Proposal on Carnival ship?

Indytraveler83

OK, so I'm a little nervous just thinking about this, but here goes a bit of background:

My boyfriend and I (also a dude) will be celebrating Valentines day, as well as 3 years of dating on board the Carnival Dream in February, and our parents will be on the ship as well. This is our 3rd cruise together, in what has become an annual tradition so far. I'm trying to think of a good way to propose that would be memorable, but not exceptionally over the top either.

A few ideas I have so far:

1) Simply going to the very front of the ship during sunset and popping the question. (pro: very simple and easy. con: rather bland)

2) Trying to arrange something at the piano bar, where maybe I get "our song" to be played and then drop to a knee on a certain line.

3) Something in the steakhouse on one of our family dinner nights?

Has anyone done this, or something similar? Are any of the Carnival staff more or less willing to help arrange something like this? Would this be something I spoke to them about on the ship, or a JH request? Any ideas or good spots or areas in the Dream Class ship that might be best?

One note: We both truly hate treasure hunts or those types of things, sending him around the ship to collect stuff is not very fitting for us.

P.S.

Dear Ops: I really want Carnival specific advice, such as suggestions on where this may be best on the Dream class, and how Carnival staff handle and react to this. Please don't move my thread :)

Will you have a balcony? If so and you want complete privacy you could order champagne or something and propose there, like at sunset or something. I was once on a cruise where there was a plane circling the ship at sail away, pulling a sign that was a proposal. That is probably "over the top" for you though, not to mention expensive. BTW, it sounds like you are on the same sailing we are if you are sailing on the Dream over Valentines Day.

I have no suggestions, but I love the Steakhouse idea, and getting your parents involved! I am sure whatever you pick will end up being special for both of you. If you pick the piano bar, try contacting the piano player before the cruise to make sure that he knows your song! Best wishes and congratulations! I wish you the best!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I've never been on the Carnival Dream, but I do have some experience to draw on, including 121 sailing days on CCL, a cruise vacation proposal, and a cruise wedding.

My partner and I's first cruise together was 2005. My parents and I already had an annual tradition of sailing with a large group every November. His parents decided to join us and we announced to everyone that we were moving in together.

The following November the tradition continued with all the same people. Looking back everyone but me knew about the proposal, as he had asked my Dad six months earlier for permission! He was determined to wait and do it on the cruise ship for maximum romantic value.

Long story short, many friends that were going to be on the cruise started to tell him how to do it and when to do it. The morning of our flight to Florida my partner put the engagement ring in his backpack and we headed to the airport to meet up with our parents for a very early flight.

I'm not especially good with early mornings and my partner's mother kept looking at me, giggling, and I was starting to get annoyed. Soon after, I decided to see if I could find some wet wipes in his backpack and he snatched it from me, telling me he would get it for me. That seemed out of character and my mother in law's giggling seemed even louder - what was going on? I couldn't help but start to question the wisdom of taking a cruise with four seniors who are also our parents. I guess my thoughts were written all over my face because when we got to our departure gate, he took me aside asked me to sit down on the ground by the windows and proposed.

It doesn't matter that it was at the airport. It doesn't matter what he said or where he said it. He was my best friend and still is. He wanted us to be a team for the rest of our lives. That day will always be one of the best days of my life. Other days include the day a year later when we boarded the same ship with 30 friends and family, and the fourth day on that cruise when we got married on a private beach in St. Lucia surrounded by friends and family.

My message is simple. Put the ring in your pocket, board the ship, and the moment will present itself. If you want to plan something the staff will usually be very accommodating but my experience has always been that the more plans I make the more opportunities I have to be disappointed. Trust yourself. Speak from the heart. You'll know what to do when the time is right.

This November we will be celebrating 10 years, and I can honestly say I am married to the best man on the planet who I have been grateful for every single one of those days that followed.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just proposed to my fiance on the 3rd. I too was looking for ideas and ways to do it, and received some great suggestions. However think about who you are and who he is. What do you guys enjoy? Would he prefer something more intimate or a big scene with a crowd gathered? What do you two enjoy doing on your cruises?

My fiance and I are both fairly private people and really enjoy going to the steakhouse on the first evening of the cruise. So after we finished the meal, we went and walked the outside promenade of the ship (magic), and around the aft, there is a bench and it overlooks the ocean. I asked her to go to the railing and strike the famous titanic pose so i could take a picture, i said ok got it and when she turned, i was on one knee with the ring out.

