Formal Night Men's Wear question

SusieKIslandGirl

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I guess if there's room in the suitcase I'll pack a jacket but won't worry if I can't squeeze it in.

If you are flying, my husband usually wears his sport jacket on the plane; that way no need to stuff it in the suitcase. He no longer takes a tux or suit.

DW and I are doing our first European cruise - 21 days, Barcelona-Barcelona, Royal Princess, May 6, 2017 - and we're very excited.

I read this thread as well as the Princess website and understand that suits or tuxedos are acceptable formal night attire for men. I'm wondering what are the "unofficial rules" of tuxedos vs. formal suits.

The reason I ask this is because circa 2012 DW and I did a Celebrity Caribbean cruise during American Thanksgiving. Presumably because of the holiday there were relatively few Americans on board. (Approximately 800 of the passengers were British, 300 were German and we heard many people speaking French.)

On five previous Caribbean cruises I always wore dark suits for formal nights and never felt remotely underdressed (and I hate being underdressed). However on the 2012 cruise I mentioned most of the men were wearing tuxedos or white dinner jackets and very few of us (or so it seemed) wore suits. Fortunately the other men at our table (one American and one British) both wore suits so I didn't feel completely out of place.

Given that we'll be on a European cruise, should I assume most men will be wearing tuxedos?

DW and I are doing our first European cruise - 21 days, Barcelona-Barcelona, Royal Princess, May 6, 2017 - and we're very excited.

I read this thread as well as the Princess website and understand that suits or tuxedos are acceptable formal night attire for men. I'm wondering what are the "unofficial rules" of tuxedos vs. formal suits.

The refrason I ask this is because circa 2012 DW and I did a Celebrity Caribbean cruise during American Thanksgiving. Presumably because of the holiday there were relatively few Americans on board. (Approximately 800 of the passengers were British, 300 were German and we heard many people speaking French.)

On five previous Caribbean cruises I always wore dark suits for formal nights and never felt remotely underdressed (and I hate being underdressed). However on the 2012 cruise I mentioned most of the men were wearing tuxedos or white dinner jackets and very few of us (or so it seemed) wore suits. Fortunately the other men at our table (one American and one British) both wore suits so I didn't feel completely out of place.

Given that we'll be on a European cruise, should I assume most men will be wearing tuxedos?

No. Don't assume that.

But if you feel comfortable wearing your tux, bring it. Never hurts to be overdressed, rather than underdressed, if you're concerned about that sort of thing. :cool:

Happy sailing in 2017.

I'm one of the "me me me" and "I can do as I please" generation & in the past 15 years have never worn a jacket, tie or tux on formal evenings in the DR.

I had been wearing a dress shirt without the jacket but recently switched to wearing a guayabera shirt along with dress pants.

You'll never run into any problem on Princess unless you're wearing a T shirt & shorts on a formal evening.

It is a shame, but over my last few cruises the formality of the night is getting noticeably less and less. My first Med cruise 6 years ago, everyone was very smart, 90% men wore suits or tuxedo's and the women looked elegant, with the odd exception here and there.

On our last Alaska cruise in June, I felt the odd one out wearing a DJ. I think I saw half a dozen men wearing DJ's, and probably 50% if that wearing a 'proper' suit. Some clearly didn't bother at all, and I do get a bit frustrated (sillily, I know) that people don't make at least a small bit of effort to look half decent for just one/two nights of the cruise.

This cruise (Jan 8th Caribbean, Regal, just around the corner!), I am only packing a suit so as not to feel those glances at me of me in my DJ and feeling very much the odd one out. Shame, but sign of the times I guess.

On Celebrity last year, their code was elegant chic (or something like that), which was just smart casual for what I could see, with the odd jacket on over and above what would be normal, but at least everyone knew where they stood. With Princess it is very hit and miss, and becoming more miss than hit!

The reason I ask this is because circa 2012 DW and I did a Celebrity Caribbean cruise during American Thanksgiving. Presumably because of the holiday there were relatively few Americans on board. (Approximately 800 of the passengers were British, 300 were German and we heard many people speaking French.)

I would be in my Tux....but the truth is that a majority of men will wear jackets....but mostly suits or sport coats. At best, perhaps 25% will wear a Tux...and that would be at "best." And we think that actually makes sense (even though we wear our Tux). Most men do not own a Tux...and they are quite expensive to rent. I only wear a Tux because I own it...and it really is no more of a hassle then putting on a sport coat with trousers. And even more importantly, DW likes me in my Tux :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I've only worn a suit on 1 princess cruise as over packing wasn't a problem that 1 time. Just look neat, and as already said don't wear open shoes or a t-shirt. On every other princess I've just worn a polo shirt and trousers, most the destinations I go to are extremely hot. With this in mind I like seeing the guys and gals all dressed up, it's harmless fun though don't take it too seriously.