Fitness & swimming on Celebrity cruises.

Marvy Mare

I rather thought I made it clear I was referring to the pool in the Solarium which is much larger than the outdoor "dip" pools!! The whole ambience of the Solarium pool is different to the picture posted here!

I stick by my comment. There are several pools plenty for both dippers/chatter and people who need to exercise !!

The solarium pool is absolutely not appropriate for lap swimming. First, it's as small as (if not smaller) than any other ship's pool. It's also heated to an almost uncomfortable degree. Last time, on the Summit, some man tried to swim. Two strokes and he was at the other side, and he kept plowing into people.

If you need to "exercise" in a pool, why not do water aerobic moves where you move your arms and legs while virtually standing in place? Doing this off to the side in any pool would not impact anyone. Doing laps in any of the tiny pools would.

And since a cruise is a vacation, and not a therapy/rehab facility, I firmly believe the dippers and chatters have every right to do so.

Edited by warmwinds

I kind of wish Celebrity Cruises hadn't posted that information....and I seriously hope it's wrong....because anything less than 77 degrees is actually unsafe...per many sources.

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

Surely you jest..or perhaps have been out in that Florida sun too long :). There are an awful lot of folks who spend time in water below 77 degrees including just about everyone who swims in Northeast US sea resorts (such as in New Jersey, New York, Mass, etc) as well as those who swim in the Pacific where its seldom anywhere near 77. And then there are those of us raised near lakes where the water temps were in the low 70s (or colder). And then we could talk about other parts of the world (like the UK) where plenty of folks routinely swim in waters that never reach 77. Of course one should use some common sense and limit the time in cold water. When we were kids our Moms would make us get out of the water when our lips started turning blue/purple :).

Hank

Surely you jest..or perhaps have been out in that Florida sun too long :). There are an awful lot of folks who spend time in water below 77 degrees including just about everyone who swims in Northeast US sea resorts (such as in New Jersey, New York, Mass, etc) as well as those who swim in the Pacific where its seldom anywhere near 77. And then there are those of us raised near lakes where the water temps were in the low 70s (or colder). And then we could talk about other parts of the world (like the UK) where plenty of folks routinely swim in waters that never reach 77. Of course one should use some common sense and limit the time in cold water. When we were kids our Moms would make us get out of the water when our lips started turning blue/purple :).

Hank

Below 70 is considered dangerous. Laps should be done above 77. Pool temperatures are suggested to be between 77 and 82. Under 77 could be unsafe for some. What "Celebrity Cruises" said about the onboard pool temperature was weird.

Edited by Charles4515

I am an ex (long time) competitive swimmer. I have severe osteoarthritis so swimming has to be my exercise.

I have found the indoor Solarium pool on the Eclipse to be fine to swim in..... the length is just about long enough. The outdoor pools would be a non starter as they are only fit ti "dip" into. The indoor pool on the Constellation was far too hot to swim in being a therapy pool - a non-starter.

As for the comments from people re people trying to swim in the pool..... you wouldn't obstruct the people jogging or brisk walking on the track for exercise why do you have this not too helpful attitude towards people having to/needing to swim ? I admit to finding it very mean when people just stand around in the larger pool to "cool off/chat" so preventing anyone swimming lengths. I mean you can stand nearer the sides of the pool and do that just as well. On one pool session there were 3 women who took up the whole swim space in the pool with their non-activity and chat. The could have just as easily have gone in the outdoor area or kept to the side of the pool as it was obvious I was trying to swim. Very inconsiderate.

In my experience the solarium pool is generally too crowded (and small) for lap swimming but is perfect for engaging in vigorous pool walking and performing constant ancillary escercises while perrforming said pool walking. Of course it is important to keep a bottle of water handy while pursuing said exercises vis-a-vis to assist with staying hydrated.

I am speaking of the Solarium pool on the Solstice ships - the Eclipse. I have already said that the Therapy pool on The Constellation i.e. its indoor pool is not suitable for swimming in. The length of the Eclipse can accommodate a swimmer and of course if it is busy people can't swim the same as if there were just a few people in it. As I said.... there is plenty of room at the sides of the pool for people to just relax, stand and chat - so why can't they leave the mis section for people who wish to swim? I find it too shallow in parts for aqua aerobic exercise. I have also helped people with their swimming in there as it is a nice depth for none too confident novice learner swimmers.

I am speaking of the Solarium pool on the Solstice ships - the Eclipse. I have already said that the Therapy pool on The Constellation i.e. its indoor pool is not suitable for swimming in. The length of the Eclipse can accommodate a swimmer and of course if it is busy people can't swim the same as if there were just a few people in it. As I said.... there is plenty of room at the sides of the pool for people to just relax, stand and chat - so why can't they leave the mis section for people who wish to swim? I find it too shallow in parts for aqua aerobic exercise. I have also helped people with their swimming in there as it is a nice depth for none too confident novice learner swimmers.

I have honestly never seen people standing right in the middle of a pool to chat and cool off - whether this be on a cruise or in a hotel pool. Really? People have just stood dead center in a pool? I would certainly in that case just start my exercising laps and most would retreat to the sides. If, however, the pool is so crowded around the periphery that some did have to stand in the center, then that is different.

To chime in again.... On the Eclipse in December the hot tubs were always crowded, morning and afternoon. So I needed to figure something out and started going in the evening after dinner or the show. The Solarium pool was empty in the evenings. So if you "have" to swim, then that is the best time to do it. When done swimming just shower, get dressed and enjoy the rest of the evening (like I did).

What hours are the fitness center and the pools open on the Constellation? I'm an early morning person and sometimes find it frustrating that some cruise lines don't open these facilities until 7 or 8 am.

Also do they tend to play music in the fitness center when classes not in session?

Less so now, but when we were younger, we often returned from a cruise fitter than we boarded...

We ate and drank what we wanted, only dipped in the pools and never used the gym.

What kept us fit were the excursions! Hours swimming and snorkelling off wonderful beaches, almost running around Mediterranean towns and cities to see as much as we could, climbing up hills and mountains in exotic places because they were there!

I honestly wouldn't worry too much if on sea days your exercise routine falls a little just make sure you make the most of your ports of call.

I have not been on the Reflection but on other ship, the bikes did have pedals you could clip in. But, the bikes were only able to be used during a class.

Thank you!