Redeeming FF Miles

nvbabe

I have been trying to book British Air Seattle to Barcelona departing next Sept., with Alaska Air miles. I've called every morning at 5am, when they open, since last Thurs the first available day. So far only First Class has been available, trying for a coach seat. I did book a flight from LA to Barcelona just in case. Anyone have any thoughts on how long I should keep trying? Renee

You did well!! It is my understanding that "partner" tickets on BA are pretty hard to come by.

I would book an inexpensive SEA/LAX flight and let it go at that. If you already booked the LAX ticket, they have pulled the miles, correct? You would have to cancel the LAX ticket, redeposit the miles and then book the SEA ticket. I am not sure if Alaska charges on a redeposit but most airlines do. The redeposit fee will just about cover a discount LAX ticket.

Having had a look at award availability, it looks like British Airways simply hasn't yet released any economy award availability beyond the end of April 2006. Seattle is a busy business route and is operated by an aircraft with relatively few economy seats, and award availability is usually run dynamically (seats become available and unavailable depending on the levels of booking of revenue fares). At a guess, BA may simply be waiting to see what booking patterns look like for the summer months before they decide to start allocating award availability.

You may therefore need to wait until early in 2006 before there's any award availability at all in economy.

There should be more than just first class available now, though. I'm seeing quite a lot of business class and even premium economy availability in September, and Alaska should be able to access the same inventory. Premium economy is a very nice way to travel at a modest supplement if you don't want to splurge on a real premium class.

Thank you for your replies, I'm encouraged! I'm glad to have the LA ticket, but the Seattle flight gets us to Barcelona 6 hours earlier. It only cost $50.00 to change ticket, so I think I'll keep trying off and on. Again this morning they said they only had First Class available. Now wish me luck on getting a flight home! We're returning from Istanbul, and can't try booking until the 19th. Renee

Wanted to let everyone know, I was able to book a return flight. Didn't get my first choice, so have to over night in London on the way back. Very glad to have gotten what I did:) . Anyone know a decent hotel near Heathrow? Renee

Anyone know a decent hotel near Heathrow?
So what exact route(s) and airline(s) are you now flying? (And by airline, I mean the airline actually operating each flight, not simply the airline whose code is on your ticket.) It's easier to give advice when we know which London airports, and which terminals at those airports, are involved.

You might want to have a look at this recent thread.

We will be flying Alaska from Portland, Or to LAX, then British Air LA to Barcelona via London Heathrow. Our return flight is British Air Istanbul to London Heathrow (with overnight stay) then London Heathrow to Seattle. Returning to Portland on Alaska air. Renee

Our return flight is British Air Istanbul to London Heathrow (with overnight stay) then London Heathrow to Seattle.
OK - you'll be flying BA from Istanbul to Heathrow Terminal 1. Your flight to Seattle the next afternoon leaves from Terminal 4.

If you can get an acceptable rate for a room at the Hilton, I'd recommend that. It's not cheap, but it is one of the best hotels at Heathrow and has the added advantage that it is right next to Terminal 4, connected by a walkway (no more than 10 minutes' stroll, much less if you walk fast), so that getting to check-in the next morning would be fast and stress-free. You'd be able to relax in the hotel until you really need to leave.

It really is British Airways, not British Air!

Archived