Britannia dining on Qm 2

silverhead6736

We were spoilt on our earlier cruise this year on the QE2 from Hong Kong to Southampton when we were given a nice round table by the large stern windows with interupted views, particularly good when entering ports like Istanbul and the Suez passage.

I read in a review, after the remastering, that the writer had a preference for the 2nd floor and the first tier of the Britannia. His opinion being that he thought it to be a more open aspect and certainly not as closed in as the first floor. Not that the flooring arrangement has been changed during the remastering.

Would anybody like to comment on which floor, first or second and which tier please.

Only a few days to go.

Thank you

My observations are that the main floor is only impressive if seated near the centre where the grandeur of the room can be appreciated. The tables under the upper level seem a bit confined, although it isn't so bad at a table at or near a window.

Personally I prefer the upper level. The spacious first tier gives a better overview of the dining room. The third tier is closer to the ceiling, of course, but we were at the edge so we were able to enjoy the view of the impressive room. There are window tables, of course, on the top tier of the upper level. Many people like that location despite the fairly low ceiling.

When you referred to your trip on the QE2, I think we all know you mean the QE.:)

Thanks David....ofcourse QE....but we are well through our day here and the bar has been open a couple of hours.!

Thanks for the input...it seems to confirm and add a liitle more. Appreciated.

To Tradeboy...of course it isnt. If you don't ask you don't get., Regards to all

Hello

I have sailed on the wonderful Queen Mary 2 22 times and preparing for my 23rd sailing on 1/3/17 from New York to Cape Town. Please pay attention as I know what I'm talking about. This is what I ALWAYS do.

If you are concerned about your table location, the first thing you need to do is go to your cabin and find and then take your table card down the restaurant. Find the location of your table. Please keep in mind that at the time of embarkation some of the table numbers may not have been placed on the table. Seek out the help of one of the crew members who are usually working in the room to locate your table.

If you are happy with your table location and size then there is nothing else for you to do except to unpack, have lunch and enjoy the rest of the afternoon until the lifeboat drill is held.

If you are unhappy with your arrangements, take a pen and paper and wander around ALL four levels of the dining room and take note of ALL tables and their numbers you WOULD be happy with. The more candidates you have for your preferred table the more likely the MD will be able to accommodate you.

Be one of the first in line to discuss your needs with the MD. He opens up the line at 1PM or so (Time can vary so ask one of the waiters who is in the area.) HIs desk will be on deck two on the main level of the dining room. I don't know what time you be able to board. Obviously the later to get in the MD line the longer that line will be. YOU WILL NOT BE THE ONLY PASSENGER WHO IS SEEKING A CHANGE OF TABLE OR STTING TIME.

When you meet with the MD, show him your table number card and politely request that you would like to move to one of your preferred tables that you show him from your list. YOU DO NOT NEED TO GIVE HIM A GOOD REASON! The fact that you want a change is reason enough.

9 times out of ten he will be able to accommodate you on the spot. (Especially if you have a decent number of candidates.) Sometimes he or she will advise that nothing can be done at the moment and that you will need to eat at your assigned table the first night but there is a good chance he will be able to effect a change for the following night. (Is that a sentence???!!!) Rarely will he NOT be able to assist you.

In case you were wondering I prefer the top level (Of the four levels.) table next to a window. In my opinion its a lot quieter. I can also be happy with a table on the main level as long as its next to a window. I don't want to be in the middle of all the comings and goings in the middle of the room where you are surrounded by all these fellow passengers and tables and the scurrying waiters.

I have no desire to enter into a tipping debate but I have always found it helpful to tip the MD for his service to you.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. No matter what, I am confident you will have an enjoyable voyage.

Merry Christmas!

Deck Chair.

This is all very well but how can you request a particular table or area anyway?

They usually just give you a table number and that's about it, isn't it?

On our first QV cruise we successfully requested (in advance) one of the Britannia tables adjacent to the rear windows. I think we requested it by location feather than table number. There were six in our group (three couples with linked reservations) and I think we each made the same request. Edited by Underwatr

If you are on various legs of a world cruise, are you allocated new tables at the beginning of each leg? Invariably you are out sightseeing on changeover day, so do you return to your cabin later that day and find a new table card?

Thanks...

If you are on various legs of a world cruise, are you allocated new tables at the beginning of each leg? Invariably you are out sightseeing on changeover day, so do you return to your cabin later that day and find a new table card?

Thanks...

No keep the same table. We did 2 legs on the QE earlier this year and it was the same.

See you soon.

This is all very well but how can you request a particular table or area anyway?

They usually just give you a table number and that's about it, isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can always go to the Maître D & request a change. Do tip them if they get you the table you like(it's only fair!)

Definitely need to get it right on the first day then!;)

Thanks... :)

Think so,although we changed three time in the first three days on our QE trip earlier this year.

We were offered different times different tables ,a choice of two once before we settled,only gave one tip. We came quite friendly with the Maitre d who visited us regularly at the table,didn't do any harm.

Have you read the posts by Deck chair he has sailed 22 times on the QM2.He knows the crack