Gouda Cheese

katiel53

Hi:

Katiel53, you can buy the cheese on the supermarket. When you go to the shopping center, just cross it and in the next street you can find it. It has a chinese name. But I live in Puerto Rico and I always buy cheese when I go to Aruba.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tad of a repeat to what lilrod said, but anyway....

Our tour bus driver explained that Chinese folks are prominent in the Aruba supermarket market. He pointed out supermarket row as we began our island tour, then I went back to shop!

There is a transit bus terminal very near the pier, and it's on this map: http://www.caribline.com/islands/ar/ormap.shtml.

The bus was fast and clean, and they took US$, and it was only a few minutes to the supermarkets, they're on the right side heading away from downtown, you can't miss them. They are on LG Smith Blvd heading left on that map. I was stunned STUNNED by the array of cheese!

Is there any place near the cruise ship docks to buy a wheel of Gouda Cheese? If so, do you know how much it costs? Several years ago I bought a wheel in Curaco and brought it home. It was wonderful. Thanks.

Katie

Lucky you weren't stopped at the border upon your return. Meats and cheeses from other countries are not allowed to be brought into the US!

Katiel at this moment the price of the cheese is $17.00 US. I am going this week on a cruise and visit Aruba. I just asked somebody that went 2 weeks ago and she told me the price. At this moment, I think that it is very cheap at this price.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on the size of the wheel that is very cheap instead. A good sized hunk of real Gouda can cost about $7 US which would be about 1/20th of what the entire wheel is.

It would pay to ensure that you won't have any issues bringing it home.

YOU CAN TAKE CHEESE FROM ARUBA TO THE US. I DO THINK IT HAS TO BE SEALED ( IN THE WAX) . ONE YEAR I WAS STOPPED BY CUSTOMS SINCE I HAD A COOLER. THE AGENT DID CHECK THE CHEESE BUT HE WAS LOOKING FOR OPEN PKGS I THINK. REMEMBER NO PLANTS OR FRUIT. ENJOY ARUBA.:cool:

Sorry I never saw all the replies. With the changes made by CruiseCritic, I don't get notification on posts as I did previously. I did buy cheese when in Aruba. Coming off the ship, there is a little mall and in the "general store" they had wheels of cheese for $18.00. I had no trouble bringing it home. It is in the wax and it's great. Thanks for all the replies.

Katie

• 2 weeks later...

Katie: Thanks for the advise> I presume you purchased the cheese downtown not @ the local supermarket ? If anyone is interested the supermarket has the largest selection of cheese I have ever seen. Take the bus tell the driver you want to goto the market, also lots of venders outside the market. :cool:

Brooke,

I just kept it in our cabin. It didn't need to be refrigerated until I cut into it. The wax protects it. Now that it was cut open, it 's in my refrig. I think it weighed about 5 lbs or maybe even more. It was quite heavy.

Archived