Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Not So .. I just asked why the ship was drifting 32km off the coast of Wonthaggi ...

The answer is that is very easy for the owners of FOC registered ships to cut corners

You did more than ask a question. You also provided an "answer", one for which you provided no other justification than that you can't think of a better one.

You overreached and, rather than acknowledge this, now you're trying to fall back on "just askin'"

Edited by havenfan

I don't regard it as impossible for both NCL and John to be wrong. Do you?

Do you regard it to be correct that the ship sailed from Melbourne with only one of its two azipods working after a history of multiple failures ,, should this have rung alarm bells??

Who made the decision and why??

Why have the owners now spent a great deal fo time and money to ensure BOTH azipods are working for the trip to New Zealand

So whats different between then and now?

Just ask those questions and think if you would place your life in the hands of those who thought its ok to only have one pod working did they not understand that if that single pod stopped working the ship was in danger ......

You would not fly in an aircraft with a possible faulty engine would you

Dont imagine the sea cannot kill you just as quickly

Regards

John

Makes you wonder how much they can see at night underwater.

I can say we can forget any diving until daylight anyone who has scuba dived in the bay will understand why...

So how long before the off ?? I did hear 3 hours mentioned somewhere

Regards

John

Do you regard it to be correct that the ship sailed from Melbourne with only one of its two azipods working after a history of multiple failures ,, should this have rung alarm bells?? Since the ship sailed from multiple ports in Australia with only one pod working, this either means it did not ring any alarm bells for AMSA, or you hold this agency in extremely low regard.

Who made the decision and why?? The company, with flag state, class, and Port State approval.

Why have the owners now spent a great deal fo time and money to ensure BOTH azipods are working for the trip to New Zealand Because the parts are now available, and because now the ship has had a "marine incident" and AMSA and class both require a repair to both pods, if practicable.

So whats different between then and now?Reportable marine incident, and a different decision by AMSA.

Just ask those questions and think if you would place your life in the hands of those who thought its ok to only have one pod working did they not understand that if that single pod stopped working the ship was in danger ...... I've spent the majority of my 42 years at sea with only one working propulsion system, because there is only one.

You would not fly in an aircraft with a possible faulty engine would you

Dont imagine the sea cannot kill you just as quickly

Regards

John

See my comments in red.

Divers over the side???

Is a Trip round the bay a suitable sea trial ?

We shall see wont we :cool:

Regards

John

Divers will be checking the shaft seals for leakage, and unless the water is extremely silty or cloudy, they can see what is needed, even at night, using dive lights and getting right up to the seal.

How long a sea trial do you want? Apparently AMSA and class feel it is a suitable sea trial. It appears they have tested at various power levels, and for steering, what more do you want? Or is this simply another "band aid" repair?