Transportation quest Whittier & Anchorage

sprinkles

Hi All,

OK, so I leave the ship in Whittier - do I take a taxi to get to the train station? Or is it walking distance? When I get to Anchorage, do I take another taxi to get to the car rentals? Guessing I should just rent a car at the airport, so I can just return it there at the end? Thanks.

Tammy

Hi there,:)

The Downtown ARR Train Station is not within walking distance to the Airport. I don't know which ship you are on, but Princess does NOT use the Airport Train Station. The Train loading platform in Whittier is within walking distance from the ship.

:cool:

THANKS!

If I read the above right, I can exit the ship and walk to the train station in Whittier (we are doing this independantly and not through Princess). Then I want to take the train to downtown Anchorage and get our car rental there? If I return my car to the same location then how will I get to the airport, do they have shuttles?

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi All,

another question, I just found out that there is only one train from Whittier to Anchorage and it doesn't leave until 6:45pm. How else could I get from Whittier to Anchorage without renting a car?

Tammy

You may want to consider renting a car through Avis. I believe that they are the only car rental company in Whittier. The cost is about $236.00 for the day, but you can return it to the Ancorage airport, and not have to worry about your luggage. Another alturnative is to make reservations with Princess for the Princess Scienic Train Transfer that leaves about 8AM and gets into Anchorage about 11:30AM (Limited space), it's about $90.00 extra per person than the bus transfer.

. Another alturnative is to make reservations with Princess for the Princess Scienic Train Transfer that leaves about 8AM and gets into Anchorage about 11:30AM (Limited space), it's about $90.00 extra per person than the bus transfer.

There is NO advantage for this costly transfer. The scenery viewing is exactly the same as the road on this portion. For clairfication it is a 2 hour train ride.

We also have the same dilemma. We will arrive in Whittier on the Diamond Princess, rent a car in Anchorage for 10 days, return car in Anchorage and fly back to Texas.

Is it too much hassle to send husband by himself from Whittier to Anchorage using Princess transfer, get the car and drive back to Whittier to pick the rest of the family then head out to Seward? I figure it will take at least 2-3 hrs for him to do the roundtrip but we will save at least $200 since there are 5 of us.

We also have the same dilemma. We will arrive in Whittier on the Diamond Princess, rent a car in Anchorage for 10 days, return car in Anchorage and fly back to Texas.

Is it too much hassle to send husband by himself from Whittier to Anchorage using Princess transfer, get the car and drive back to Whittier to pick the rest of the family then head out to Seward? I figure it will take at least 2-3 hrs for him to do the roundtrip but we will save at least $200 since there are 5 of us.

This is a great option actually. :) I would suggest he get on the earliest airport bus possible and you stay on the ship for breakfast. :) An hour or so later, make your way off the ship and enjoy the water views perhaps?

Archived