MIA airport to FLL airport via Tri Rail

cpayne

We need to get from MIA airport to FLL airport. Considering using Tri Rail, but can't quite figure out the logistics. Anyone done this? Easy to do? Approx cost and time between airports?

Before anyone says anything.....I've first tried searching the boards. Everything I find is airport to hotel or airport to cruise terminal. I was unable to find airport to airport. I'm sure the info is out there, but I could not locate it.

Thanks in advance.

We need to get from MIA airport to FLL airport. Considering using Tri Rail, but can't quite figure out the logistics. Anyone done this? Easy to do? Approx cost and time between airports?

Before anyone says anything.....I've first tried searching the boards. Everything I find is airport to hotel or airport to cruise terminal. I was unable to find airport to airport. I'm sure the info is out there, but I could not locate it.

Thanks in advance.

As long as your starting point is MIA then it's not so difficult, but if you are paying for transportation to MIA just to ride TriRail, it's a waste of time and money.

At MIA TriRail is easy to catch. The platform is on the lower level below the rental car facility. On the weekends, the fare is $5 per person and the train only runs once per hour at :17 after the hour. It takes 40 minutes to get to FLL Airport station at I-95 and Griffin Road. From there you have to take the free shuttle to FLL that is 4 miles away. Again, the train only runs once per hour on the weekend as will the FLL shuttle.

Is FLL your final destination or are you trying to get to a FLL area hotel?

http://www.tri-rail.com/connection-maps/032516_FLA1_Route.pdf

Edited by Lido_Deck

More expensive than the option described above, but much more convenient, is to use Uber -- door to door for about $40 for the vehicle (travelling solo or up to about 3 plus bags in an UberX

If they are flying into MIA and trying to get to a Ft Lauderdale hotel, then they should look at booking Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn or Homewood Suites, ride TriRail to the Griffin Road stop and then literally walk across the street to one of those hotels.

If they are trying to get to FLL just to catch a free shuttle to a FLL Airport area hotel it seems like a big waste of time unless they have an incredible rate at that hotel.

We are flying in to MIA and staying at a FLL hotel for our cruise the next morning. We do have a great hotel rate....FREE! Marriott had a promo last yr if you stayed so many nts you recd a free nt stay in addition to your hotel points. Free stay was about to expire so perfect timing for our cruise. Hotel has free FLL airport and cruise shuttle. Based on when our flt arrives that day compared to the :17 train departure will likely determine whether we opt for train or uber. Train doesn't sound as quick and easy as hoped to save a few $$.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks in advance.

we just sailed in December from Miami, flew in and out of FLL.....

We used QLS transportation from FLL to our hotel in Miami pre-cruise. We used them again when we disembarked because the fare was only $3 more than taking a taxi to Miami Tri-rail station and then the tri-Rail to FLL.

(Our son lives in West Palm, so we used QLS to FLL and then took the tri-rail. Be advised: the Tri Rail to FLL Airport is NOT exactly at the airport. There is a free shuttle bus from the FLL Airport station to the Airport, approx a 10-15 minute ride, that comes every 30 minutes or so?)

We are all about saving money too, but if you book online prior to your trip it is usually much less money than trying to get a ride that day. RCCL has a bus from the port of MIA to FLL airport but it's $30 per person ONE WAY. We paid $28 for two people using QLS Transportation.

You can also try SAS transportation, and as a side note there were many Uber pickups on disembark day as well- you may want to check into that too.

If you still want to try the Mia -Fll tri rail: It's going to cost you $28 or so to take a Taxi to Miami airport, then you'll need to purchase a TriRail ticker per person (maybe $3 each??) then get on the TriRail, get off at the correct FLL station (there are two, make sure you get off at the Airport station), then hopefully get the next shuttle to the airport... in my opinion, it would take the same amount of travel time without the hassle to just book a shared shuttle.

