Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

My wife is on board and the captain said tugs won't show up till 5pm (currently 10am) and it will take 20 hours to get to port . They made the announcement That they would not be allowed off ship. She recorded it. What burns me is they knowingly endangered my wife. We knew the ship had problems a week before sailing. We tried to get out money back and NCL refused. With now power to maneuver what if rough seas. We live on the Florida coast our whole lives and around boats. How stupid and selfish to put people on a broken ship. This was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime. Saved for years. So to travel around the world for this? My wife will never make back there. Sad

Posted my similar information at a similar time- feel sorry for your wife. I hope she can make it back again someday and and enjoy the trip she deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had been contemplating booking the 2/18/17 sailing of the Star but at this point I am really glad I didn't. I was watching as the prices kept falling so I decided to look into why and now I know. I feel awful for all the passengers on board now dealing with all the uncertainties and can't believe how NCL is handling the problem. They continue to be the cause of their own PR nightmare . They continue to screw over the passengers of several sailings of the Star. They have not been upfront about the severity of the engine/Azipod propulsion issues. All that appears to happening is NCL putting a series of band aids on the problem hoping that will allow the ship to limp from one sailing date to another by cancelling half the ports on each sailing. Does anyone know if the 2/18/17 or 3/9/17 sailings are going to have to be cancelled. I hope NCL can find a place to drydock the Star soon so the problems can be repaired properly whatever it takes whether that be new engine(s) or new Azipod(s). If it is not worth the money to make the repairs, they need to divest themselves of this repeatedly problematic asset. God speed that all passengers are safely and monetarily taken care of.

There is a big difference between a passenger port and a commercial repair dock. The commercial dock may not have the capacity to load and offload passengers safely so it is possible that there may not be the capability to leave at all and this may not be being communicated properly by the bridge crew.

I am hoping that once towing operations, etc get under way, the CD staff will be able to give the pax a more informed briefing.

I haven't got a list of exact names, but just got off. Spelling might not be accurate and I don't have a full list.

Captain - Matthias Andersson

HD - Manni (short for a longer Greek name. Don't know his surname.

CD - Richard Matic.

They just just handed out paper... tugs are running late. Wont be there until 8pm. Offering $350 flight credit for those who need to fly into Aukland.4-5 days to repair. People Are allowed to leave ship. They are providing Comp. Internet and phone assist. for people to make travel arrangements.

My understanding is that the flux capacitor cannot be installed until Marty McFly returns from 1885 with the Doc. Marty does not have the necessary skills to install it himself.

Pay attention, people.

Cruise Critic need a "like" button! That movie was filmed at my high school!

Initially they were being pulled into a NON passenger port. They did not have a way to off-load passengers. They are now going to a port that can offload passengers. They are offering $350 Credit for flights for passengers needing to get to aukland. The tugs are running late wont be there till 8pm (Currently 11am now). They are offering free wifi on deck 12 for passengers needing to make arrangement's.

I haven't got a list of exact names, but just got off. Spelling might not be accurate and I don't have a full list.

Captain - Matthias Andersson

HD - Manni (short for a longer Greek name. Don't know his surname.

CD - Richard Matic.

I think we have met Richard before. He was the first Philipino cruise director we've seen. He always had a story to tell! We enjoyed him!

I think we have met Richard before. He was the first Philipino cruise director we've seen. He always had a story to tell! We enjoyed him!

Yes- I loved him. At first I wasn't sure as the CD on Jan 5th was lovely too, but I loved the way he had a high presence on the ship, always chatting to passengers, arranged and even took many dance classes. Also turned up to the dance themed party and interacted as well as danced with all the passengers. I'd be happy to have him as a CD on future cruise.

Ship broke down just a few hours back and they say they already know it'll take 4-5 days to repair..? And why would they give flight credit to Auckland unless they know it WON'T be there on time? I smell the usual NCL ****e..

1 day to get to port

4/5 days to fix

3/4 days to get to Auckland

Today is the 10th Feb so it could easily be late into Auckland as it is due on the 18th. They have already stated that it won't leave Auckland before the19th!!

Ship broke down just a few hours back and they say they already know it'll take 4-5 days to repair..? And why would they give flight credit to Auckland unless they know it WON'T be there on time? I smell the usual NCL ****e..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info - sounds like the ship is not getting into Auckland on time or it might not even go there. Good thing I booked a hotel with free cancellation.

