How long before land stops moving?

cloudninecat

I experience this after every cruise. I take meclazine for a few days until my equilibrium is back to land mode!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What she said exactly. My DH usually has this problem, and this takes care of it. We also take the meclazine for the entirety of the cruise. Our last one did seem to rock and roll quite a bit. Good luck!

We had some pretty rough seas all but the last two nights. That's why my husband laughed so much about me being able to anticipate how the ship would move as everyone else was hanging on to the walls.

There is a school of thought that those who DO NOT seem to experience seasickness and who can adapt easily to the movement of the ship can actually be more prone to this phenomenon you have now after being back on land. There is a name for the syndrome: It's called "mal de debarquement," a French term. It can last from a day or two to much longer. I've had it after every one of my 13 cruises, sometimes for as much as a week, sometimes just 2-3 days. Google it for more info, but it should be self-limited, go away on its own, and leave you ready for your next cruise.

There is a school of thought that those who DO NOT seem to experience seasickness and who can adapt easily to the movement of the ship can actually be more prone to this phenomenon you have now after being back on land. There is a name for the syndrome: It's called "mal de debarquement," a French term. It can last from a day or two to much longer. I've had it after every one of my 13 cruises, sometimes for as much as a week, sometimes just 2-3 days.

THIS!!!! Describes me and DS (14) exactly. DH who is prone to motion sickness (uses the patch to cruise) does NOT experience this after a cruise. Had no idea there was an actual name for it, thank you for the info!

Edited by Drazil65

I get very sea sick and always suffer from mal de enbarkment. I will have always suffered from some sort of post motion issue. Like going to a water park and being in a wave pool then that night feeling like I was still in the wave pool. My post cruise suffering usually can linger for how ever many days I was onboard. The time (2) I used an motionsick PATCH the effect was WORSE. So I have a meclizine and ginger regiment I follow that includes pre and post cruise and it has helped a lot. We did a 2 week trip a few years back where we did the east coast with multiple planes and trains. And I was so sick during we came home early and I ended up w a cat scan because they didn't know what was wrong. The Neurologist my son saw when little said that migraine suffers were more likely to get seasick. Hope u feel better

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a school of thought that those who DO NOT seem to experience seasickness and who can adapt easily to the movement of the ship can actually be more prone to this phenomenon you have now after being back on land. There is a name for the syndrome: It's called "mal de debarquement," a French term. It can last from a day or two to much longer. I've had it after every one of my 13 cruises, sometimes for as much as a week, sometimes just 2-3 days. Google it for more info, but it should be self-limited, go away on its own, and leave you ready for your next cruise.

Interesting. I didn't know there was a name for it either. I'll definitely have to look that up. It seems to be better today, so far.

Hi,

I also have the Mal de debarquement once ervery 2 cruises. The longuest is lasted for me was 6 weeks:eek: It went gradually away. But cruising is worth it. After our transat last fall I had it for 10 days but without nausea, which is much better!

Hang in tere!

I get it every now and then. At first, it was like walking drunk. (Kind of fun actually!) But it didn't happen when I was driving or in a moving vehicle.

Now when I get it, it's mainly when i am back to work, sitting at my desk. I get the sensation that my computer monitors seem to move in and out (get closer and then farther).

I get this after every cruise. Once it lasted for almost a month before it went away! On cruises since that time, I take gravol before bed the first night after the cruise and it goes right away thankfully. I've alway felt it was odd that motion on the ship doesn't bother me, but being on land afterwards does!

Now I feel better knowing I'm not alone! Usually the odd sensation after a cruise only lasts a few days, but this time it has lasted close to a month. I'll try the ginger next time after a cruise and if that doesn't help, maybe the gravol. Thanks all for the insight!

With me it depends on how rough the seas are. It usually lasts anywhere from 2-3 days. It also hits me in different ways. One cruise it only affected me standing, then the next cruise I only felt it laying down (which was kind of nice actually). Our last cruise was smooth the entire time and I never felt the rocking when we got back.

I usually get this after every cruise but just for a couple of days....last April I was on a 10 day cruise.....when I got off the ship ....it continued....worse case is called mal de debarquement....OMG....It lasted almost a MONTH! Horrible....don't let it stop me from cruising but when it lasts that long....:(