Sanctuary- star princess

Arwen

Hubby and I will be leaving for a two week Hawaii cruise on the Star. We would like to try the Sanctuary, but hubby is worried it might be too windy and cold on the sea days.

We have sailed before to Hawaii, and surprisingly it isn't that warm out on deck .

Looking for a few of you folks to "sell me" on the idea of trying it. I would also like to hear the "cons" about the sanctuary on the Star (if there are any)

Thanks!

Arwen

I've sailed to/from Hawaii several times and booked the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. It was definitely cooler the first couple of days sailing and the last couple of days. But I expected that because that's always the case when sailing out of LA. The attendants moved my lounger up against the wind break and gave me blankets. With a sweater and a pillow, I was fine. Plan to do the same next November. The rest of the time it was nice and warm.

06f971e493868096bc2fd9bec5b8eb18.jpg

We were on the Star in Feb 16 going around the tip of South America and went to the Sanctuary everyday, but not once was it even remotely suitable for relaxing outside. The weather was quite rough. As a matter of fact, maintenance spent the entire time working on the pool. We used the indoor part for some acupuncture treatments and on the last day wanted to relax instead of sightsee and the spa facilities were shut down tight. The facility itself is very nice and if the weather had been good it would have been wonderful.

Pam, do you have to wait until you get onboard to make Sanctuary reservations?
Yes. After boarding, go to the Sanctuary to book as you select a specific lounger(s) and there's no way to know which loungers are free or where you want to be unless you're there.

You'll have three choices: book for the entire cruise at $30/day/lounger; book a lounger for the whole cruise but pay only for the days you use it at $20/half-day or $40/day; or, go to the Sanctuary each day you want to book and select a lounger. I have to be very careful of the sun so I make sure my lounger is covered.

We were on the Star in Feb 16 going around the tip of South America and went to the Sanctuary everyday, but not once was it even remotely suitable for relaxing outside. The weather was quite rough.
Of course. I wouldn't consider booking the Sanctuary on a South American cruise around Cape Horn unless it was 2-3 days from either Santiago or Buenos Aires. Those few days will be warm and probably sunny. The rest of the cruise is cold, chilly and often rough. A cruise to/from LA and Hawaii is very, very different.

Yes. After boarding, go to the Sanctuary to book as you select a specific lounger(s) and there's no way to know which loungers are free or where you want to be unless you're there.

You'll have three choices: book for the entire cruise at $30/day/lounger; book a lounger for the whole cruise but pay only for the days you use it at $20/half-day or $40/day; or, go to the Sanctuary each day you want to book and select a lounger. I have to be very careful of the sun so I make sure my lounger is covered.

Thank you. Hmmm, now I have to decide what I would like to do. I've never done the Sanctuary before and with all the sea days going to Hawaii, I want to take advantage of it on this trip.

Hubby and I will be leaving for a two week Hawaii cruise on the Star. We would like to try the Sanctuary, but hubby is worried it might be too windy and cold on the sea days.

We have sailed before to Hawaii, and surprisingly it isn't that warm out on deck .

Looking for a few of you folks to "sell me" on the idea of trying it. I would also like to hear the "cons" about the sanctuary on the Star (if there are any)

Thanks!It's a waste of $$$ on our Hawaii cruise one of the attendants told us not to and they were right. Very windy and chilly on sea days.

Thanks!It's a waste of $$$ on our Hawaii cruise one of the attendants told us not to and they were right. Very windy and chilly on sea days.

Thank you for the much needed info!

And to the other posters, thank you for sharing your experiences!

I think we will pass up the Sanctuary for this cruise and itinerary. We have sailed on several different cruise lines and are now in the mood to try something like the Sanctuary, or the Haven (NCL), or whatever ship has that "special and quiet area" of the ship.

Edited by Arwen

Pam would you book the sanctuary for a Panama cruise, leaving January 4 on the Island

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pam would you book the sanctuary for a Panama cruise, leaving January 4 on the Island
You betcha. I booked it for my 19-day LA-Panama-LA cruise November/December. Only three of us booked it for the whole cruise and loved it. The attendants set us up in the cabanas when it was chilly or rainy at no extra cost. I spent almost the entire last day at sea in one of the cabanas before docking in LA and while it was chilly, I closed the curtains most of the way and snuggled under a blanket reading and watching TV. Perfectly comfortable. I love being outside on a cruise.

Thanks ,I love the idea of having great wake views and in the past I have always been drawn to the aft pool and spent most of my time there. How is the access to the pool from the sanctuary.

Sanctuary is forward on the Star. There is a small pool just outside the Sanctuary open to adults but there are no views from that pool.

Edited by Colo Cruiser