cheers program not active until day 2 from galveston?

ginger123snaps

We just sailed Royal Carribean liberty of the seas out of galveston during the summer and we had the drink package. We were able to order drinks day 1 with our package. Why on Carnival is there a restriction and they can't activate the package until day 2? They claim it is a state law and they have no control over this. Anybody know why this would not be the case on royal carribean?

There is a Texas law that any alcohol served must a) have paid Texas taxes, and b) must have gone through a Texas licensed distributor. There is also language that prohibits a bar from giving away free drinks, drink memberships, etc.

I do not know how RCL allows it legally while CCL does not.

My guess is that the alcohol served on Carnival ships has NOT been procured through a Texas distributor and that therefore they have not paid Texas tax on it. Most likely Carnival is loading their alcohol in a foreign port such as Cozumel.

The drink package is neither a comp nor a "free" membership as guests are actually paying for it, so no law I am aware of would be broken by offering one. If RCCL is serving alcohol on Day 1 then they must be provisioning in Texas through a licensed distributor and are paying tax on it as required.

It is also possible that RCCL have obtained a Texas liquor license to sell alcohol whereas Carnival has elected not to.

This is the only logical answer I can come up with.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

RCCL gets some (but not all) of its alcohol in TX, so the drink menu is restricted and you pay an extra TX tax per drink (like 60 cents in a beer) until the ship is out of TX waters.

So Carnival is not being entirely straight when they say it's beyond their control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same issue up here in New York City, Cheers is not available until day 2, but I've heard on NCL and RCCL it's able to be used upon boarding. Just like you can't use Cheers on Carnival's private island (Half moon cay), but you can use it on NCL and RCCL's private islands. Thinking, as another member posted, this has something to do with Carnival cutting corners/saving money and not purchasing TX/NY taxed alcohol; or not buying the license to serve it.

Edited by RHilla619