Also one more thing to think about, while sailing the front of the ship is rather windy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I suppose it makes a difference if you want a private moment or not but here is an idea. On the first formal night, go to one of the picture areas and do it there. You will have the photographer capturing the moment and you will both be looking your best. Then remember to tell EVERYONE you just got engaged and enjoy the excitement!

Thanks so much for the input so far guys! I really appreciate all the feedback and advise.

I'm thinking either the suggestion of the steakhouse or the photographers. Both are not too big a spectacle and yet could be very nice.

I may very well also take the ideas of some of the folks who have been through this, and keep a few ideas in mind and look for the right moment when it feels like it would work the best. Both the photographer and steakhouse ideas would involve minimal planning and not be asking too much of the staff.

I'd also say, have a back up plan in mind, because sometimes things do come up. I was actually throwing around the idea of the photographer, but again, shes not big on being the center of attention so I thought against it. Also after you propose, let the photographers know when you line up for pictures, they will make sure to get some nice poses with the ring in it for you.

Whatever you choose, do it early enough in the cruise to enjoy all the congrats, good wishes and toasts other px will want to share with you. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But if the answer is no...what a long awkward cruise you would have!

I am all for the intimate setting. The public spectacles almost force the person to react how the public wants it...and not how they otherwise would. Seems forced if not stale.

Not trying to be a downer.....just my opinion which is worth what you paid for it!

It may seem cheesy but maybe pack some cruise t shirts relative to the proposal might be fun to incorporate. Enjoy all the congtratuations throughout your cruise 😀

"Groom To Be" X 2

"I asked..." "I said yes" ...

"Engagement Cruise 2017"

I wish you were on the Miracle ... We're cruising valentines day as well. We made dinner reservations in the steak house for the 14th. We could have helped! Perhaps find your roll call....maybe there are other passengers there who could help out. Congrats!

I have never understood public proposals. I have witness a few and they have all been awkward. Me, personally, I think a private proposal is something special. Something just for the couple. A ship can be such a romantic setting. I would choose a very private place after a special dinner.

Best wishes on whatever you choose!

Does it have to be on the ship? I proposed to my wife on a sunset swill excursion in Curaçao during a Carnival cruise. It went splendidly. The only scary part was when my father and his friends nearly missed the boat due to airline troubles. I had my father, who was flying separately bring the ring to the ship ( so that it would not be exposed at TSA) and it was pretty Cary when they had not made it in board until 3:30!

During our excursion I took the ring and waited until just the right moment. I did not tell anyone else on the excursion or the crew. I simply waited till the champagne toast at sunset, then walked up to a crew member and handed them my phone and asked them to take a photo. Several others on the excursion were very excited for us and we made new friends that we still are in touch with.

A public proposal, even when awkward can be very romantic. Sometimes the willingness to declare your love in public despite the embarrassment or awkwardness is the very thing that makes it romantic.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

On our next to last cruise we went with some friends. Before dinner on formal night one night we went up to the top deck and took pictures. I was positive that he was going to propose there and have someone there to take a picture of the exact moment. Didn't happen but I think it is a great idea. He proposed a few months later and we honeymooned on the dream.

If you want quiet and the family present, the steak house is an awesome venue. If you are doing some kind of promise ring then you take them the ring earlier and have them present it with dessert. Also easy to have champagne for a toast. If you email the maitre d in advance you could get a window table. Time ur dinner during sunset.

Otherwise if you want a more private moment, keep the ring in your pocket and find a quiet space on deck on an evening stroll.

Lastly, I also agree that a shore excursion could be an excellent opportunity. My husband almost proposed on top of a pyramid in Belize; he ultimately chose one of our bucket list places - the giant whale shark tank at the Georgia Aquarium. It was lovely.

We just returned from a cruise on Carnival Freedom (12/24-12/31) and someone proposed at the table next to us in the MDR during the formal night on 12/25. They were at a large table with one or both families and it was very sweet. Once those of us around them realized what happened, we all started clapping. The dining room photographers spent lots of extra time getting shots of the happy couple.

Wherever, however you propose, I hope it's magical! Congratulations!