Mardi Gras Cruise

BosoxI

The cruise ship terminal is roughly a mile walk to the French Quarter. Not sure about customs.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I want to walk a mile in New Orleans at night, especially during Mardi Gras, and with my dear wife. Thanks for the info. We are holding a cabin and struggling with whether we want to revisit these ports or take a different cruise to new places. NOLA is a pretty rough place once the sun goes down. Perhaps the ship will run jitneys, if we're lucky

Usually when you re-enter the US at a port of call immigrations comes on board and they inspect passports. You are given a time when to report. Most likely it's in the dining room. Line moves quickly because they look at your passport quickly and place a sticker on your room card to show security that you were cleared. US citizens report in a separate area. You don't do customs until you leave the ship in FLL.

Don't sweat visiting the French Quarter at night when you arrive if that's a problem. You get plenty of daylight hours during your next two days there.

Edited by cruise pup

Celebrity will only provide transportation to the parades if you book the grandstands ... no transportation back, though. All public transportation options close down during parade times.

All this information is listed under the Feb 20th, Celebrity Equinox roll call. Start at the end of part 2 and work backwards, unless you want to read 10K posts. Mary has put all this information into a spreadsheet ... she's incredible.

Yes, NOLA can be pretty risky walking around at night but we're going by the safety in numbers philosophy. There will be a LOT of people from the ship going into town. Just join in on a group if you feel uncomfortable. There is also a lot of no nonsense advice on avoiding some of that risk.

If you are still apprehensive about going, they also have a jazz festival cruise in April that will be crowded but maybe less intimidating than the Mardi Gras itinerary.

Celebrity will only provide transportation to the parades if you book the grandstands ... no transportation back, though. All public transportation options close down during parade times.

All this information is listed under the Feb 20th, Celebrity Equinox roll call. Start at the end of part 2 and work backwards, unless you want to read 10K posts. Mary has put all this information into a spreadsheet ... she's incredible.

Yes, NOLA can be pretty risky walking around at night but we're going by the safety in numbers philosophy. There will be a LOT of people from the ship going into town. Just join in on a group if you feel uncomfortable. There is also a lot of no nonsense advice on avoiding some of that risk.

If you are still apprehensive about going, they also have a jazz festival cruise in April that will be crowded but maybe less intimidating than the Mardi Gras itinerary.

Thanks to all for the info. I am a relatively frequent visitor to New Orleans and I've been to Mardi Gras several times, so I am well aware of the situation. Actually, once away from the French Quarter, the festivities are very family friendly and without the mad crush of people. Having seen it before is one of the reasons we are hesitating, the other reason is Celebrity pulled a bait and switch on our cabin.

Edited by BosoxI

Agree with Cruise Raider.

We'll be on the Feb 20th sailing too. Mardi Gras is a bucket list item for us and this is a great way to experience it. This is undoubtedly the best organized group I've ever cruised with. Mary (beba beba) has many planned activities on her spreadsheet.

You can view the parades without going near the French quarter. A number of us have reserved grandstand space at Lafayette park (book privately, much cheaper than the X excursion). After dark if things get too crazy we'll just head back to the ship.

Not overly worried about safety. Have read there will be a large police presence and right next to the Julia St. terminal where we'll dock is a large outlet center that's open until 9pm. Should be plenty of foot traffic.

Not overly worried about safety. Have read there will be a large police presence and right next to the Julia St. terminal where we'll dock is a large outlet center that's open until 9pm. Should be plenty of foot traffic.

Speaking of safety, that outlet mall is dangerous; was there a couple weeks ago and never seen $600 disappear and turn into shoes so fast. Not sure how my wife managed to fit all the loot into our luggage.

We had the cruise to Mardi Gras booked on Equinox in February but cancelled for two reasons. A bizillion people on Bourbon St and being there a couple months ago non Mardi Gras was enough and I couldnt imagine any more people. Dont get me wrong it was fun but looks like way too many people for me.

Second my sister who I hardly see out of state wanted to cruise in April so we changed date to April..heard port in New Orleans is in an industrial area but seems like a mile walk to Mardi Gras would be too much. Theres always a cab and I'm sure they will be lined up for cruisers..

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but just do your research.. Be safe and have fun..

heard port in New Orleans is in an industrial area but seems like a mile walk to Mardi Gras would be too much. Theres always a cab and I'm sure they will be lined up for cruisers..

