Should we change ships?

cocacola86

We're currently booked on the Dream and my parents if they do decide to come are 65 and not good at walking and just wondering if the Dream would be to big for them and what's a better ship for walking and mobility and it would be there first cruise our 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We're currently booked on the Dream and my parents if they do decide to come are 65 and not good at walking and just wondering if the Dream would be to big for them and what's a better ship for walking and mobility and it would be there first cruise our 4th.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think a smaller ship would help that much if your parents have issues with walking. I'd stick with the Dream, but look into renting scooters for them. I have never had to rent one, but maybe someone else can add information about that to help you decide. If they are up for using a scooter, the Dream is a great choice in a ship!

It won't matter. I was on the Ecstasy, one of the smallest ships, in June and was in terrible pain from arthritis and could barely walk. I wished I had a scooter. My husband refused to let me bring a walker, which would at least have kept me from using a cane and leaning on one side. It also would have given me a place to sit if I got worn out since my walker has a seat. It seemed that I was always having to walk from one end of the ship to the other and there were several elevators not working. I think the larger ships have more areas where you can sit and rest a while and perhaps will have more working elevators. Anyway, I'm just saying that even on a small ship there is lots of walking and the older ships tend to be laid out so that you have to walk just as much and maybe can't get straight through on some decks.

My favorite Carnival ships are the Spirit class. Kind of mid-sized. But definitely get your folks wheel chair assistance for boarding. Standing in the long lines and having to walk such a long way to board can be difficult for those with mobility issues. And if possible rent them scooters or power wheel chairs.

Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys the cruise.

While you're at it, check if Dream still has a HA (handicap accessible) cabin. On embarkation and disembarkation, you can get wheelchair assistance from/to the terminal. You can have a prior request with Special Needs. I also have mobility issues and walk with a cane. Look at website for a rollator.

Anyone know if Dream is getting Guys I know my dad would love it, Baltimore would be cheaper for us to fly to but I dunno if that should be a deciding factor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the Dream 3 weeks ago and loved it. I would call Carnival and ask for the Special Needs department and ask them about switching your parents to a handicapped accessible cabin and they will also give you the numbers for companies to call and rent scooters from. Those will be in the cabin when you get on the ship. Also ask for wheelchair assist at the port and they will help you get your parents onto the boat. If possible try to get a midship room for them. It is a very long walk to the front of the boat for dining when your room is in the aft.

I was on the Dream 3 weeks ago and loved it. I would call Carnival and ask for the Special Needs department and ask them about switching your parents to a handicapped accessible cabin and they will also give you the numbers for companies to call and rent scooters from. Those will be in the cabin when you get on the ship. Also ask for wheelchair assist at the port and they will help you get your parents onto the boat. If possible try to get a midship room for them. It is a very long walk to the front of the boat for dining when your room is in the aft.

I dont think any cabin on any ship will be able to accomadate two scooters at one time-- do they?

if in the aft cabin they SHOULD have the aft dining room (unless they have anytime dining. (I find being close to the aft elevators puts me close to everything except the night shows in the lounge.)

I dont think any cabin on any ship will be able to accomadate two scooters at one time-- do they?

if in the aft cabin they SHOULD have the aft dining room (unless they have anytime dining. (I find being close to the aft elevators puts me close to everything except the night shows in the lounge.)

The dining rooms on the Dream were set up so the YTD was in the Crimson which was in the front of the ship. Scarlett dining was for those with set dining times and it was in the aft. I have seen some pics of a few of the handicapped rooms that would accommodate 2 scooters but it needs to be an accessible room and not a modified room. I will be traveling with my best friend and her daughter in April and we will be on the Magic in a handicapped accessible suite because she requires a wheelchair some of the time (seizure disorder and is weak afterwards for a day or two) and has to have someone help with giving her a shower. Accessible suite is 450 sq with 110 sq balcony. Accessible rooms also have the wider doors. Modified rooms are basically the bathrooms are larger and have no barriers at the bathroom door or shower or onto a balcony.

Hi

I agree as others have pointed out, whether the ship is large or small, there is a great amount of time that is spent either walking or standing waiting for something. That is not even including at an airport, if you need to fly. If they can't stand/walk for long and are in any distress, this won't be fun for them.

You have been on a few cruises yourself, you must realize this. Scooters would be great but as also pointed out there would be few cabin classes that would be large enough to accommodate both scooter in the cabin. I would suggest one scooter and one regular folding. You would be able to push one of them and the other would be able to use the electric vehicle. One other thing I thought you should keep in mind, is that if there is a tender port, you will not be able to go ashore with the electric scooter.

You would have to make the decision whether to rent them from home or have them delivered to the ship. Also you would have to make sure that there was an "accessible" cabin to ensure that the scooter will fit through the cabin door. It would be advisable to speak with the special needs department. If this is what you are going to be considering, I would also suggest you make your arrangements as soon as possible, because when you need a specific cabin type (accessible) your concern will be if there is one available.

hope this helps

have a great cruise