Lady's What does the ABC Store sell besides tourisum items??

Cruiseoholic000

I was wondering what the ABC store sells besides tourism stuff (razors, conditioner, Lysol 19oz cans etc. lotion). If not where should I go as I don't see many pharmacy's. Another thought I am thinking of is just buying it at Amazon and have it mailed to the hotel by Amazon.

The ABC Store has some sundries and food items along with a ton of cheap tourist schlock. Look for a Long's Drugs (a CA/HI) division of CVS for a broader selection of personal care products. Even Safeway super markets would be far better than ABC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering what the ABC store sells besides tourism stuff (razors, conditioner, Lysol 19oz cans etc. lotion). If not where should I go as I don't see many pharmacy's. Another thought I am thinking of is just buying it at Amazon and have it mailed to the hotel by Amazon.

what product are you thinking about? You might want to ask those who live in Hawaii how is shipping by Amazon (usually number of days and any extra cost) to Hawaii as any shipping would have to be via air (including USPS). Is it something you don't want to put in your suitcase?

You may want to also look at the store locators for Longs drug stores as there seems to be quite a few (you didn't say where your hotel will be, but if you're talking about Honolulu, there should be plenty of drug stores in that city. I seem to remember stopping at a Longs and Safeway (next door to each other) in Honolulu, on our first cruise to Hawaii.

I'm not a lady but living part time in Maui have shopped a lot in Hawaii and I agree about Long's being a much better option than an ABC Store. Markets or stores such as Target or Walmart have plenty of options.

Amazon shipping is very unpredictable to Hawaii where free Amazon Prime 2-day shipping is not an option. We patiently wait because faster shipping options are expensive & may not be much faster. They generally say 7-10 days but sometimes it's sooner...but it's mostly later.

We frequently order from Amazon for our Maui house however when it's delivered is unpredictable. The upside when living in Hawaii is that selection & inventory is more predictable than finding some items at a retail store. And since most packages are shipped by air, not everything can be shipped that way & instead it comes on a slow boat across the sea. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, there is no Longs/CVS where I will be staying (Diamond Head end of Waikiki). Safeway is too far North on foot. Maybe I should try the Amazon Prime and order it a week before I am set to arrive. For such a popular area I am surprised there are not more pharmacies.

I have limited time and don't want to be trekking all over Waikiki looking for a few personal items.

Foodland is a good local Hawaii grocery store chain. Foodland stores have "sundries" departments. (Safeway is a mainland chain, with fewer stores.) There are several Foodland stores in the Honolulu area, with one just off the H1 near Waikiki. Foodland Farms in the Ala Moana shopping center (Waikiki area) is pretty much a full service grocery store.

If you're visiting Kauai, another good local chain grocery is Big Save. Both Big Save and Foodland have better prices than Safeway, also better and fresher local food items.

Another choice is Longs Drugs. It seems everyone shops at Longs Drugs. They have sundries, food, tourist items, and pretty much everything else. There are several in the Waikiki area and one at the Kahala Mall near Diamond Head.

We spend a lot of time on Kauai and have lived on Oahu, so hope this info helps.

I have purchased razors at ABC stores before. They do have a limited, and overprices of course, selection of personal care items. Why are you unable to bring them with you, besides the large lysol which I'm not sure is even necessary (and there are travel size lysol cans)

Prime shipping is unreliable, to be honest. Some times you order something and it arrives in 3 days, others it takes 10 days. You never know until it ships out and they take longer to get items out of the warehouse even than if shipping on the mainland. I've had orders where a part of the order arrived before they even got the other part of the order out of the warehouse. Some things you would want to have wouldn't necessarily ship to Hawaii either- like the lysol they only ship within the lower 48.

You can look into taking the bus or an Uber to one of the previously mentioned stores if the ABC store doesn't stock what you are looking for.

~Katy

I have purchased razors at ABC stores before. They do have a limited, and overprices of course, selection of personal care items. Why are you unable to bring them with you, besides the large lysol which I'm not sure is even necessary (and there are travel size lysol cans)

Prime shipping is unreliable, to be honest. Some times you order something and it arrives in 3 days, others it takes 10 days. You never know until it ships out and they take longer to get items out of the warehouse even than if shipping on the mainland. I've had orders where a part of the order arrived before they even got the other part of the order out of the warehouse. Some things you would want to have wouldn't necessarily ship to Hawaii either- like the lysol they only ship within the lower 48.

You can look into taking the bus or an Uber to one of the previously mentioned stores if the ABC store doesn't stock what you are looking for.

~Katy

I had asked this question too. I'm a bit of a compulsive planner before I travel and always refer to a checklist of what to pack so I won't have to be trying to track down something in an unfamiliar town. We did some road trips between Aug 2015 and last May (our daughter went away for her first year of college so would pick her up during two week-long breaks and met her halfway to pick her up for her longer winter break). We did plan out some packable food (my hubby insisted on bringing a large cooler so he can stick with his diet) but would stock up on food for the trips back south.

But usually only needed a few emergency type of purchases like bedbug spray after an attack in a hotel. We did stop at a Kmart and got help from a worker to help us find that aisle....else, we try to avoid these shopping trips in towns we're unfamiliar with.

Given that the OP will be in a location that is not easily shipped to on a predictable schedule....my advice would be to try to do your shopping before you leave for travel sized items (or sample sizes or recant to small travel containers) that you can pack in your suitcase so you won't be bothering the front desk every day for your box from Amazon.

I live on the Big Island and use Amazon regularly for many personal and household items. I have Amazon Prime and until recently, it was very reliable and fast. Not quite 2-day shipping, but things arrived usually within a week or so. Living in Hawaii, you learn that you have to wait for things to arrive in the mail or show up in stores, so it it not a big deal. Recently, Amazon has been less predictable for some reason.

I have also found that certain items are prohibited from being shipped to Hawaii. I have had trouble with some items that are in aerosol containers. Mascara is another item that was prohibited!! I cannot understand the reasoning on that one. Amazon will tell you at check-out whether there will be a problem shipping a particular item to Hawaii.

Now that we have a Target here in Hilo, I buy almost all of my household and personal items there, as well as about 90% of my grocery items. They beat everyone price wise and have a huge selection.

I was in two separate stores the first week of December (2016) and I purchased nail polish, polish remover, intensive care lotion and some air freshener. Saw some of every kind of personal hygiene product, not a large selection, but I'm pretty certain you could find the basics.