Alaska Pre-cruise Question

Beaferd

My husband and I are doing a pre-cruise from Anchorage for the first time which we booked through Royal Caribbean. My question is if it's possible to make alterations to the land portion. We would like to ride the train from Gridwood to Seward rather than taking the motor coach. I understand we would have to buy the tickets ourselves. Just didn't know if anyone had made a change like that.

I'll assume this would be the day you are boarding the ship? Simply- book the train yourself, verify a shuttle is available, (staying at Alyeska?) and say good bye.

There is NO point in involving any agent or RCI. Do yourself a favor and just book it yourself- simple process. You don't need to involve anyone else.

> You don't need to involve anyone else

I am not sure that is correct. If RCI is expecting a certain number of people to board the coach and come up short, they could waste everyone's time waiting for the missing group and/or cancel the rest of the cruise for the missing people.

I would call and have them make a note that I would be getting from Gridwood to Seward on my own and make sure they add that note to my record. But then I would rather be safe than sorry. No need to supply details.

Edited by mamasylvia

> You don't need to involve anyone else

I am not sure that is correct. If RCI is expecting a certain number of people to board the coach and come up short, they could waste everyone's time waiting for the missing group and/or cancel the rest of the cruise for the missing people.

I would call and have them make a note that I would be getting from Gridwood to Seward on my own and make sure they add that note to my record. But then I would rather be safe than sorry. No need to supply details.

Of course- they would notify their tour guide WHEN they are there. Why bother "calling" ahead. What will that accomplish, trying to explain that to someone in Florida who hasn't even been there? They aren't going to magically have 2 people waiting for bus seats in Girdwood. Simplest is to just book the train direct themselves, then tell the guide you are leaving the tour early.

As I already mentioned- direct- they need to verify with Alyeska, the train station shuttle times, and reserve ahead if necessary.