Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Harryfat1. Do you post cheapo port reviews? We are going to Grand Caymon and Cozumel in a few weeks and would love a review from you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will report on what we did at each of the ports if that is what you are asking about. Everyone has different interests when it comes to excursions. What we did likely will not be what you like to do.

You are better off going to the ports section of CC to see what those other people did. Or you can check out Fletch1027’s trip reports (see post #346) and the links under his name. He has port report there also.

If you read his trip reports, you will see that I stole some photo ideas from him after reading his trip report and pretend I invented these camera shots, but shhhh, don’t tell him that. It’ll be our little secret…

OK, onward and forward with the trip report to wrap up day 1. Where did I leave off? (Scrolls back to find the page..)

Oh, having a husband and wife CPAs means we have very boring dinner conversations. So as my wife was lamenting over the menu every night on not seeing anything “wow”, we started the conversation on how much cost they would actually saved versus if they just increased everyone’s fees by say $7 per day to cover the raw materials of better MDR food.

The issue with MDR as I see it is the higher cost food food like half side of duck or lamb chops or even your average prime ribs are gone. Substituted with lower cost meat like chicken and turkey. In theory, it is still meat and you will be full as you walk out but for us in going to MDR on a cruise is supposed to be try something you don’t have at home. Or as my younger son puts it out – MDR is where poor people go to feel like they are rich. That statement made me laugh.

But if you think about it, there’s some truth in it. If you want a basic dining experience without frills, you just have dinner upstairs at WJ. If you want the better dining experience, you pay the $$ and go to specialty dining. As I am not a professional reviewer, I don’t know any given night what % of people goes to which venue. Meaning for example if 20% are at WJ and 60% at MDR and 20% at Specialty or whatever the % breakdown might be.

But the 1 night we were at WJ for dinner (came back from tour very late), WJ was packed. Perhaps with many people opting for either end of the spectrum of WJ and Specialty Dining, on our 8 PM MDR has been the most empty we have seen on all our previous cruises, especially on the side by deck 4 at the 8 PM seating. Which given the fact the ship is at 117% of double capacity, it says something.

For those that didn't always eat at MDR - how crowded were your venues at say WJ or specialty dining? We only ate at WJ 1 night and the place was packed, but they only open 1 side.

Maybe the cut back in the menu is pushing people to the either ends. As we just had a Presidential election in the US, I could try and make a political reference of the disappearing middle class as the MDR and so on, but what’s the point to start that argument? Just know that the choice of “wow” food are not what they used to be and make your decision either still stick with MDR and settled for less good food or go WJ or Specialty.

31893455462_8c4fba5d67_b.jpg

31923952061_ee3a124a25_b.jpg

31234610653_803145b240_b.jpg

Here is the info for table 467

31896536642_560daa62e5_b.jpg

As with all the cruise lines out there, RCI has the ‘free liquor” sampling at the stores on day 1. Every cruise line we sailed on does this to get people into the shops on day 1. Nothing attracts people more to shopping than free booze, I guess.

31234634903_11459ccf0f_b.jpg

On day 1, there’s only 1 show for all seating, the welcome show with the comedian. He’s pretty funny with the family show (just remember Elmo loves you – insider joke if you watched the show). The adult show –which we didn’t go as we have teenagers, is later the next day.

31927012261_18542b60ce_b.jpg

31669757730_ca66697d91_b.jpg

31926786901_2aa5e1e62a_b.jpg

After the show, we just walked around RP for a while visiting the stores to see what’s in each store. Got something got drink at the Café and called it a night (and you folks thought day 1 trip report would never end)

31926853301_116afd98b7_b.jpg

Nice big model ship of the Freedom

32005586476_bc14801e62_b.jpg

31234569233_1284998bae_b.jpg

Sneaking this picture in here. Don't know if it's duplicate. I like these stacked decks where you see action of one deck on top of another deck.

Another cruiser from my previous report commented that he/she liked it also.

31203798924_99ed6d4f39_b.jpg

First night sleeping on the ship is always a happy time. After months of planning, you finally made it to your vacation.

Day 2 – Sea Day

Woke up around 8:30. Took couple pictures of RP from the cabin. Looks so much nicer without all the kiosk trying to sell stuff and much easier to walk across the ship without it, but guess RCI want to make more $$ but it makes walking around it hard at night, especially on the super full sailing like ours on top of the Christmas tree at the end blocking off some traffic flow.

Our cabin is located right above the RP car. If you stand by the front of the car and look up, that’s our cabin area. We like the centrally location to either banks of elevators. Good for motion sensitive people that gets seas sick easily and tosses cookies.

The tint of the window in the cabin/lighting makes the pictures look washed out but you have decent view of things. Deck 7 give you more privacy than 6 but deck 6 you can see the people on deck 5 easily but then the reverse is true - they can see you as well.

Some cruisers have reported that they close their blinds all the time for privacy issue. That to me defeats the purpose of a PR room. We always leave our curtains open unless we are taking showers or going to sleep. We like to look out to people watch.

31718843950_7b9ee23ba7_b.jpg

31283587273_20ffacca1c_b.jpg

31718837370_42d77b018d_b.jpg

Here's the room itself. I like the double sofas.

31945360352_e000bd259e_b.jpg

31976006611_d4b5ec4ffb_b.jpg

Edited by harryfat1

Question – how many RCI workers does it take to fix the stair case?

Answer - Don’t know, but at least 6 people as they seem to have a big group bonding thing going on.

31283522643_ccb9af7b53_b.jpg

More pics of the bridge

31252817824_1b196ceea1_b.jpg

31976093051_4350513384_b.jpg

Trying to find our cabins from below

32094026225_a2cd0e9d9f_b.jpg

Good to walk around RP early in the morning without people so you can take pictures without them photobombing you

32094013525_3f5d31aebc_b.jpg

I hardly ever see anyone in here. Time for them to do something else with this space

31976069371_729e6b317c_b.jpg

After walking around RP for few minutes, we headed up to WJ for breakfast. Just the 4 of us. The in-laws are the early risers so they do their own thing until we meet up with them later in the morning.

Not too crowded before 9 AM

31976047691_ffd72cefcf_b.jpg

32055030316_e9cb700ef4_b.jpg

As reported elsewhere, another cost cutting measure is lack of salmon at WJ on a regular basis. You will need to ask the workers behind the salad area and give them your plate and they will plop few on there. Again, another one of secret CC info that if you are a newbie cruiser and never read these boards, you will have no clue to ask for them. Things shouldn’t be this way – everyone should have equal access to all the food and info if there’s not extra charges involved.

31283499603_8c97b62899_b.jpg

31252742844_602fd51db2_b.jpg

31252737944_52cb8ff3f3_b.jpg

Harry, speaking of the secret menu, on our recent cruse we became regulars in the Windjammer, one night a crew member ask how everything was going and I said "good but what happen to the chicken wings?", five minutes I had a plate of tasty chicken wings!

James,

P.S. As for the late night posts, I'm a retired CPA that has turned into a night owl.

We LOVED the promenade rooms on Freedom! We turned the window sofa around to face out and our daughter (who was 3 1/2 at the time) insisted on sleeping there. :)

Some people complained about the noise, but we didn't notice it at all.

As always, loving your reviews and the amazing pictures of our favorite ship.

Dude,

The title of excel says it's Allure. I just dragged it out for other people to use from my previous cruise.

Technically it's the one item that "doesn't belong"...[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yep, you got me! However, if you look at post #303 a couple pages back, you will see that I did find another photo that doesn't belong - so we're even! :D

Hmmm....

I just contacted RCLDining with the email address Harry provided and they told me since i'm on "My Time Dining" I can't reserve a specific location for our table, I can only do it once onboard, with the hostess.

Harry, were you able to do it because you are "elite" or something? Is that it?

Edited by ASBJumper

Hmmm....

I just contacted RCLDining with the email address Harry provided and they told me since i'm on "My Time Dining" I can't reserve a specific location for our table, I can only do it once onboard, with the hostess.

You can only reserve a specific location if you have Traditional 5:30 or 8:00pm dining. We had the same issue. We changed to 5:30 dining and were able to get a table assigned to us.

With MTD you can prepick your dining times for each day on the Cruise Planner from the RCI website but you cannot have a table pre-assigned.

-Sean

Hmmm....

Heck, no, I'm not elite level or anything.

We have regular set dining at the late seating so they can reserve a table for us ahead of time. Guess they won't do it for you ahead of time if you are my time dining. Just make your way to MDR when you first board to take care of that ASAP.

Just make your way to MDR when you first board to take care of that ASAP.

If you have MTD, you can't reserve a table, period. The host will assign a table at the time of your reservation. Now, if you have reservations at the same time each night, you may end up sitting at the same table for the whole cruise, but that is not a given.

If you have MTD, you can't reserve a table, period. The host will assign a table at the time of your reservation. Now, if you have reservations at the same time each night, you may end up sitting at the same table for the whole cruise, but that is not a given.

Um, wow... so what on earth is the advantage of "My Time Dining", considering when I went to pick times my ONLY options were 5:45 or 8:30????

I feel like we've been screwed somehow...... :(

Um, wow... so what on earth is the advantage of "My Time Dining", considering when I went to pick times my ONLY options were 5:45 or 8:30????

