Raiatea Drift Snorkel

Kissara22

Hi Everyone,

I already posted this on the Pacific Islands thread and thought I would check here too.

We have booked this excursion for our 11/20 sailing. I was curious to know how fast the current feels? Do you see any large fish or sea animals? Should we wear a thin vest? We're thinking about bringing our waterskiing vests with us so we can take more pictures afloat. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much

We went in Aug....the A.M. excursion it all depends on the tide, we kicked all the way through very little current it was very tight and the tide very low...we saw few fish but coral was pretty.......people in the P.M. saw tons of fish and really moved..... but many were cut and bruised......

We went in Aug....the A.M. excursion it all depends on the tide, we kicked all the way through very little current it was very tight and the tide very low...we saw few fish but coral was pretty.......people in the P.M. saw tons of fish and really moved..... but many were cut and bruised......

Can you describe what the excursion is like? I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is, even though I've read the description.

Can you describe what the excursion is like? I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is, even though I've read the description.

From Raitea they take you in a small boat up the coast of Tahaa to the north end of the island. It is a beautiful ride up and then back down the coast of Tahaa.

You land at a beach at the end of the "drift" and walk the length of the "drift". The drift area is a channel betwwen two island and the current strength depends on the tidal conditions. When we were there it flowed at a slow speed.

The primary veiw is the coral, you will see fish, but the coral is dense, close together and will be the primary sight.

After the walk to the start, the guide will collect your sandals and take them to the end of the drift in a bag, to relieve you from dealing with them. A guide will lead a group of six throught the coral, because you need to follow a course through the coral field. You need to be a good swimmer to keep in line and on course. The coral is near the surface and you should avoid contact with it because it will cut.

After we completed the drift, those of use that wanted to go again walked back to the start and did it again. They also have time for regular snorkling at the area at end of the drift.

It was a unique experience, we saw beautiful coral, and we would recommend it.

we've been twice. the first time the current was very strong. second time it was strong. we have friends that have been through when it was very light. You do need to be a strong swimmer, and need to visually stay with your guide. we'll do it again, but next time I am going to get dive gloves just in case I need to push myself away from the coral. we saw quite a few fish and some huge sea anemones with thier clown fish. very cute.

What an excellent description......

Csloan...On our particular trip the tide was so low, the guides did not want us to go a second time they took us to a total different area, out near the break water to do more snorkeling...the ocean was very rough that day..The TP even tendered. So who knows how it will be when you go, the guides try to give you the best experience....have a great time

P.S. we did wear cheap garden gloves and it really helped..pushing off the rocks...it was really shallow when we went I am sure the guides were happy we made it through with only a few scrapes..

Archived