NCL Pearl questions

melinda0222

We are a group of 12 ages 27-65 sailing on the Sept 3 Alaska cruise. I have a few questions about the Alaska cruise specifically that I am hoping people can answer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. There are several of us that will be leaving behind our young kids for this trip. So talking with them nightly is very important. We have ATT cell coverage. If I am reading their map correctly, as long as we are in Alaska or US waters there is no charge for using our phone like we would normally use it? Does anyone know how well the coverage is at the ports as well as at sea. When we enter Canada we would then be paying international costs, so I was thinking this would be the day would buy wifi to be able to facetime or skype home. Does anyone know how good the wifi is? Is there enough band width for video calling home?

2. 1 of our group will not have a passport but will have birth certificate. Does this mean he can not get off in Victoria Canada? What about if we decide to do the train ride in Skagway. I see that it enters Canada and then reenters US. Does that mean a passport is required for the train ride or is birth certificate ok?

3. Our cabin number is 9542 which is a forward balcony. Does anyone know if one side of the ship is better than the other for scenic viewing?

4. I know I want the spa package that comes with the pool. I love finding the quiet areas on ships to relax. I can't find the price for our 7 day cruise. I have seen the price for 5 and 10 day but can't seem to find 7 day.

Thanks for any help. Excited to see what happens with the dry dock.

We are a group of 12 ages 27-65 sailing on the Sept 3 Alaska cruise. I have a few questions about the Alaska cruise specifically that I am hoping people can answer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. There are several of us that will be leaving behind our young kids for this trip. So talking with them nightly is very important. We have ATT cell coverage. If I am reading their map correctly, as long as we are in Alaska or US waters there is no charge for using our phone like we would normally use it? Does anyone know how well the coverage is at the ports as well as at sea. When we enter Canada we would then be paying international costs, so I was thinking this would be the day would buy wifi to be able to facetime or skype home. Does anyone know how good the wifi is? Is there enough band width for video calling home?

1. We have ATT and did not have any issue with cell service in the ports this past summer. At sea it would depend on how close you were to a land and a cell tower. I would try and make those calls while in port to be safe. As for the bandwidth IMO it would not have been enough for Skype/FaceTime. It was tough enough at times getting on Facebook. Though NCL is supposedly upgrading the internet but I have not been on CC enough lately to see what progress they have made. In Victoria you might be able to find a hotspot to FaceTime/Skype

2. 1 of our group will not have a passport but will have birth certificate. Does this mean he can not get off in Victoria Canada? What about if we decide to do the train ride in Skagway. I see that it enters Canada and then reenters US. Does that mean a passport is required for the train ride or is birth certificate ok?

2. If you are doing the trip that turns in Frasier and goes back by train it is my impression that you don't need a passport, other trips do. You can always contact the railroad to be safe. This far out there is plenty of time for that person to get a passport if they are so inclined, and IMO they should get it just to be safe all around. It's easier to travel with a passport when dealing with a stop in a foreign country in case something happens.

3. Our cabin number is 9542 which is a forward balcony. Does anyone know if one side of the ship is better than the other for scenic viewing?

3. IMO both sides would be equal. We were on the same side as you on Deck 11 and had no issues with the scenery. In Glacier Bay they will turn the ship numerous times so both sides get views.

4. I know I want the spa package that comes with the pool. I love finding the quiet areas on ships to relax. I can't find the price for our 7 day cruise. I have seen the price for 5 and 10 day but can't seem to find 7 day.

4. I don't have the answer but I am sure someone else will

Thanks for any help. Excited to see what happens with the dry dock.

I have a trip report of our trip on the Pearl from this past summer if you want to check it out the link is located in my signature.

Edited by jimsig

Regarding #2: Read and UNDERSTAND the travel document requirements:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Personally, I don't cross any border without a passport at hand. But a passport is not required to visit Victoria via cruise ship.

As mentioned above, the different trips on the railroad have different requirements. Info from the WPYR:

No passport required:

http://wpyr.com/product/ticket/summit-excursion/

Passport required:

http://wpyr.com/excursions/train-motorcoach-excursions/skagway-whitehorse-trainbus-connection-via-fraser/

I have sailed the Pearl in Alaska. You aren't likely to have any cell service when not in port. The ship does have the fee based cellular at sea program.

The ONLY train your nonpassport person can take is the ROUND trip train. Any of the combo trips will NOT be allowed. However I would never suggest- everyone compromise and only go on this tour. Split up and choose the tour of interest. There are several options that are simply excellent.

IF you aren't going to leave your cabin during Glacier Bay, then a port side cabin will line up with the commentary. I don't go with the "turn the ship". Staying in your cabin, is eliminating 50% of the views. Determine- if that is what you want to do?