Thanksgiving on HAL

shuttle-c

This will be our second Thanksgiving on a HAL ship. We really were disappointed with the Thanksgiving dinner last year. The chiefs just didn't cook sweet potatoes like home made. But We opted to go again because the rest of the cruise is worth missing a Home cooked Thanksgiving dinner.

Does anyone else feel that way? What's everyones opinion on HAL's Thanksgiving dinners?

This is also our second Thanksgiving cruise. While I did not find the meal bad, it wasn't "home made" either. My daughter (12):p loves stuffing, and we laughed and laughed when the serving portion was only about a teaspoon. We didn't ask for more as there was plenty of other food on the plate. I insisted on the traditional Thanksgiving meal last year, but this year I think I will opt for the Filet. Hey I've already broken tradition by taking a cruise over the holiday.

I agree with JimVrhovac I won't be making the meal or cleaning up - I have NO COMPLAINTS!! The meal is fantastic!;)

Sandy

I've cruised during Thanksgiving a couple of times and have never found the Thanksgiving dinner to be of anything special at all. But, that did not really bother me as I choose to cruise during that week because of timing, not because of a desire to celebrate that holiday onboard.

Each family has their own traditions and their own special recipes. One family loves sweet potatoes with those tiny marshmellows melted on top. That is not to my taste at all. Another family may look forward to oyster stuffing but the family at the next table wants chestnut stuffing.

It is absolutely impossible for everyone to have 'their homemade' holiday meal on board any ship. If you really want to have the 'homemade" (as it is prepared in your family) you cannot possibly expect to find that 'taste' aboard IMO

You can always make those sweet potatoes or stuffing or whateverit is when you return home or before you leave for your cruise.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope we all have a wonderful meal wherever we are.

Last year we were on Celebrity for Thanksgiving and I mentioned to our waiter that I loved the skin and he went into the kitchen and brought me a big plate of it. My cholesterol thanked him and shared an extra tip w/me for him!:eek:

I agree with everyone - I think the Cruise is worth it. I was just wandering if others weren't that pleased with the meal. All the other meals are great.

Stuffing just wasn't enough and the sweet potatoes seemed like they were out of a can.

Again - the cruise is worth missing the meal for however. My kids don't think so, because I am not cooking. They don't have to slave for two days getting everything ready and have it over in 1 hour.

I think we are starting a tradition of Thanksgiving cruises. This is our second one.

Oh, I am so with you Shuttle-c!!! We did Thanksgiving last year, and I told my husband, "I'm never cooking Thanksgiving dinner again!" So we booked Zuiderdam for this year and we're looking into Noordam for next year! I mean, how important is stuffing anyway?!?

Here's to a full day of relaxation on Thanksgiving day and a wonderful meal provided by HAL :D :D

Enjoy your trip!!!

We have had a couple of Thanksgiving dinners on a cruise ship. While it usually doesn't taste like it does back home, we'll take a Thanksgiving dinner ANYTIME on a ship! My wife's birthday is on Nov. 25th, and she LOVES to celebrate on a ship.

I work out of state and do not go back to Florida for Thanksgiving. I LOVE Stuffing, except for last year in Monroe La... (northeast La. ) I went to a upscale restaurant in Monroe (oxy-moron) for their Thankgiving buffet. They had cornbread dressing... and by cornbread that all that was in it. No celery or anything else. BAD BAD BAD .........

What I like is that I only am obligated to one Thanksgiving dinner when on a cruise. If I'm home there seems to be a battle to have me attend every family and friends dinner and I stop by rather than insult them. This is my 3rd year of eliminating that problem. If I miss it I could dine in 3 different restaurants on the ship but sometimes need that cold turkey and cranberry sandwich at 10 pm.

Have never cruised during a holiday. We usually cruise somewhere in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as these are, er, uh, well... just plain cheaper!

I know you are all inclined to count your blessings for whatever is served during "Thanks Giving" dinner onboard. It's the meaning of the entire day that counts, right? Hey, no one says you can't make a turkey with all the trimmings however you and your family enjoy them... in July!

Eating shrimp cocktail, prime rib, creme brulee on Thanksgiving...hummm... I can handle that. What has hit me is that I won't be gazing through "black Friday" newspaper inserts, planning my 6 am shopping, while a bunch of cousins watch football all afternoon.

I'm with you Mary!

This will be our first Holiday at sea. The thought of no cooking and cleaning and no battle and to who's family we are going to spend the day with.....sounds like heaven to me. I'll take shrimp over turkey anyday!!

Jennifer

My grown Kids aren't really happy, but I can see them anytime. They'll have to learn to cook themselves or come along on the cruise.

I do miss the great deals of black Friday, but there is Nothings better than cruising.

I'll give up shopping for a cruise any day. Besides I can shop like crazy in the different ports.

I am so addicted to cruising that shopping takes a second place.

Have never cruised during a holiday. We usually cruise somewhere in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as these are, er, uh, well... just plain cheaper!

I'm with you. Unfortunately, as long as I am working in the job I am currently in, I'll never get to cruise on Thanksgiving, nor on any other major holiday. I generally work 12 to 16 hour shifts on most holidays, and it's the money I get paid for those holiday shifts that helps to pay for my cruises at other times of the year.

But, hey ... I don't have it too bad. My company lays out a Thanksgiving dinner for employees who are working, and believe it or not, it's amazingly good.

So, I still don't have to cook or clean up. Dad goes over my brother's house for his Thanksgiving meal. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived