Best Beaches in Tortola?

Jim The Lizard

On Tortola I'd argue for Cane Garden Bay. It's my favorite beach in the Caribbean - even better than the favs on St. Thomas or St. John (Magen's Bay & Trunk Bay).

(Caveat - when I was there we were staying on the beach for a week, and there were no cruise ships there during that time, so it might be a lot different now.)

Part of the beach:

Virgin%20Islands%20068_zpssu15vimv.jpg

View of Cane Garden Bay from our rented condo:

Virgin%20Islands%20085_zpso4ziytsu.jpg

We were at Cane Garden Bay in November 2016. We loved the relaxing atmosphere and it was not overly crowded.

It is not a great place for snorkeling but the water was beautiful and we enjoyed our day there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jost Van Dyke! When we docked in Tortola last year, it seemed like hundreds of people were taking the excursion to the baths. Only about 30-40 of us took a boat to JVD. We had the whole beach to ourselves and it was honestly my favorite excursion. The Soggy Dollar Bar is wonderful; we had breakfast on the beach. The water is beautiful, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Tortola: We found a cab driver and asked him to take us to a “locals” beach and he took us to Brewers Bay Beach. We were literally the only people on the beach aside from the man who owns the beach rental/beverage stand. The taxi ride was $10.00/pp. Because you are literally in the middle of nowhere, if you choose to go to this beach arrange with the taxi driver to pick you up at a specific time and tell him that you will pay him for both rides when he picks you up. Most of them will be happy to do this because it guarantees him a fare and then you can rest assured that you will be picked up. The snorkeling at this beach was unbelievable.

Have only visited Tortola once and went to Brewer's Bay. It was a good place to avoid the crowds and enjoy the sand and water. Snorkeling from beach was good, but not great. We took a taxi and had a mix-up about the return trip. Turned out not to be an issue as the restaurant/bar where you can rent chairs made quick arrangements with a local taxi driver for our return to the ship. Same fee as the ride there which we arranged after disembarking the ship. Can't remember the price but I'm thinking around $30 total each way for all 5 of us. Both trips were in air-conditioned but "well-traveled" vans. Both drivers were friendly.

For our group, Brewers Bay was a perfect choice for a place to just hang out and relax without much (if any) bother from beach vendors. Water is very calm and drops off slowly. Plenty of space for full sun or shade in the palm trees. Insects were not an issue when we were there.