krew area, but never thought to do any "scouting", though I now wish we had.

The Garden Cafe had a kid's buffet area as they do on the Dawn, but it was not set up. We did see a few kids and adults sitting in the short chairs at the short tables. My grandkids loved the freedom offerred them on the Dawn to walk up to their own limited menu buffet line, but with the new procedures in place for the main buffet, I wonder if they will also have someone serving the kids line.

Does anyone know how long he will be on the Jewel?? We are going early Feb-I hope he is there

I think the Nov. 20th cruise will be his last one before leaving for two months. You may luck out with a February cruise, as it appears he will return around then.

TomCt, many thanks for your reply to my questions. I did check out the photos you posted and could see the fine basketball court.

You know what? I never had much interest in sailing on NCL because we are so pleased with Royal Caribbean, but your review and photos has really given me something to think over. The Jewel looks so beautiful and I really like the idea of so many tempting restuarant choices and "freestyle cruising" if I understand it to mean eating when you want...no assigned tables or dining times. My husband just bridles at that idea, so we always end up in the Windjammer, so he can go when he wants IF he wants.icon14.gif

I walked threw the kids club it looked pretty cool. Attached is the kids pool tucked behind the water slide.

1706836811_JewelTAkidspool.jpg.6a8c1aa0883590ad05ed517ec6822e92.jpg

TomCt, many thanks for your reply to my questions. I did check out the photos you posted and could see the fine basketball court.

You know what? I never had much interest in sailing on NCL because we are so pleased with Royal Caribbean, but your review and photos has really given me something to think over. The Jewel looks so beautiful and I really like the idea of so many tempting restuarant choices and "freestyle cruising" if I understand it to mean eating when you want...no assigned tables or dining times. My husband just bridles at that idea, so we always end up in the Windjammer, so he can go when he wants IF he wants.icon14.gif

I hope you give it a try!! We have only cruised with NCL, and love the FreeStyle approach. We are pretty well organized about what we want to do, when we want to eat, activities we want to attend, etc., and always have a general plan mapped out in advance. Each evening the "FreeStyle Daily" list of activities for the next day is delivered to our room, and we firm up our game plan for the day. However, stuff happens, and we have the freedom to adjust.

We usually plan our favorite restaurants for sea days, as we're never too sure what we will be doing or eating on shore. It gives us great flexibility to change our evening plans accordingly, and eat earlier or later if we want. I'm not sure how our style would be impacted with traditional cruising, but for now, we are happy with the cruising choices NCL has presented us with. A typical day for us is to eat early, catch the early show, then hit our favorite lounge for an evening of music and a few drinks. On those days when we may have eaten late in port, we can still catch the early show, then eat late, and still have some time at the end of the day to catch a lounge show.

Hi Tom,

Loved the review as it was a chance to live the Jewel all over again! Glad you hooked up with the Ironics. I asked them if there was a CD coming anytime soon, but got the impression that's faded for now.

Hope you'll get another bug for a last minute cruise and can join us Feb. 5th - 19th (or any part of it) back on the Jewel. I'm still stunned we've agreed to fly to FL! :eek: With our love of the Dawn, it's been a long time since I've had to think about a hotel for the night before just in case...... :rolleyes:

I do sincerely hope our paths will cross somehow.

p.s. markf, I know you started a roll call for Feb. 12th and it got cut short. I think I've managed to find the original roll call, buried on pg. 18! So we've resurrected it and it's on the front page of the roll call. Another cruiser from our Oct. 10th Canada cruise, kaiemiascott2 is doing the same B2B we are and has also joined the thread. Please come by!:)

Thanks TomCt and ShoreGuy!!!! Your comments make me all the more excited to get on the Jewel. I can't believe I have to wait a year!!!!

HeavySurf - I have cruised NCL and RCI both many times, in fact have worked for both companies as a A.C.D. as well. If you like Royal Caribbean you will definetly like NCL. And with Freestyle Cruising you can't go wrong. I think it is the best thing NCL ever did.

Hi Tom' date='

Loved the review as it was a chance to live the Jewel all over again! Glad you hooked up with the Ironics. I asked them if there was a CD coming anytime soon, but got the impression that's faded for now.

. . .

[/quote']

We were fortunate to speak with them a number of times during breaks in their shows. I only approached them the first night, and asked them about the CD, but the subject came up several other times when they came over to talk with us. For other Ironic fans out there, they completed a CD nearly two years ago, but before they actually put it into production, the Master copy was lost with some luggage. It still seems strange to me that nobody had a backup copy, but the bottom line is "no CD". Their current contract period will be up soon, and they will head home to the Phillippines, where they hope to begin work on another CD. I sure hope they pull it off, it would be great to be able to play their music in the car, or on the home stereo.

On the early days of the cruise, their shows were not well attended, but as the cruise went on, more and more people showed up for listening and dancing. We started out sitting straight out from them, but later in the week we had to move to the side where they sit during breaks, so we could see them. That's when one of them would occasionally drop by to chat, as they appreciate how much we enjoy them. There also seemed to be quite a few other diehard fans who were there much of the time, especially later in the cruise. Once they get their CD on the market, I'll have to bug them about a DVD, just kidding.

The next contract may be the last one for Joy, the youngest of the group. She is married to a bartender on the Jewel, and it appears she may be going home to start a family. Jan (?) is married to the keyboard player, and Glenda, the oldest, did not seem like marriage is high on her priority list.

Tomct: Do you know when their current contract is up? After hearing so much about them I sure hope they are around for my early March cruise.

I think they said they would be going home in December, certainly by Christmas. I would guess they would return mid-February, though I'm not sure if they said they would definetely return to the Jewel. March would be safe if they are headed back there.

They are best when they have two venues, Spinnakers, and Poolside. That gives them more flexibility for song selelction, as they are limited to popular dance music in Spinnakers. If you like popular music, you'll really enjoy them.

Archived