The trirail itself is nice- we took it from FLL to West Palm and back. Got off at FLL Airport station and actually RAN with all our luggage, to the waiting shuttle bus to the airport. We made it, but there is nobody to help you on and off the shuttles or trirails and the trirail makes their stop and leaves within seconds- so be ready!

Edited by mimirdh

The QLS and SASS shuttles do not appear to go from the Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal back to Miami airport on our return. Does anyone know a shuttle that will go from Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal to Miami airport? Would like to look into this versus Uber in case of surge pricing. Thanks

We are flying in to MIA and staying at a FLL hotel for our cruise the next morning. We do have a great hotel rate....FREE! Marriott had a promo last yr if you stayed so many nts you recd a free nt stay in addition to your hotel points. Free stay was about to expire so perfect timing for our cruise. Hotel has free FLL airport and cruise shuttle. Based on when our flt arrives that day compared to the :17 train departure will likely determine whether we opt for train or uber. Train doesn't sound as quick and easy as hoped to save a few $$.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You do know, Courtyard, Residence Inn and Fairfield Inn all across the street from the FLL Airport train station stop are all Marriott FLL Airport properties, right? If you are booked at any of those hotels you simply walk across the street and forget taking the TriRail shuttle to FLL Airport in order to catch a hotel shuttle back to where you started from after getting off the train.

we just sailed in December from Miami, flew in and out of FLL.....

We used QLS transportation from FLL to our hotel in Miami pre-cruise. We used them again when we disembarked because the fare was only $3 more than taking a taxi to Miami Tri-rail station and then the tri-Rail to FLL.

(Our son lives in West Palm, so we used QLS to FLL and then took the tri-rail. Be advised: the Tri Rail to FLL Airport is NOT exactly at the airport. There is a free shuttle bus from the FLL Airport station to the Airport, approx a 10-15 minute ride, that comes every 30 minutes or so?)

We are all about saving money too, but if you book online prior to your trip it is usually much less money than trying to get a ride that day. RCCL has a bus from the port of MIA to FLL airport but it's $30 per person ONE WAY. We paid $28 for two people using QLS Transportation.

You can also try SAS transportation, and as a side note there were many Uber pickups on disembark day as well- you may want to check into that too.

If you still want to try the Mia -Fll tri rail: It's going to cost you $28 or so to take a Taxi to Miami airport, then you'll need to purchase a TriRail ticker per person (maybe $3 each??) then get on the TriRail, get off at the correct FLL station (there are two, make sure you get off at the Airport station), then hopefully get the next shuttle to the airport... in my opinion, it would take the same amount of travel time without the hassle to just book a shared shuttle.

The trirail itself is nice- we took it from FLL to West Palm and back. Got off at FLL Airport station and actually RAN with all our luggage, to the waiting shuttle bus to the airport. We made it, but there is nobody to help you on and off the shuttles or trirails and the trirail makes their stop and leaves within seconds- so be ready!

Also, the Quality Inn on State Rd in Fort Lauderdale has a Shuttle to Port of Miami and its really cheap...like $20. I dont know if they will pick you up at Miami and bring you all the way TO their hotel tho.

We are booked at the Courtyard Plantation location which unfortunately is not right across the street from the Tri-Rail. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Well...I live in Plantation and Courtyard (just a few blocks from my home) has a Port Everglades shuttle, but it's $12 per person departing at 10:00 AM, 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM.

Can you get the same deal at the aforementioned Marriott properties which are located only a $20 cab ride (Uber less) from Port Everglades?

I would love for you to enjoy Plantation, but it appears you are going to spend a lot of money just to get here and then to Port Everglades.

The QLS and SASS shuttles do not appear to go from the Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal back to Miami airport on our return. Does anyone know a shuttle that will go from Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal to Miami airport? Would like to look into this versus Uber in case of surge pricing. Thanks

Most of the popular FLL based shuttles are not licensed to service the MIA airport. Check with Go Airport, Super Shuttle and American Shuttle - about $30+ per person the last time I checked. Uber should be about $40-45 and a taxi will cost about $75-80+tip

PE to MIA is one time the cruise transfer bus may be a good options.