Belize or Costa Maya

cparkerkite

We will be on the Magic next year. We have 4 excursions, but will only get off the ship for 3 of them.

We (3 families with 2 kids) want to do the Mayan Ruins.

Which port would you get off the ship? Belize or Costa Maya for the ruins? And why? We won't do any beach.

Thank you for your help!

C

We will be on the Magic next year. We have 4 excursions, but will only get off the ship for 3 of them.

We (3 families with 2 kids) want to do the Mayan Ruins.

Which port would you get off the ship? Belize or Costa Maya for the ruins? And why? We won't do any beach.

Thank you for your help!

C

not sure how old the two kids are, but my first suggestion is to check further into the available excursions to see how long the travel time is (each way) to each of the ruins. For example, does one excursion involve a one hour bus ride, versus another that is 2+ hours each way? From that, you can determine whether or not the youngsters will enjoy being stuck on a bus that long. :) Just a starting point. I did an independent tour of the Mayan ruins (Chacchoben) near Costa Maya and really enjoyed it. Have not done the ruins near Belize, so cannot comment for comparison.

not sure how old the two kids are, but my first suggestion is to check further into the available excursions to see how long the travel time is (each way) to each of the ruins. For example, does one excursion involve a one hour bus ride, versus another that is 2+ hours each way? From that, you can determine whether or not the youngsters will enjoy being stuck on a bus that long. :) Just a starting point. I did an independent tour of the Mayan ruins (Chacchoben) near Costa Maya and really enjoyed it. Have not done the ruins near Belize, so cannot comment for comparison.

Thanks! My baby is 6 and my friend's son is 9. But when we cruise, they'll be 7 and 10. :)

In CM, Native Choice offers some good tours at reasonable prices. Outside the beach and an overpriced waterpark, not much else in terms of excursions. Most people do the beach.

In Belize, look for an Altun Ha tour, preferably with an independent provider, like Reggie Torus. Closer to cruise port, and doesn't take as long to walk through with private guide and then come back to ship. The other thing both children might enjoy in Belize is cave-tubing. Somewhat unique to Belize. To get a beach you'll need to take an excursion.

In sum, cave-tubing in Belize and Native Choice for Maya ruins in CM.

Two of my favorite posters who always have very credible information and they have different opinions. Crewsweeper says ruins in Costa Maya and Bluewater says ruins in Belize. What to do?

I have been to Altun Ha in Belize so I may go with Native Choice to the ruins in Costa Maya this time.

If you have never been to either, I believe that either choice will be satisfying.

Two of my favorite posters who always have very credible information and they have different opinions. Crewsweeper says ruins in Costa Maya and Bluewater says ruins in Belize. What to do?

I have been to Altun Ha in Belize so I may go with Native Choice to the ruins in Costa Maya this time.

If you have never been to either, I believe that either choice will be satisfying.

We just have more experience in Belize and other areas of Mexico than in CM and I'm sure the Native Choice excursions in Costa Maya are a great experience.

If you wanted a nice beach experience without a longish boat ride at one of the two ports we would look at Costa Maya for the beach and Belize for ruins. Hope that helps! :)

Going by OP's comment of implying they didn't want a beach day (did I misread?), I chose CM for ruins, as there are other things to do in Belize, with Elementary age children, like cave tubing. Whereas in CM it's 95% beach stuff. Except the overpriced waterpark, maybe atrip to Blue lagoon (usually included on some ruins tours) Maya ruins is about all there is. They're certainly not going to rent a car and trek down to Xcalak to David's brewery.:D

But I do agree with BW, in that the ruins in Belize are very good. With Altun Ha being closer and probably more palatable for children.

Thanks yall! Your advice is so very appreciated!

I think we are going to do Belize for the ruins and do Altun Ha. It seems to be the "easiest" and less bus ride for the kids. It also seems to fit the entire group's wants. Since we are in port for such a short amount of time in Costa Maya, we will just toodle around the port that day and swim, shop and eat. :)

I think we are going to do Belize for the ruins and do Altun Ha. It seems to be the "easiest" and less bus ride for the kids. It also seems to fit the entire group's wants. Since we are in port for such a short amount of time in Costa Maya, we will just toodle around the port that day and swim, shop and eat. :)

Book your Altun Ha tour with a private vendor (we've used Reggie's Tours for this in the past, but there are others). Faster and therefore shorter ride, cheaper than ship, and you can go at your own pace, We left on the first tender and met up with guide after a brief wait for another couple and then the driver. And we were among the first people at the site, climbed every climbable temple, walked all around, had the guide point out many things. And then as we were going through the small museum/exhibit house, in came the tour from our ship.

In Costa Maya, you may indeed find it a bit less costly and more fun to take a taxi to Blue Kay and back than hang out in the port area. But as you don't need any prior bookings, you can play that by ear once you dock.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are going to do Belize for the ruins and do Altun Ha. It seems to be the "easiest" and less bus ride for the kids. It also seems to fit the entire group's wants. SAltun Ha tour,ince we are in port for such a short amount of time in Costa Maya, we will just toodle around the port that day and swim, shop and eat. :)

I did the Carnival excursion in Belize called Altun Ha tour and river wallace, I have been on 13 cruises and and this one was the best! Booked it again for my nexted cruise.