New Southwast Asia trips

TruJeffie

I see Viking offered some new Southeast Asia trips. I was looking forward to these offerings but they seem to be in the wrong months for ideal weather and the iteniaries seem somewhat lacking a great overview of the area. I may purchase the Southeast Asia and Hong Kong trip. http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/asia-australia/southeast-asia-hong-kong/index.html Any thought? Surprised it spends 3 days in Ho Chi Minh City.

Edited by TruJeffie

I would do a River based cruise of the area Mekong /vietnam/cambodia especially so you can see Ankor Wat. You could do a pre/post in Hong Kong or Bangkok depending on the cruise line. Also the Irrawaddy River would be great too and give you an amazing introduction to a wonderful culture.

I have thought about river cursing but not sure I would be happy with the lack of aninimity that a river cruise allows. River cruises have such wnderful itenieries all over the world but as a private person not sure it would be to my liking

You are correct River Cruising is a more intimate experience. We found that if we travel with at least one other couple it can insulate us from a certain amount of constant "small talk." That being said we have met some wonderful people whom we would happily cruise with again........and others that we would avoid.

One very positive is the relationship that can develop with the tour director/guides on the River! Being able to concentrate on one region and culture is wonderful.

We are about to do a couple Viking Ocean voyages but not sure that we won't always prefer the small group experience.

I have thought about river cursing but not sure I would be happy with the lack of aninimity that a river cruise allows. River cruises have such wnderful itenieries all over the world but as a private person not sure it would be to my liking

I actually liked the smaller (less than 200) passengers on a Viking Longship altho I think the passenger capacity on SE Asia trips may be even less. I'm both a private and a social person - but I think that if you want to remain anonymous - even on a small boat - you can. You won't be anonymous to the crew of course, which is part of what you pay for anyway. In any case, they will be respectful of your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav