Excursion help in Cozumel

dmc6469

We leave in 2 weeks and I already have an excursion booked. I always wanted to go to Chichen Itza (bucket list) but it wasn't listed when I booked so I thought it wasn't offered so we booked Tulum Mayan Ruins. Well, yesterday, Chichen Itza is offered!! What?? It wasn't there 2 months ago. Soooo, for those that have been to either one or both...which do you recommend? I still have time to cancel Tulum and book CI and my friend is easy and will always say "whatever you want is fine" so what ya think? CI is $30 more but not an issue. Is it worth it? One better than the other? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Chichen Itza was a bucket list item for us as well so we did the excursion on our Sept 2015 cruise. It was very cool to see but be prepared for a loooooong day. You'll be the first group off the ship and the last group back on the ship and the bus ride is about 2-2.5 hours each way in addition to the 45 min ferry ride to and from the mainland.

We're glad we went but our biggest complaint is that we didn't have a whole lot of time at the site. We were able to see the highlights, which were amazing, but traveling there and back takes up most of the day.

Chichen Itza was a bucket list item for me as well but it was rather disappointing. I don't really think it was worth the effort. It was very crowded and you don't really get much time to see the entire site.... And there are so many little booths throughout the entire area selling the same generic crap that it really takes away from any sort of historical significance. It's rather tacky.

I've not done Tulum yet (going in May) but I've done Coba (offered from Cozumel) and I found it much nicer than Chi, and at Coba you can still climb up the pyramid! (Did it in the rain)

25087689836_7b1b0dfa66.jpg

2016-02-18_03-18-29 by CanobieFan

But hey, if you know some basic Photoshop skills you can make it seem like you had the place to yourself!

Thank you for all your replies. We are going to do CI after all since it is a bucket list item and not sure when we will ever go back to Mexico. I liked Coba but my friend has a bad knee and would never climb it so that was out of the question for her.

We leave in 2 weeks and I already have an excursion booked. I always wanted to go to Chichen Itza (bucket list) but it wasn't listed when I booked so I thought it wasn't offered so we booked Tulum Mayan Ruins. Well, yesterday, Chichen Itza is offered!! What?? It wasn't there 2 months ago. Soooo, for those that have been to either one or both...which do you recommend? I still have time to cancel Tulum and book CI and my friend is easy and will always say "whatever you want is fine" so what ya think? CI is $30 more but not an issue. Is it worth it? One better than the other? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Never been to CI, but we've been to Tulum twice and it is an awesome trip! There are a lot of ruins to see and the view from the cliff over the sea is breathtaking! On a related note, that view also provides much needed sea breeze! :D

I would love to see CI someday, but not on a cruise excursion. The 5 hours on the bus + 90 minutes on the ferry isn't worth the 90 minutes at CI.

If I do see it, it will be if we are ever staying in Mexico so we can dedicate a whole day to it. Also, I have heard with some private tour companies, you can get there before it opens, make an extra "donation" to the people at CI and get in and explore with no crowds around...