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but just do your research.. Be safe and have fun..

While the French Quarter is about a mile away, the Riverfront area (where the ship docks) has a lot going on right there and the downtown business district (with lots of shopping and restaurants) is also very close. You do not need to travel all the way to the French Quarter to see the parades. FYI it is hard to depend on a cab for transportation during Mardi Gras (unless well before the parades start); they can be rather scarce.

Regarding safety, the tourist areas are generally quite safe (lots of police presence) but one does have to deal with massive crowds and endless drunks. Because of the crowds it is also easily to become separated from those in your party. New Orleans does go from good neighborhood to bad neighborhood very fast in some areas, so it is important not to wander at night without knowing where you are going. There are safe routes for walking from the French Quarter to the ship - even at nighttime, but head the wrong way and you can end up in a really bad area really quickly.

I have seen plainclothes cops hustle drunks and others off Bourbon Street so fast that it made my head spin. One minute a guy was acting up, the next second he disappeared in the arms of the police like he never existed. NOLA has always recognized the need to impress visitors with its safety. But it would be foolhardy to think it's safe anywhere in the city, including Bourbon Street. As I recall there was a murder and nine or ten woundings there back in November and that wasn't during Mardi Gras. It's a tough town and as Gonzo noted, neighborhoods change rapidly. Heck, one of the notable things to view is how there can be marked changes from house to house in the same block. It's a fascinating city and always has been. My Dad would tell me stories about NOLA during the war, but I don't think people were shooting themselves with wild abandon back then.

The Equinox will be docking in NOLA next month. Where will that be in relation to the French Quarter?

How is Customs handled? This will be the first port of entry but the cruise ends in Ft. Lauderdale.

I asked this question a while back. Here is the link with a bunch of answers...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2194373

How is Customs handled? This will be the first port of entry but the cruise ends in Ft. Lauderdale.

When we did Hawaii the only non-US port was the end in Vancouver. From a port protocol standpoint, nothing really appeared to be handled any differently than when we ported elsewhere - show card to get off or on the ship and all was good. Same the time we sailed from NoLA on the Serenade and ported in Key West.

While the French Quarter is about a mile away, the Riverfront area (where the ship docks) has a lot going on right there and the downtown business district (with lots of shopping and restaurants) is also very close. You do not need to travel all the way to the French Quarter to see the parades. FYI it is hard to depend on a cab for transportation during Mardi Gras (unless well before the parades start); they can be rather scarce.

I think part of our motivation for this trip was to basically witness Mardi Gras from as close as we chose to get without the hassle of traveling, lodging, getting about, etc. It's there if we want to dig in, it's there every year if it's worth the effort to go back, if not we just watch from the Lawn Club and say "Glad we're not dealing with all that."

Safe to assume we're at the Cruiseport by the Convention Center? We stayed at the Convention Center Marriott (as did our car for 6 additional nights) when we went on Serenade. It's nice after booking this thing literally Christmas Day 2014 to finally say "We're going on a cruise this year."

We had the cruise to Mardi Gras booked on Equinox in February but cancelled for two reasons. A bizillion people on Bourbon St and being there a couple months ago non Mardi Gras was enough and I couldnt imagine any more people. Dont get me wrong it was fun but looks like way too many people for me.

Second my sister who I hardly see out of state wanted to cruise in April so we changed date to April..heard port in New Orleans is in an industrial area but seems like a mile walk to Mardi Gras would be too much. Theres always a cab and I'm sure they will be lined up for cruisers..

Oh no...I hadn't realized my fellow "Cheesehead" had canceled this cruise. I will have to eat all the brats and cheese myself now. :(

Actually, glad you found something you wanted to do instead. Maybe next time.

Thanks to all for the info. I am a relatively frequent visitor to New Orleans and I've been to Mardi Gras several times, so I am well aware of the situation. Actually, once away from the French Quarter, the festivities are very family friendly and without the mad crush of people. Having seen it before is one of the reasons we are hesitating, the other reason is Celebrity pulled a bait and switch on our cabin.

I see. We've been to NOLA a couple of times before ... just never to Mardi Gras. I am expecting a crush of people but still wanting to go. I am sure it will be a one and done. But, we said that about New Years Eve down in Vegas and we couldn't resist doing it a second time. So, who knows??

Just curious ... what bait and switch did Celebrity pull on your cabin?