Snorkeling at Harvest Caye without paid excursion?

krishj39

Hi, I'll be visiting Harvest Caye, Belize, in a few weeks (Jan 25th). From what I can tell, many things there still seem to be a bit half-baked. No excursion for snorkeling at HC is listed for our cruise. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to snorkel there on our own just by swimming out from the island? If so, I guess I'd want to also know if the snorkeling is any good. Lastly, since this is likely to be a limited number of responses, anything else you recommend while there? If they are too restrictive or nothing to see right at the island, is there any chance there is the option to find someone to take us out once we land on the island?

I like to explore "real" things a lot more than hanging around a carefully created island.

I tried to assess the situation using Google Earth but the photo is too old.

Thanks!

Edited by krishj39

Hi, I'll be visiting Harvest Caye, Belize, in a few weeks (Jan 25th). From what I can tell, many things there still seem to be a bit half-baked. No excursion for snorkeling at HC is listed for our cruise. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to snorkel there on our own just by swimming out from the island? If so, I guess I'd want to also know if the snorkeling is any good. Lastly, since this is likely to be a limited number of responses, anything else you recommend while there? If they are too restrictive or nothing to see right at the island, is there any chance there is the option to find someone to take us out once we land on the island?

I like to explore "real" things a lot more than hanging around a carefully created island.

I tried to assess the situation using Google Earth but the photo is too old.

Thanks!

We've been to HC, and others with gear reported no snorkeling worth doing. We assumed that would be the case and left our gear on the ship. Also no independent transportation to mainland or any other location.

Very disappointing to be in Belize and have no diving or snorkeling options.

They are building a platform called the Ocean Explorer out over a reef somewhere, but it wasn't ready for our cruise (Early Dec 2016) so all excursions related to it were canceled.

I assume the same is true for you if you are not seeing snorkeling excursions for your dates.

Nice beach. Nice pool. Drinks and food extra and can be charged to your ship account

Hope this helps.

Van

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app