Help please: HAL newbie seeks frank assessment of the Zuiderdam

Turtles06

Hello and Happy New Year!

My wife and I are veteran cruisers, but have never sailed HAL before. With the new smoking policy, I'm happy to say that HAL is now in the mix for us. :) We are looking seriously at the 20-day Viking Passage just announced for August 2018 on the Zuiderdam; it's a great itinerary.

My question is about the Zuiderdam -- very recent reviews of her here on CC have a "tired and dated" theme to them. Some of the photos I've been able to find bear this out (although I'm not sure when they were all taken). I know that the ship was in dry dock in the spring of 2015, but it's not clear what, if anything, was done to refresh/update the furniture and furnishings in the cabins, the MDR, etc. (If we do take this cruise, I think it would be in a Signature Suite.)

Also, I see that the ship is scheduled for another dry dock in October 2017, but I haven't been able to find any info about what is supposed to be done then. Anyone know?

We don't need the bells, whistles, water slides, etc. of new ships, but we also don't want to feel that a ship is really past her sell-by date, either, especially on a long cruise.

I would really appreciate frank comments about the Zuiderdam from recent cruisers (recent photos too), and any info that people may have about the 2017 dry dock.

Thanks in advance for any help, and happy holidays!

We were on the Zuiderdam in September. Decor is always a matter of personal taste, but I'd describe it as dated and rather garish in the ship's public areas. We had a number of maintenance issues in our room (HVAC problems, no hot water in the shower, etc.), but they were fixed quickly when reported. That said, I wouldn't let that stop me from sailing on the Zuiderdam again, particularly if I found an excellent itinerary such as the Viking Passage.

Edited to add: Service is very important to me, and the service on the Z was excellent.

Edited by bluegiraffe

I just put a courtesy hold on a cabin on the same 20 day August 2018 cruise and I agree that it sounds like a great itinerary. I haven't been on the Zuiderdam but I feel comfortable sailing on her, especially with the upcoming drydock. HAL recently announced changes to the Crow's Nest area (which won't mean anything to you if you haven't sailed on Holland America before). Probably those same changes will be added to the Zuiderdam, along with better TV sets and content and other refurbishment. The reason that I sail on Holland America is that I like the port intensive itineraries.

I just put a courtesy hold on a cabin on the same 20 day August 2018 cruise and I agree that it sounds like a great itinerary.

Small world! Maybe we will "meet" next on the Roll Call. :)

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond to my questions; much appreciated!

I just spent some time looking at photos of the Zuiderdam.

In a weird sort of way I like the decor I'm seeing .. it's very Vegasish and I love Vegas.

It's seriously not any more garish or loud than Carnival's ships. After awhile the pink trimmed cabins and red/purple/orange accents become normal. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also wondering about the Zuiderdam. What are the in room televisions like? Do they play movies on demand?

The Zuiderdam has not been upgraded to the new TVs with movies On Demand but they do still have the DVD players with movies available to borrow. TVs are mounted on the stateroom desk.

Edited by Crew News