those not-on-menu but always available food items

brownie sundae- Its on the kids menu, but unless you have a child with you , you may not ever look at the kids menu.

This is what I was going to say. I get the Brownie Sundae most nights, its funny how many people around us start ordering it a few nights later after they realize what we are doing.

But you can get anything on the kids menu, for example, french fries. Also don't forget it isn't on the desert menu but you can get Ice Cream, Sorbet and cookies every night.

Just off the Liberty. Some of our group was disappointed the shrimp cocktail was not a standard listed and not available even if asked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In October they were able to get Shrimp Cocktail for us every night, no issues.

Just off the Navigator and the menu in dining room Ok but as a person cruising for more than 30 years the cuts are really showing. The choices are fairly limited and if you are on a special diet VERY limited. The classics are EXTremely plain (could say tasteless) . I tried Red Snapper with fingerling potatoes and a greenish veggie and it was really not edible! First time ever sent back. so dry looked bad on plate and absolutely worse than banquet buffet. Granddaughter is medically limited low protein diet. Even with head waiter's kind attention had hard time finding enough for her to eat in MDR. Plain dry rice. limited veggies even if on other plates. Soy products (can not have) in almost every single dish-- and only one vegetarian offering. Thankfully more offerings in windjammer including vegetables alone rice vegetable curries .

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone gotten the Brownie Sundae on HOS? If so, how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

i did. by the end of the trip my tablemates were getting it, too. :) we had no problem getting it when we asked.

it was ok. one night the brownie was fine, one night it was really dry. had vanilla ice cream and hershey's-ish chocolate sauce. the ice cream was a bit strange, too - it tasted more like a sweet cream than a vanilla. this was on the TA, though, so they may have different suppliers here. i'm on harmony again in 3 weeks and i'm sure i'll get it a time or two.

fwiw, i tend to get the kids' chicken fingers if i don't see anything that appeals on the regular menu, and on harmony they were nuggets instead of fingers. gross. again, that may have changed since the TA. (and my tablemates laughed at me, but a couple of them ordered nuggets later in the cruise.... :p )

From my experience, the indian dish is basically the same each night.

And it was always veggie, loaded with potato.

Very heavy...

I have not experienced this on any of our cruises, and I love a curry. The lamb and chicken ones on our last cruise were excellent. I opted for one most evenings. Never heavy at all.

Looking forward to trying those entrees that have been mentioned on here :rolleyes:

The variance between ships is interesting! Just got off the Navigator 2 days ago and shrimp cocktail and escargot (and Caesar salad) were on the everyday menu. The dessert menu also listed that a selection of ice cream and sherbet is available (I recall it always having said so - you just have to inquire as to what flavors they have).

One thing that was missing was lobster night (and Italian night, which is my favorite menu!).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my experience, the indian dish is basically the same each night.

And it was always veggie, loaded with potato.

Very heavy...

That wasn't our experience on Adventure last November. Two different curries daily, with one being vegetarian. It's the "good stuff" that they make for the crew. We had a curry with okra, fish curry, gobi (cauliflower) and pea curry, Biryani and some sort spinich dal, and Rajima (? Kidney bean) curry. And those were just the ones I took photos of! No potato-based curries on the Nov 18 sailing.

One example is that I've asked for (and gotten) Key Lime Pie on nights besides night 7. :)

That may be the case with lots of things - it never hurts to ask...

I'm going to remember this...Key Lime Pie is my favorite!! It's usually served in the wj that night too....I've been known to go to the wj after dinner and take some back to the cabin for a late night snack :D

While it's technically on the menu, we always order the cheese and fruit plate as an appetizer each night that you don't usually see until handed the dessert menu. After a few days they just automatically bring one to us :)

Same with us! it's a great thing to share with the table (instead of filing up with bread/rolls while waiting)

We've also gotten this and taken it back to our cabin for later snacking with wine.

You can get almost anything your heart desires, on my last cruise my son asked for fettucine Alfredio for a appetizer they made it than asked if he would like every night he said yes and they brought it tom every night

Yes, lot easier if special requests are asked for in advance... We arranged for a special dish for whole week.

My first cruise on the Freedom I asked to have what the crew was eating. He brought me a curry dish. It was really good. After that, they just started bringing it to me each night....even after I already ordered off the menu. Lol. I got fat that trip. I seem to recall it wasn't always the same curry, but the ones I had were definitely not vegetarian.