Ok so I have no experience with this, IF NCL cancels, we get our money back or they do future cruise credit? We NEED a vacation. We will absolutely go on something else as soon as we can and try to fit it into this schedule, but won't be able to if it's cruise credit vs money back. Anyone know what would happen if NCL cancels?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Re: passenger safety. Aside from the inability to maneuver to avoid a hazard, I believe folks are quite safe at sea without propulsion. Barring a tsunami, people are not at risk - this is a very large ship, not the SS Minnow.

I don't think you are in any position to make any statements about the safety of the ship, passengers and crew. The Bass Strait and the Tasman Sea are both known for historically ROUGH SEAS and the Star is unable to maneuver to avoid any rough waves.

"I am aboard the Norwegian Star. Both Azipods have failed and we are adrift in the Tasman sea. We left Melbourne last night and apparently the second engine went down in the middle of the night. The captain came over the speakers this morning saying the azipods have both failed. He said we are 20 hours from nearest land (drifting) so we are safe. It's 9:46 am here and the captain said the first tug will get to us at around 5pm this evening, with a second tug arriving later this evening. He said we would be towed to land and would undergo repairs for 4-5 days, likely Port of Melbourne if there is room. The captain said we will get a 100% refund (unsure if this is a future cruise credit or an actual refund) and a 50% credit for a future cruise .... Captain came on a few minutes ago. The tug is coming around 8pm now. They are offering people the option to fly home at their expense. Doesn't help us though. "

So, have exhausted all options and am ready to call CBS news to help! NCL says the 3/9 sailing is still planning to go ahead as scheduled with no itinerary changes. No option to cancel without penalty.

Travel insurance won't reimburse cancellation since NCL hasn't canceled the cruise.

Credit card will dispute but there's no guarantee they'll win the dispute, so $8000 off the bill, would be returned at a later date if they lose due the NCL contract language.

Credit card travel protection won't reimburse for mechanical issues.

We're at the mercy of NCL for a ship that has been malfunctioning since December!!! :mad: One month unpaid vacation taken for this trip for the itinerary which may continue to be the "cruise to nowhere". :( Several thousand spent on airfare, etc. which will be wasted on this "dream" itinerary. :(

I don't think you are in any position to make any statements about the safety of the ship, passengers and crew. The Bass Strait and the Tasman Sea are both known for historically ROUGH SEAS and the Star is unable to maneuver to avoid any rough waves.

Star is in good weather with calm sea's on her live Bow/ Cam

:) http://www.kroooz-cams.com/ncl_star/star.php :)

"I am aboard the Norwegian Star. Both Azipods have failed and we are adrift in the Tasman sea. We left Melbourne last night and apparently the second engine went down in the middle of the night. The captain came over the speakers this morning saying the azipods have both failed. He said we are 20 hours from nearest land (drifting) so we are safe. It's 9:46 am here and the captain said the first tug will get to us at around 5pm this evening, with a second tug arriving later this evening. He said we would be towed to land and would undergo repairs for 4-5 days, likely Port of Melbourne if there is room. The captain said we will get a 100% refund (unsure if this is a future cruise credit or an actual refund) and a 50% credit for a future cruise .... Captain came on a few minutes ago. The tug is coming around 8pm now. They are offering people the option to fly home at their expense. Doesn't help us though. "

So, have exhausted all options and am ready to call CBS news to help! NCL says the 3/9 sailing is still planning to go ahead as scheduled with no itinerary changes. No option to cancel without penalty.

Travel insurance won't reimburse cancellation since NCL hasn't canceled the cruise.

Credit card will dispute but there's no guarantee they'll win the dispute, so $8000 off the bill, would be returned at a later date if they lose due the NCL contract language.

Credit card travel protection won't reimburse for mechanical issues.

We're at the mercy of NCL for a ship that has been malfunctioning since December!!! :mad: One month unpaid vacation taken for this trip for the itinerary which may continue to be the "cruise to nowhere". :( Several thousand spent on airfare, etc. which will be wasted on this "dream" itinerary. :(

Right there with you. 22 hour flight from Florida. My wife is also scheduled for second leg on the 18th. She is so upset. And who would want to travel with NCL ever after this experience. We tried to cancel but they forced her and her mom to go on this cruise.

Don't get your undies all balled up, friend. It ain't the Poseidon Adventure.