Weird QM2 question: what is deck 3L?

sppunk

We aren't sailing on QM2 until May 2018 but was killing time today daydreaming and looking at deck plans.

I'm confused by what it means by "3 & 3L" and then "2 and 3L."

Is there a step down when walking on deck 3 as you approach Brittania or something?

Deck 3L is basically used to refer to corridors that tunnel through the Britannia Restaurant and the Royal Court Theatre to get to the Queen's Room or Illuminations, respectively.

Realize that the grand public decks on 2 & 3 are extra high. Also, that the ship needs lots of indoor space for crossings. So, they stacked the Queens Room (ballroom dancing and afternoon tea) and the lecture hall/planetarium/movie theatre behind the MDR and showroom.

Rather than narrow the entire rooms, Stephen Payne created corridors that run beneath the top tier in Britannia and the upper balcony in the showroom. An ingenious solution, but I've heard stories from passengers who only discovered them after a day or two aboard.

In the remastering, one of the passages which had previously housed the photo gallery was turned into a group of single cabins without signage which would direct you there.

Refer to deck plans found here: https://www.cunard.com/Documents/2017-18-deck-plans/QM2-deck-plans-2017-18.pdf

Interestingly, Deck 3L appears in the deck plan for both Deck 3 and Deck 2. Post re-fit, note the changes. -S.

As was the case beforehand, I believe. (Except post-refit, the port aft corridor with singles is unnamed)

Although I don't think I've seen those passages identified as "3L" on anything but the deck plan.

Edited by MarkBearSF

As was the case beforehand. (Except post-refit, the port aft corridor with singles is unnamed)

?Beforehand? Pre-refit there were no single cabins there.

Numbers, they have numbers - those single cabins on Deck 2 and Deck 3 [L], lovely single cabins carrying a premium rate.

Cheers & best wishes for the new year -S.

?Beforehand? Pre-refit there were no single cabins there.

Cheers & best wishes for the new year -S.

Cheers as well, Salacia! I hope you're not freezing from the polar vortex over the past week or so.

So sorry for the confusion. I was merely mentioning that those 3L corridors have been part of the deck plans since the start, with the only difference being that the previous photo gallery on 3L had been converted to a row of singles and that that area was no longer noted as being on the 3L half-deck.

And yes, I've noticed that those (expensive) singles are simply listed as on deck 2 or 3. I suspect the "3L" notation exists mainly on deck plans to indicate the half-deck positioning of the areas.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Deck 3L and 2L are very useful to get from one part of the ship to another. The intention of Decks 3L and 2L are to bypass the main public rooms so that one doesn't have to walk through them all on their way to say, the dining room.

Onboard, are these passageways obvious are "hidden"? I.E. is a hallway 3L even though you're on 3 and might not realize it's a midlevel passageway?

Clarendon Fine Art occupies one of the corridors on 3L. We used it as a way through several times. It has large windows with wide window seats where you can pretend to be in the washing machine!

I found the little art gallery quite interesting.

Aside from the new single cabin corridor, which I've heard has an unmarked door for access, nothing about them is hidden.

There's simply a short flight of stairs on decks 2 & 3, (with small elevator for universal access) off B & C elevator lobbies to the corridors as noted on the deck plan.

At the entrances to the Royal Court Theater, Dining Room, and Queens Room there are stairways on either side of the ship that go up or down to decks 2L and 3L. A stairway to the L deck will be obvious. They use space just below the floor to create a passageway around the Theater and Dining room so people can get around these areas while letting the venues extend all the way to the sides of the ship and permitting especially dining room windows. I think the outer sections of the upper dining room level are elevated a bit while the outer sections of the lower level have a lower ceiling with the extra space used for the passageway.

Roy

At the entrances to the Royal Court Theater, Dining Room, and Queens Room there are stairways on either side of the ship that go up or down to decks 2L and 3L. A stairway to the L deck will be obvious. They use space just below the floor to create a passageway around the Theater and Dining room so people can get around these areas while letting the venues extend all the way to the sides of the ship and permitting especially dining room windows. I think the outer sections of the upper dining room level are elevated a bit while the outer sections of the lower level have a lower ceiling with the extra space used for the passageway.

Roy

As always, Roy, your description nails my inquiry perfectly and now I understand the deckplan. Thanks sir, hope you had a great Christmas!

Now only 17 months until the actual crossing ......

Onboard, are these passageways obvious are "hidden"? I.E. is a hallway 3L even though you're on 3 and might not realize it's a midlevel passageway?

I know that your question was already answered, but I wanted to submit two photos I took on my crossing of the deck in question. The photo is a photo I took of Deck 3L while I was on Deck 3L and is looking toward the staircase and the auditorium to get up to deck 3. The staircase he was referring to is down the hall, to the right and around the corner. Go up the staircase to get to the auditorium, go down to access the deck 3L where I took the photo.

1966772724_100_0974copy.jpg.6760ceff40770c6556a92c2ee19ade18.jpg

83194685_100_1218copy.jpg.f90bf0d6e2312f399b477c35dd760827.jpg

Edited by Loveboat1995

Just for fun..:).

The Britannia Dining Room (a/k/a MDR), has four levels.

On what decks are these four levels located?

Cheers & best wishes for the New Year,

Salacia

The entrances are on 2 & 3 - correct?

Cheers! Smooth seas, safe travels, and happy times to all over the coming year (hoping!!!)

The entrances are on 2 & 3 - correct?

Cheers! Smooth seas, safe travels, and happy times to all over the coming year (hoping!!!)

Right, we enter on Deck 2 for the main level dining room, and we enter on Deck 3 for the upper level...and then walk up a short flight of stairs for the next level (what deck shall we call that?) and then another short flight of stairs for the next level...and that is Deck ? :)

Mark, I join you in hoping for the best in the New Year. Oy.