NCL's 50th Anniversary

pscozz702

NCL born 8 days before I was born. Next week I celebrate my 50th on the Dawn.

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DW was born the beginning of January of '66 so in July we did a celebtitory cruise, happy medium. Happy birthday to you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

I enjoyed reading the article. A little surprised (and disappointed) to see the misinformation about Norwegian Epic having "no main dining room" resurface after all these years… I know, the rumor was spread by Colin Veitch himself in 2008, but more reliable information about the ship has come to light since then :rolleyes:

The Miami Herald wrote this interesting article hope you all enjoy it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article121412013.html

That's nostalgic for me...

As a boy, long before I travelled far, discovered America (I know that was actually/officially someone else :D) & certainly cruising ...We had a holiday home on the humble IOW off the Hampshire coast. Views were great of the Solent & the shipping movements in/out of both Portsmouth & Southampton. The old Queen Elizabeth everyone will remember but my favorite was the SS Norway with those iconic wings on the funnel.

40 years ago give or take but your article has made it feel like yesterday.

Do you think there was the UBP at this time!!! :D

Any article about the history of NCL is not complete without mentioning the Dream, Majesty, Dawn and Gem.

Love the Dawn and the Gem, not to big but big enough. Doing the Breakaway again after being on her in the summer, hoping the amount of people dwindle down a little. The one thing about the Dawn I really like is the stadium style sundeck, only ship I know that has that feature.

Nice article. Surprised the mistake of the Epic was not mentioned. Epic was suppose to have a sister, but was cancelled. A good call, but a costly one. Epic is a one of a kind ugly ship and NCL was smart enough to cut their losses early.

Any other cruise line would of marketed their 50th anniversary as a positive thing. The current NCL seems to overlook their history. More focused on how charge more onboard for those who book this line after 'freestyle' went into effect after the hostile takeover of Star Cruises about 16 years ago.

Edited by coaster

A simple acknowledgement on the NCL site that they are 50 years old would mean they at least have a sense of pride in their pioneering of the cruise industry. Truthfully, not surprised as NCL CEO's churn so often as they are not around long enough to gain any respect for longevity of this line.

Edited by coaster

I find it interesting the article mentions they won't just be known as a cheaper version of whatever else is out there. I find NCL to be less expensive than some other lines typically but not nearly as cheap as others. Have they been known as the cheap or bargain basement line in the industry?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by LakeWobegon

Nice article. Surprised the mistake of the Epic was not mentioned. Epic was suppose to have a sister, but was cancelled. A good call, but a costly one. Epic is a one of a kind ugly ship and NCL was smart enough to cut their losses early.

the epic bathroom design is the worse. i wonder who's bright idea it was to separate the shower and toilet into two different areas instead of just a normal bathroom like what every ship has..