There are only a limited number (very limited) of time slots available through Cruise Planner. Once you get on the ship you can change your times.

The advantage is ....

If you go to San Juan and the ship leaves at 8:30pm you can have dinner then. If you have a sea day and want to do dinner early then you can eat at 5:30.

With traditional this is not an option.

If a time slot is filled up you can get on a waitlist with MTD and should never have to wait but if you do then no more than 10-15 minutes at the busiest times.

-Sean

There are only a limited number (very limited) of time slots available through Cruise Planner. Once you get on the ship you can change your times.

The advantage is ....

If you go to San Juan and the ship leaves at 8:30pm you can have dinner then. If you have a sea day and want to do dinner early then you can eat at 5:30.

With traditional this is not an option.

If a time slot is filled up you can get on a waitlist with MTD and should never have to wait but if you do then no more than 10-15 minutes at the busiest times.

-Sean

Ahhhhh, ok, I see. Makes sense then - I will leave hubs in charge of DD at the WJ on Day 1 then and immediately scoot off to the MDR to talk to the host/hostess. :D

Thank you!

Your cruise must be coming up soon. Those always seem like the last times to fill up.

Typically the window for reserving MTD opens between 2-4 months before the cruise date. Unfortunately it varies cruise to cruise so people need to check a couple of times a week, or check your roll call board on CC because someone usually posts when they see the online cruise planner start to populate with stuff.

For our cruise coming up mid-February on Freedom, I reserved our MTD times on Dec. 9th. We did most of ours for around 5:45, and a few at 6:30 and one at 8:00 because the Puerto Rico stop is 1-9pm. So in that case (2 months out), there were some unavailable times but all of the days had at least 1-2 options each hour (7,8,9)...

Your cruise must be coming up soon. Those always seem like the last times to fill up.

Typically the window for reserving MTD opens between 2-4 months before the cruise date. Unfortunately it varies cruise to cruise so people need to check a couple of times a week, or check your roll call board on CC because someone usually posts when they see the online cruise planner start to populate with stuff.

For our cruise coming up mid-February on Freedom, I reserved our MTD times on Dec. 9th. We did most of ours for around 5:45, and a few at 6:30 and one at 8:00 because the Puerto Rico stop is 1-9pm. So in that case (2 months out), there were some unavailable times but all of the days had at least 1-2 options each hour (7,8,9)...

We're cruising on the Freedom on Feb 12th, and I reserved late November I believe - and for every single night, there were only 5:45 or 8:30 available. It was very annoying. 8:30 is my DD's bedtime, so no dice. 5:45 is earlier than we usually eat, but i figure we will be waiting for food for at least 10-15 min and her eating at 6 pm won't be too big of a deal (we usually eat around 6:45-7pm).

If we can adjust the times (even a little bit) once on board, i'm ok with that.

Edited by ASBJumper

Um, wow... so what on earth is the advantage of "My Time Dining", considering when I went to pick times my ONLY options were 5:45 or 8:30??

If you go into your cruise planner when reservation first open (typically 90+ days out) you will have many more choices (though typically 6:30-7:30 won't be available - that time range only available on the ship). As was mentioned, don't worry, many more reservations of time (not table) are available on the ship. If you don't want to worry about reservations, ask whoever booked your cruise to switch (or get on standby list) you to traditional (early or late) - and then you can reserve a table as well.:D

If you go into your cruise planner when reservation first open (typically 90+ days out) you will have many more choices (though typically 6:30-7:30 won't be available - that time range only available on the ship). As was mentioned, don't worry, many more reservations of time (not table) are available on the ship. If you don't want to worry about reservations, ask whoever booked your cruise to switch (or get on standby list) you to traditional (early or late) - and then you can reserve a table as well.:D

I will disagree. I booked our trip on Allure for spring break (4/16) on December 11th. After paying our deposit, I went into the cruise planner and reserved our dinners for either 6:30 or 6:45 each night of the cruise. So it definitely depends on the cruise and how many people book up certain times before they shut those times out.

Definitely go see the Maitre D'/hostess when you board and see if they can accommodate you at a different time. Often they will tell you they can't reserve, but you can certainly go at whatever time you want and wait for a table. Some times, it will be a short wait, others will be longer.

Harry, enjoying your continued report. Especially liking your pictures. As I sit here at my desk, I look up and what do I see? The picture of me, mom, both boys and my older son's GF and best friends, who joined us on Freedom in August 2015 (just before they started their senior year in HS), standing on the bridge on formal night.

I love that picture. It always makes me smile to see it and I love seeing that spot in other reports.