Verizon Cell on Pride

pratzert

Hi. I was under the impression that I could buy the $10/day "TravelPass" from Verizon and use my normal data/minutes/text package while on the cruise.

I just spoke to a Verizon Rep who said that only applies while I am ashore in the various countries. He suggested I get the "Pay as you go" package.

I thought the Pride had a Verizon tower on board that I would be using, even while at sea?

It's pretty confusing.... I don't know what type of cell phone package will work and which one is best for me ?

Anyone with some recent first hand knowledge on the Verizon plans and the Pride?

Thanks @

No Verizon tower on the ship. Ships use satellites for transmissions. You'll need to purchase one of the Carnival packages and download a copy of their Hub App before you board. Search. There are several recent posts on the various packages and the Hub App.

If you are planning on using your cell at sea to make calls, it could be expensive. Just texting and using SnapChat , FB or Instagram, you're better off waiting until you are in port and finding free wifi. Your Verizon PAYGO plan would work for port calling too, unless you decide you want to gabfest for the entire time you're in port.

Buy the $5 a day Social Wifi plan on the boat. It's cheaper if you buy it for the whole cruise, but I bought it only on Sea days. Worked great and I used Facebook Messenger to video chat home.

Do not think about turning Airplane Mode off on a Cruise Ship :)

Yes, I think that is what we will end up doing.

Seems to be the cheapest thing to do in order to communicate with the kids back home.

Thanks.